Thread: What is the easiest fish for kids to catch?

Default What is the easiest fish for kids to catch?

Either from the shore or perhaps renting a boat in one of the lakes.

My kids are from 11 to 16

Where at, roughly?

At those ages they shouldn't have any problems with any specie of salmon. My boys are 10 & 12. They have been catching kings for several years. The last 2 years we have been fishing in the saltwater and they have been successful catching rockfish, salmon, skates and halibut. Setting up the drag ect. is required so they don't get yanked overboard. As for the easiest, when the pinks are in there is usually no problems hooking up lots of fish. I really enjoy taking them out and letting them do their thing.

hands down... pinks.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Stocked rainbows are super easy give em a casting bubble and an elk hair caddis and let em have at it. Pinks are stupid easy too.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default pinks

What fishnphysician say----pinks, on the even years!

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Pinks are easy to catch in streams but if you are planning to hit some local lakes I would look for a lake that is stocked with land locked salmon or rainbows. A cocktail shrimp under a bobber cant go wrong.

If you are close to some pike ridden lakes I would check those out too. Pike are incredibly aggressive and easy to catch.

Default seeing pink

Most smiles per pound? Pinks!

Thumbs up Pinks

If the timing is right, go to Valdez when the pinks are in the bay. We were down there this last summer and had them jumping into the boat! A medium weight rod and a Pixie is all you need. You could look out across the water and see 8-10 fish in the air at any one time they were so thick! The kids had a ball (girls - ages 9, 6, & 4).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Pinks & And More Pinks

Man Doc I thought that my little girl caught the biggest humpy known to man. But now I am not sure. Say i work with your brother and would love to fish you guys this summer on a monday.
    Last edited by fishook; 07-24-2007 at 12:06.

Nice pic of your girl!

Yup, the Kenai grows some mighty big humpies. Although she doesn't hold the current world record, the river consistently produces the biggest ones I've encountered ANYWHERE.

My second daughter landed a 12 pounder back in 2002.

I ate a state record humpy back in 1998 that I caught behind Eagle Rock with a K-16 while fishing for kings. It weighed 13 pounds bled and dead for several hours. The immediate reason the fish got the "wood shampoo" was because it ripped a hole in my brand new breathable waders at the time.

Tide fresh sea-liced pinks hours out of the water make great table fare. They're the most overlooked food fish on the Kenai.

PM me with contact info and I'll take you up on that DB Monday offer. Who knows... before long it might be more than Mondays.
    The KeenEye MD

post deleted
    Last edited by fishNphysician; 01-13-2007 at 20:59. Reason: duplicate post, sorry
    The KeenEye MD