Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Caribou hunt

Default Cheap Caribou hunt

A few of my buddies and I will be back from a deployment We where looking for some information on some good areas to do some spring bear hunting when we get back then a caribou hunt next fall have heard a lot about haul road and just recenlty Chicken ak can anyone tell us which they would prefer and give us and idea on some prices?

Default what do you have??

ATV's, boats, plane, ??????

Not sure about your question but I bet their are allot of people here who could help if you give them a better Idea of what your working with.
    Also include what type of guys will be doing the hunting, begginers-Advanced? This apply's to Alaska hunting only.
    Welcome back and thank you for your service.
    I have 17 days untill I'm Out out out completly.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Sir thank you for getting back to me we would probably be doing atv and archery congrats on finishing up your carrer we where just looking for a few pointers or at least an area to start looking for them and size animal is a trophy for us so.

Default Caribou Hunt

First of, where are you guys located, Anchorage, Fairbanks? As for the caribou hunt, the haul road hunt offers many opportunities for caribou. If ya'll are bowhunter's, then you have the 5-mile corridor to hunt as a bow only area. This area covers 5 miles to the east and west of the haul road in Unit 26. Once you get outside of the 5-mile corridor you can hunt with a rifle, but be sure you know where you are on a map/gps because they can get you for it. This area is only accessible by foot, float hunt or fly-in, no motorized vehicles allowed to access these areas, i.e. ATV, snow machine, etc. As for the time frame, focus more on September or October, there will be less mosquito's during these times. I hope this helps you a little to get started, but with more specific questions, you might get a better response.

Thanks for serving, stay safe and see you back home!

Terry

We are located at Elmendorf in Anchorage sorry i was just trying to get a basic Idea still trying to get use to all of the rules up there

Duckaholic,
    Be warned...there are no "cheap" harvest ticket caribou hunts for anyone who lives in Anchorage. Assuming you'll hunt either Chicken or the Dalton, it costs a few hundred dollars just to buy the gas to make the trip.

In my case, my Haul Road trips have averaged 6 full tanks of fuel so there's a chunk o' cash right off the top. Of course that can be split by going in a group.

If your group has ATVs then Chicken is a good option as it gives you the ability to move to the animals. The downside to Chicken is it tends to get hit hard and you usually have to put a lot of miles over rough country to find the caribou. This means you're carrying extra fuel.

If you're planning to hunt the haul road then gas and food is about your only expenses. But it takes 4 days on average just to get there and back. Hunting the tundra on foot is tough on the knees and ankles but a few hundred caribou are killed by bowhunters there every year. If you plan on humping the 5 miles then definitely carry a GPS and treat this like a sheep hunt. Meaning to say, carry camp on your back and plan for a day to get outside the corridor, then take your budgeted days to make a camp and hunt, then plan on a day or two to hump meat and camp back to the road. If you have buddies and you split the driving you can make the push from Deadhorse (as far as you can drive) in about 18 hours.

Welcome home and good luck.

Default Well

Don't try to do anything on the cheap when you have the money to do it the right way.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-06-2010 at 08:56.

The haul road is getting pretty popular and if you want to hunt within five miles of the road you have to use a bow, so that means you have to have a archery certification. The chicken hunt is a registration hunt (fortymile herd) that I believe starts around aug. 10th and will close when quota is filled, within a few days usually. Then starts back up Dec. 1st. and usually closes in one or two days... Do your research and happy hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    The chicken hunt is a registration hunt (fortymile herd) that I believe starts around aug. 10th and will close when quota is filled, within a few days usually.
    Not any longer. The 40 Mile hunt this year will start on August 28th due to recent Board of Game actions.

323 gave the best advice..................don't do anything "cheap"!
    Thanks for a morning chuckle 323.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Not any longer. The 40 Mile hunt this year will start on August 28th due to recent Board of Game actions.
    mmmmm.. NOT exactly Brian.

the Board gave the Dept F&G administrative authority to make changes of dates for openers, access restrictions, method of take etc.. based on WHERE the herd was located. the AUG 28th is a proposed date to allow dispersment of the herd prior to opeing of the season.. there is a good chance that the date could change on short notice, this hunt will have to be watched very carfully this year, for planning purposes, next cycle they will have to write a new managment plan as the current one expires 2011-2012. once the new managment plan gets written things will even out i guess... all we can say for the moment is that the 40 mile zones 1 and 3 will happen SOME TIME in August... at least as i understand that meeting...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good to know, Vince.

Wow Brian know how to kill someones post.. You should have deleted the whole post... May you never draw a Big game tag in Alasaka ever again that is my jinx on you!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Wow Brian know how to kill someones post.. You should have deleted the whole post... May you never draw a Big game tag in Alasaka ever again that is my jinx on you!
    Alright, so I know who to blame if I don't get a tag on Friday!

Nothing personal on the edit, just trying to keep things within the family-friendly bounds of our forum expectations.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow 323 kinda rough there bud...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    mmmmm.. NOT exactly Brian.

the Board gave the Dept F&G administrative authority to make changes of dates for openers, access restrictions, method of take etc.. based on WHERE the herd was located. the AUG 28th is a proposed date to allow dispersment of the herd prior to opeing of the season.. there is a good chance that the date could change on short notice, this hunt will have to be watched very carfully this year, for planning purposes, next cycle they will have to write a new managment plan as the current one expires 2011-2012. once the new managment plan gets written things will even out i guess... all we can say for the moment is that the 40 mile zones 1 and 3 will happen SOME TIME in August... at least as i understand that meeting...
    WHAT as an ALASKAN I'm entitled to know at least 2 weeks prior to this hunt is to start so I can plan! Who does the fish and game department think they are!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    WHAT as an ALASKAN I'm entitled to know at least 2 weeks prior to this hunt is to start so I can plan! Who does the fish and game department think they are!
    LOL and the important thing is.... you may not know until you drive all the way up there that certian areas are closed.....

meet on face book here

I have never heard a good word about the hunts at Chicken or the Steese. I HAVE heard of people almost getting shot, though. That type of hunt REALLY doesn't appeal to me--part of the Alaska experience is to be in the middle of nowhere by yourself. You will get closer to that with the Haul Road, but will still have some company unless you hike out the 5 miles. Very few people are crazy enough for that (I was) To me, the trip up there was one of the best parts (though I only had to go from Fairbanks).

If that is too far of a drive for you, I have another idea for you if you don't mind some hiking with heavy packs. I tried PM'ing you but it wouldn't let me. Maybe since you're a new member or haven't set up that feature yet. If you can get it running, send me a PM and I will tell you my idea.

Default I believe the BOG

passed the joint AC proposal that will change the opening date to Aug. 28. I don't think there will be an earlier opening unless the BOG made this change to the proposal.

Thumbs up Excellent Point!

c04Hooiser! If I could rep ya, I would...

Hunting in Alaska isn't just 'bout gettin' the game, but the experience behind the chase...seems that some have lost sight of that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast