Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: steelhead and flyrod

Default steelhead and flyrod

Would like to hear from some of you experts out there.
    I have a 6wt and a 10wt. Both are 9'
    Which one would you choose to use in the end of April, Yakutat area
    Would rather not buy new gear but have never caught a steelhead.
    Thanks

I fished that area for 25 years and I WOULD NOT use a 6wt. The fish are too big and there are too many logs and snags. You will take way to long to get those fish in. If you have a 10 and don't want to buy another, use that. I always used a 7 or mostly an 8 wt.

I agree with BN2FSH. 7 wght or higher. The extra weight in the rod will help you keep the fish under control and out of the snags.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    I agree with BN2FSH. 7 wght or higher. The extra weight in the rod will help you keep the fish under control and out of the snags.
    Longer rods typically have more backbone and this also applies to higher modulus graphite.. 6 weight can be a great rod if it is a high modulus 10'+ rod that is more then equal to most 7 or 8wts..

Default Both!

I'd take em' both, If your 6wt is stout, you can fish that and have your 10wt as a back-up. If you're only going to take one rod, take the 10wt, there are sttelhead over 40" in that area, the more backbone and stronger drag will last through more fish. I can imagine a pig of a steelhead tearing-up a 6wt pretty quick. See you there!
    -J
    Last edited by jay51; 04-04-2010 at 17:27. Reason: grammar

I've caught some nice steelhead on 6wt fly rods. My kid catches big steelhead all the time on a lil light trout rod I spooled with 10lb test for him. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    I'd take em' both, If your 6wt is stout, you can fish that and have your 10wt as a back-up. If you're only going to take one rod, take the 10wt, there are sttelhead over 40" in that area, the more backbone and stronger drag will last through more fish. I can imagine a pig of a steelhead tearing-up a 6wt pretty quick. See you there!
    -J
    Throwing a 10 wt is very impractical.. Not only will the rod be too heavy to fish all day and all week, have you ever heard the expression "steelhead are the fish of a 1000 casts?" I would rather throw a light line and have a tough battle then throw a heavy line for an unsporting battle....

Leave the 10 wt at home and be prepared to get your but kicked for the fish you do hook.

Default reel

sounds like I need to put a nice reel on the 6wt if I take it.

You need something exactly in the middle. My favorite steelhead rod is a 9'6" 8wt. Nice problem too have.

You boys are tempting me to tote the 6wt fly rod tomorrow.. I'm a jig fishermen through and through, but I've been know to slum a fly swatter once in awhile.

Default 270Ti

What rod and reel set up do you use when fishing the jigs? What lbs test line and what type?
    My friend is a jig guy to, matter of fact he is at home pouring them as we speak, getting ready for the trip.

We have never been there but he is a steelhead guy with experience.

What can we expect as far as the water, weather, fish numbers, pressure and bears?? 29 Apr- 1 May.

Thanks

I use an 8'6" Fenwick HMG IM7 Light action spinning rod. Rated 4-15lb test. 2500 Shimano Sahara spinning reel with 10lb Maxima. First Cast jigs.. Did I mention First Cast jigs? (trust me on that)

I'm thinking you'll be perfect for bears. Spring has arrived and things are getting green. Should still be some good steelhead around too. I'm usually fishing in the salt by then for kings/hali though. On POW it's all about knowing the holes, and most importantly, knowing were the trails into the holes are. If you know the holes, they ain't fish of a thousand casts..

That being said, the weather is the weather. Ya never know what it'll do.

Spring fish are big and head for the willows, a 6 wt will not suffice, and hurt the fish unnecessarily (you'll play them to death). I'm buying a 9 wt for spring steel this year because my 7 just isn't enough
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Spring fish are big and head for the willows, a 6 wt will not suffice, and hurt the fish unnecessarily (you'll play them to death). I'm buying a 9 wt for spring steel this year because my 7 just isn't enough
    Exactly! I fish a 9wt too, I guess we're both impractical and unsporting for wanting to land fish in a timely manner. I fished my 9wt for a week straight last year in Yak, wasn't too heavy for me, and every fish I hooked was a hell of a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Throwing a 10 wt is very impractical.. Not only will the rod be too heavy to fish all day and all week, have you ever heard the expression "steelhead are the fish of a 1000 casts?" I would rather throw a light line and have a tough battle then throw a heavy line for an unsporting battle....

Leave the 10 wt at home and be prepared to get your but kicked for the fish you do hook.

I used a 10wt my first year down there for 9 days 12 hours a day. Went down to an 8wt since, just because I upgraded. Gotta man up and use whats right. Don't make the fish suffer because you can't handle the rod.

No way I would use a 6wt, I have had my 8wt pushed to the limits on that river which resulted in over stressed fish. A 6wt would have broke or left them dying.

Powder Monkey is spot on!!!

Default I use a 7 wt

I used a G Loomis GL3 7 wt for fall steelies in the aleutians last fall and also caught ocean fresh coho with it. It seemed to do the trick. I was able to land all my fish fairly quickly and effeciently but it was still a fun battle. I wouldn't want to go any lower than that though.

I fish BIG B-run steelies in ID, the 8's and 9's are preferred for all of the reasons already outlined.

Here's a link for the local fly-shop in Yak, the river report will give you a good idea what to expect.

http://www.situk.net/river_reports_index.htm

Good Fishin'
    -J

Default thanks

Appreciate all the info.

Just checked my rod supply and I do have an eight weight. I will be using it.

I will assume you are using floating flyline? Is this correct?

I will be going to the flyshop website in just a second.

I am asking all of these questions because this is the first real fly fishing trip( not FLIPPING ) which is what I am used to. In this state anyway. I have fly fished for trout in Colorado quite a bit.

Pretty excited is all I can say.

Thanks again and keep the info coming,

FEEL FREE to send some pointers on techniques and what not!!

Default Which wt?

covered well......7wt and a 8wt have both worked great for me.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast