Thread: New to Fly-fishing, need some help!

Default New to Fly-fishing, need some help!

so this is my second year in AK and i had a great fishing season last year, but i have to admit my buddies with fly-rods had a lot better one! with that i want to take on fly fishing this year. im a begginer at best, i have fly-fished some and understand methods but im no means good. i want to get a good begginer set-up and i dont want to spend a ton of money on one. does anyone have any recommendations on a decent/cheaper fly rod??? i would like any links would be great! thanks guys!

Take a look into the Temple Fork Outfitters, Loop, or Echo rods - they have some nice rods that won't fully deplete the wallet. Most importantly, go to a fly shop or get with someone that has one and test cast it.

I started off with a cheap-o shakespeare combo years ago - I caught lots of fish with it and gained lots of muscle in my right arm by heaving the beast all day long. However up here there are larger specimens you'll be dealing with and although the Ugly Sticks will work, they might not be manufactured (i.e. the ferrules) as well as the more expensive rods.

Recommend you look into the rods mentioned above...

I've mentioned ww griggs before on this forum, and will do so again. they cost around 50 bucks, if i remember correctly. good graphite. well built for the money.

I had several friends who were starting out that bought them in the 2 piece 8 weight. nice, light rod, that comes with a rod case...I bought a 6 weight in the four piece, and still fish it from time to time...some models i've seen in the four piece models appear to be a little thick and heavy.

happy hunting...

Go to Juneau Fly Fishing Goods, talk to Brad.

He carries some airflo products already, he can get an Echo rod for you.

And while you are at the shop, sign up for a class, seriously those guys are good.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default +1 for Temple fork and Echo

And there are probably others...but...look for their rods between 130 and 180 bucks, this usually means they come with a lifetime or 25 year (same thing) warranty. Their actions are very comparable to the ridiculous rods, They may be a bit heavier but are waaaaay lighter than the shakespeare beginning set up already mentioned. I cast a lot, have the ridiculous rods but have enjoyed using TFO's and Echo's and barring getting a great deal on a sage, orvis, etc. will probably be fishing these brands in the future. Leaves more money for boat gas.

The reason to go for these over the entry level rods, is that if you get into it, you will within a few seasons, be casting better than your entry level rod will really allow. The echo that I use has great power but a tip with enough flex to let you have some forgiveness on loading the rod, and nice sensitivity for delicate casting and rolling. So it is kind to the beginner and rewarding to the novice and even agreeable to the expert.

As far as the reel goes....don't get too bent on spending a lot of cash on that at first. The rod is easily the most important (and a decent line....don't go too cheap, it defeats the point of a nice rod). Most reels will be more than sufficient for what you (and I) want to do. Spend 40 now and once you have the fever, look at the 100 to 200 dollar range....spending more is turd polishing unless you are looking at saltwater etc. (IMHO) and in the end they can just be nicer, smoother to use but are not a necessity to play and land most fish.

I rather think the griggs and lamiglass rods are rather heavy and the actions a little limp. Go for something faster and you will not be sorry.

Welcome to the sport and enjoy, I'm not sure I'd say flyfishing is going to get you more fish (in Alaska at least) but it's just a lot of fun, and as I spend my last few months in the pacific northwest before returning to AK, I have come to more fully appreciate how much fun casting is as I kill the hours (if not days) between bites fishing in these pretty but underpopulated waters.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Go to Juneau Fly Fishing Goods, talk to Brad.

He carries some airflo products already, he can get an Echo rod for you.
    I have been there and the problem is their cheapest rod is around 300!! i plan on buying flys there and maybe taking classes but their rods are just out of my leauge... im only in AK for 1 maybe 2 more season so im not looking to spend that much. But thanks though.
    Thanks for the help guys im looking for something in the 100-150 range to start with.

I'd suggest looking at the cabela's or similar combos. They are usually pretty decent for the price.

Learning to flyfish on a $300 rod is kind of silly, IMO, but I see it every year here.
    Nice Marmot.

Check out the St. Croix rods. I've never fished one, but have heard good things about them. For around $100 you can get a decent rod with a 5-year warranty - something to let you see if fly fishing is really your thing. From about $180 and up you can get a rod with a lifetime warranty.

At the moment, Cabelas is clearing out the Triumph rods for $40 off normal price...
    St. Croix rods at Cabelas
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Rods

I was in Mt View sports the other day and they had some new rods in there, I can't remember the name of them but it was a rod reel and line all ready to go for like $150. Ross worldwide maybe.....?

Ross essence has a nice little setup, Also like said before a TFO, i like the pfleuger pesident series reels.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    I have been there and the problem is their cheapest rod is around 300!!
    Ross Essence - $180