View Poll Results: Are you shooting a .300 Weatherby?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it could be the BEST all around Alaska cartridge.

27 45.76%
  • No, but only because it's too expensive to shoot.

4 6.78%
  • No, but I knew a guy once...

14 23.73%
  • .300 What?

4 6.78%
  • Other, please explain.

10 16.95%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The .300 Weatherby?

Default The .300 Weatherby?

Just a quick informal poll, how many people are still shooting the .300 Weatherby in Alaska these days?

Me. Still my favorite.

Talking This guy

Doing some Reloading today

I don't have a .300Wea. but I'd shoot one and feel good about it.

Ammo is spendy but so is .300WSM ammo and I still manage to get it done. Heck- all ammo is spendy these days.

It was a real toss up when I last purchased between my Nosler 48 in .300WSM and a MkV Ultralight in .300 Wea. Somedays I wonder if I made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I don't have a .300Wea. but I'd shoot one and feel good about it.

Ammo is spendy but so is .300WSM ammo and I still manage to get it done. Heck- all ammo is spendy these days.

It was a real toss up when I last purchased between my Nosler 48 in .300WSM and a MkV Ultralight in .300 Wea. Somedays I wonder if I made the right choice.
    With the exception of one, the .300 Win Mag. Weatherby ammo cost more, heck, the brass costs more. The Weatherby is a fine round though. Here lies the rub, during the ammo crunch, I actually saw more Weatherby ammo on the shelf than a lot of others. It was expensive, but it was available!

Default Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    With the exception of one, the .300 Win Mag. Weatherby ammo cost more, heck, the brass costs more. The Weatherby is a fine round though. Here lies the rub, during the ammo crunch, I actually saw more Weatherby ammo on the shelf than a lot of others. It was expensive, but it was available!
    You mean Ultra Mag?

And, GOOD point! And if a person reloads it...that can cut that expense down a lot.
    ALWAYS good selection/variey of .300 bullets around and available for use, correct?

I have a .300 Weatherby, bought it a few years ago, price was right. It is a Winchester Mdl 70 Classic Stainless. Once day gotta buy some ammo, mount a scope and take it out hunting. Used to read about the 300 Weatherby years ago, haven't heard or read much lately.

Cool avatar, Nukalpiaq. Great picture. Yup, get that Weatherby up and running...I think you'll like it (except when you buy ammo!).

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

What can it do that a good ole 30-06 can't do?

Default with the same projectile...

about 400+fps more Volocity!
    1000+ftlb more Energy!

Default I got a 30-378 Weatherby

It's still a .30 cal weatherby, so can I join the club?
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    about 400+fps more Volocity!
    1000+ftlb more Energy!

That'd be good if energy really made a difference, but it doesn't.

Love the ballistics but I can't shoot them all.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default would Momentum be a better word?

Energy sure DOES, as it reflects the difference in weight and volocity parameters of the projectiles.
    A 30-06 has roughly the same (relative) volocity as a .50bmg, but that 17,000ftlbs of energy SURE DOES make a difference in effect.

A 300 weatherby and a 30-06 can have the same weight projectile at much different volocity...and thus reflect similar differences in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    That'd be good if energy really made a difference, but it doesn't.
    Tell that to the front of a slow moving freight train...or a fast moving ice pick. Or better yet...a fast moving freight train.

AZG's theory on ballistics/stopping power:

.223 = fast moving small like an ice pick (55grain)
    .243 = faster (heavier) moving ice pick (100grain)
    .45acp = relatively slow moving freight train (say 200grain)
    .30-06 = faster moving freight train (say also 200grain)
    .300wby = MUCH faster moving freight train (say also 200grain, but much faster)
    .50bmg = what 600grains worth of yikes, at "relatively" similar volocity to 30-06, (but MUCH higher energy!)
    YOU make the call. I'll take bigger (diameter AND weight) AND faster given the choice.
    With the same caliber and weight of bullet, then I'll take faster please. (by 400fps = 1000ftlb ENERGY!)

