Thread: 18 ft, run to Pogi?

Default 18 ft, run to Pogi?

Over the past 5 years I have fished cook inlet mostly from deep crk to anchor pt, started with a 16 ft zodi, now have an 18 ft klamath w 50 hp. Also fish the bluffs in k-bay and pony outside res bay. This summer I plan to make the run from the spit to 4th of july and pogi to fish for kings and hali. Just like cook inlet I watch the marine forecast real close, and make a run for it when I have to. I figure if I run to pogi and it gets real lumpy I can duck into seldovia. I have heard there are some tide rips in that area that can get interesting.

I don't think I'm pushing the envelope too bad running my 18 ft klamath from the spit to pogi. What do you guys think?

thanks

Default Be careful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Djklamath View Post
    Over the past 5 years I have fished cook inlet mostly from deep crk to anchor pt, started with a 16 ft zodi, now have an 18 ft klamath w 50 hp. Also fish the bluffs in k-bay and pony outside res bay. This summer I plan to make the run from the spit to 4th of july and pogi to fish for kings and hali. Just like cook inlet I watch the marine forecast real close, and make a run for it when I have to. I figure if I run to pogi and it gets real lumpy I can duck into seldovia. I have heard there are some tide rips in that area that can get interesting.

I don't think I'm pushing the envelope too bad running my 18 ft klamath from the spit to pogi. What do you guys think?

thanks
    I fish my charters and personally a few times a week out around Fourth of July/Pogi and it can get very interesting. I was out there just a couple of days ago and we were trolling in 6' waves. It was almost unfishable, but we stayed and ended up with two nice kings---19 lbs. and 12 lbs.

I would run out there from The Spit with an 18 ft. Klamath and a 50 horse if I had total confidence in my ability to read the seas and the weather indicators. I see boats like yours out there fairly often. If you stay within the Fourth of July area you're not far from Seldovia, as you say, so it's not difficult to get to safety if you need to. But you need to know your limitations and be willing to quit when you know you should. It's a long and potentially deadly trip back to Homer if you try it at the wrong time.

The biggest problem with that area is it can go from almost dead flat to 3 and 4 ft. wind waves in a VERY short period of time. So if you doubt your abilities at all I wouldn't do it.

And you are correct about the tide rips. That corner at Pogi on a big tide day can get extremely hazardous. I've come through there at the peak of the tide run and gone from almost dead flat seas just a few hundred yards around the corner on the Dangerous Cape side and run into 6 ft. tidal rip waves right on the corner. It can get pretty hazardous if you aren't careful. Steer very wide of the point when the tide's running hard.

It can definetly be done. Leave early, early in the morning and start watching your conditions around 11 or so. After noon the wind starts to pick up out of the head of the bay and you can come back crashing against 3' swells, which isn't a big deal in a bigger boat, but in your case not the optimum. Just be careful.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Talking Weather

I have been out there 2 times a summer for the last two summers in my 18' alumaweld with a 50hp. I am guessing my Alumaweld is 300-450 pounds heavier than your boat wich means you have me beat when it comes to getting on step and "running" from crappy weather. Just remeber it's Homer so leave the dock at 5am start fishing by 6-7am and start heading back around 1-2pm and beat the wind. The ripe tide can get very very very interestings. Last trip I was heading back into 4-5' rip tide waves. A very very weird feeling in a underpowerd boat. Every trip I have limited on Halibut! Never trlled for kings but I'm sure you'll catch some. Another Idea is to bring a tent and hit the beaches by seldovia and make it an over night trip. I usually camp around yukon island areas and make the run out to pogi two days in a row,
    Good luck, be safe , and Have fun.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default What they said!

Previous advice was all good!

I ran my 18 foot, 70hp Lowe v-hull out to Pogi and the first time out there I stayed too long. I showed up with a couple of charters around me and all of a sudden they were gone! Tide changed and I was in the middle of 4-5 foot ride tide lumps! Very exciting.

I ALWAYS felt exposed and tenuous in my ability to get to a safe place, even though it's only 4-6 miles from Seldovia.

I foolishly put my anchor down one time thinking I was going to halibut fish inside the point and almost couldn't get it back up. The anchoring line was thrumbing like a base fiddle!

Going early is good advice. That "day breeze" that comes up around noon will change conditions quickly...

People go out there all the time in Open Skiffs. If you watch your weather, you should be good. When the tide starts to rip stay out of there. I got caught in the Rip with an 18' Jetcraft powered with a 50 honda several years back, and I couldn't go forward in what appeared to be class 5 waters with standing wall. I had slowly move sideways keeping my bow into it. Scared the crap out of everyone on the boat. Don't recommend anchoring at Pogi unless you are willing to donate an anchor or prepared for quick release with a bouy for later recovery. If you get caught in bad weather; you can tuck in close to Pogi close to shore and the point on the Seldovia side. For some reason, it settles down there pretty good. Just past Pogi in the kelp beds there is a stream you can motor up and pull your skiff up stream to get out of weather also. One thing you may really wanna watch is the ammount of traffic at pogi and the large boats, their wake can ruin your day real quick. It happens almost once a year. I had a friend 3 years ago get broadsided by an ATEC Landing Craft there at Pogi while he was trolling in a Bayliner minding his own bussiness. Keep on your toes, watch your weather, keep your bow into incomming wakes, and stay alert and you should be just fine. Good luck fishing!!!!

Default Anchors:

What they are saying is absolutely true. When the the tide starts to flow in around that point, you better pull up or have an anchor winch because it flows like a river. Twice I have very nearly had to cut my line but was able to power it off the bottom. China Poot is like that too. NOT FUN. Watch the tide! Having said that, you can usually get your limit before the tide turns too much.

hell I heard of a guy running an 18 foot skiff in to homer from the back side of afognak to buy beer or something silly like that... So it happens. Watch the weather, stay safe
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.