Thread: Best all around waterproof light camera for backpack hunts

Default Best all around waterproof light camera for backpack hunts

In the market for a new digital camera that is waterproof,light for backpack hunts. My friend has a Pentax W60 he is completely satisfied with.Anybody else have a recommendation?

Thanks, BIG 27
    “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

ive got an olympus stylus 1030 SW. its waterproof ( takes pics underwater, down to 30 feet) and shock proof. Its got alot of cool features and is 10.1 megapixel and i think it was worth the money. it fits in my back pocket with ease and it very light and compact.

Release Lake Trout

Default Olympus

I have a Olympus Stylus 720 SW, it is shock and water proof. It is several years old, but works great. I have taken it all over the state, even took it scuba diving in Brazil and never had a problem. Olympus now has a tough series that is similar to what I bought. Worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ive got an olympus stylus 1030 SW. its waterproof ( takes pics underwater, down to 30 feet) and shock proof. Its got alot of cool features and is 10.1 megapixel and i think it was worth the money. it fits in my back pocket with ease and it very light and compact.
    I have this same camera and it does more than I need it too. The shock and waterproof is what sold me, haven't used it underwater but it's been wet on a few occasions.

The olympus stylus 1030 SW.

I agree with Muskie and Hunt&Fish, I have had that same Olympus for almost 2 years and it is great. Works well in the cold, takes good pics, good battery life and it is waterproof. Great all around camera.
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Default olympus

same as the other posters on this thread... I have the olympus water/shock proof and it is TERRIFIC!!! we use it for everything from family pics to my remote fly in arctic hunts... its great.

G

I got the Olympus 550WP about a month ago and it also waterproof and shock resistant. Nice addition to the pack.

A ziplock baggie always helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    In the market for a new digital camera that is waterproof,light for backpack hunts. My friend has a Pentax W60 he is completely satisfied with.Anybody else have a recommendation?

Thanks, BIG 27
    I also have the w60 and have been very happy, however I would sell it to you and upgrade to a

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...axoptiow90.asp

Default +1 Pentax Optio...but like the covers on those Olympus...

I'm sold on waterproof digital. Good results including underwater pics with my Pentax Optio. I would buy another. Excellent optics, functions, battery life and no problems over 5, maybe 6 years? long time.

The Olympus models mentioned though look like they have a protective cover that slides over the lens. Seems a worthwhile feature.

you know the fun part about these cameras is you can show em off to your buddies ( like i did mine).....i said hey man check out my new camera, sweet right? see here i wanna take a picture of the top of your tank, oops i dropped in the tank....friend: what the hell you Idiot whatd you do that for"? and im like chill man its waterproof! then their like ooooh! ahhhh! nice toy!

Release Lake Trout

OK, my first post seems to have been deleted by an Olympus biased moderator. I guess I should tone it down a notch.

dpreview.com recommends the Canon D10 or Panasonic TS1 for it choice in small waterproof cameras. I bought the TS1. Great little camera, but it's been replaced by the TS2 that has slightly improved specs.

Default Oops!

False accusation here. I posted a reply on a different forum to the same question, and was confused that I didn't see it here. Sorry Mr Moderator Sir. You're doing a fine job. Never mind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    False accusation here. I posted a reply on a different forum to the same question, and was confused that I didn't see it here. Sorry Mr Moderator Sir. You're doing a fine job. Never mind me.
    Sounds like 40 lashes with a wet noodle would rectify the situation.