Huh? Energy sure DOES, as it reflects the difference in weight and volocity of the projectiles.
    A 30-06 has roughly the same (relative) volocity as a .50bmg, but that 17,000ftlbs of energy SURE DOES make a difference in effect.

A 300 weatherby and a 30-06 can have the same weight projectile at much different volocity...and thus reflect similar differences in effect.

Tell that to the front of a slow moving freight train...or a fast moving ice pick. Or better yet...a fast moving freight train.

AZG's theory on ballistics/stopping power:

.223 = fast moving small like an ice pick (55grain)
    .243 = faster (heavier) moving ice pick (100grain)
    .45acp = relatively slow moving freight train (say 200grain)
    .300wby = fast moving freight train (say also 200grain, but much faster)
    .50bmg = what 600grains worth of yikes, at "relatively" similar volocity to 30-06, (but MUCH higher energy!)
    YOU make the call. I'll take bigger (diameter AND weight) AND faster given the choice.
    With the same caliber and weight of bullet, then I'll take faster please. (by 400fps = 1000ftlb ENERGY!)

And a Remington, Federal or Winchester 45-70 405 grain factory load is putting out less Energy than a 243 load with a 100 grain bullet, but which would you rather have with you when facing a Brown Bear?

My signature on another forum has the following phrase in it. "How would you rather die, 10,000 FPE in the Butt or a sharp knife in the Heart"

Energy is something that the manufactureres publish to razzle and dazzle you with.

Now I may (and I only said MAY) go with a .338 Lupua over the .300Weatherby...as long as I didn't have to buy the ammo for THAT too! And I'd settle for a 375H&H.

See, there is a certain "sentimental" value to the .300 Weatherby that's hard to replace with something else. Call it a "proven" cartridge in MY book.

Default My next I think

Used to have one, lost it in a fire many yrs ago and have always missed it and am sure thinking of replacing with another especially as a reloader now days it makes even more sense.

Sure loved that Weatherby .300 Magnum for all game in Alaska, or more like "Sure Respected" it as I can't forget that wallop either.

I'm pretty sure it'll be my next new rifle, as the ballistics numbers still sell it in my mind
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    And a Remington, Federal or Winchester 45-70 405 grain factory load is putting out less Energy than a 243 load with a 100 grain bullet, but which would you rather have with you when facing a Brown Bear?
    No, that's a good point. And continuing with MY point, I'm saying that I'll take a 460Weatherby (say the same 405grain) over your 45-70 because of the HIGHER ENERGY (same bullet, much higher volocity) just like the difference with the -06 and the .300wby.

It's NOT all about volocity, or weight, or frontal area(caliber)...it a combination of ALL. I'll sure take a .300wby over a 45-70!

So, all things being equal...I'll take MORE/BIGGER/FASTER. (again, maybe momentum and frontal area discribe it better, ie: freight train-vs-ice pick). Next step for Brown Bear....50bmg EXPLODING bullets.

Default 50BMG exploding bullets and Chemical Warfare! (.300 Weatherby for everything else!)

When I don't have my Barrett82, I use something ELSE for Brown Bear anyway...(new "conceptual" project, I've been working hard on it):

Bottle 4 Liters "sticky" GEL spray under EXTREME pressure (say 10,000PSI), effective maybe to 150yards! (wind not an issue, as it creates it's OWN).

You mean Ultra Mag?

And, GOOD point! And if a person reloads it...that can cut that expense down a lot.
    ALWAYS good selection/variey of .300 bullets around and available for use, correct?
    Naw, I was talking about the .300 Win Mag. It's only a miniscule amount slower and I'm STILL buying Federal ammo for it for less than $18 a box. I shoot it out, reuse the brass. All the benefits of a fast .30, none of the drawbacks. I just can't see guaranteeing expensive shooting without some magical amazing benefit. No one can ever knock a .300 Weatherby, the physics speak for itself. If I were to buy a Weatherby for an improvement over the old standby and super available/affordable .300 Win Mag, and have to count on reloading it myself, I'd get the .30-378. One look at any ammo shelf across Alaska will tell you the fact on ammo availability, brass availability.
    Last edited by Sir; 04-04-2010 at 15:29. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast