Thread: newbie bound for POW

Default newbie bound for POW

howdy (southern for hello),
    I'm from south alabama heading to your beautiful state in late may-early june. i currently do not fly fish but can't pass up the opportunity to try during my visit. I will be doing volunteer construction work on the island and will have opportunity to fish after work.
    please give me some advice..
    i hear skeeters are aggressive?
    can i fish from the bank or will i need to invest in waders?
    reccommend some flies or offer up some for purchase/swap?
    line and other gear?

I will be in Coffman Cove

I love to fish. check out my local fishing club. i will gladly return any favors when you visit my area!

http://www.mbkfa.com/

Jorge

Howdy, im from southern alabama as well, what area are you from? im grew up around mobile. Anyways if you have never flyfished before, i reccomend bringing your bass rod and buy a lot of Vibrax spinners (order online or buy them when you come up here). it will be easy to adapt too, but if you insist on fly-fishing, start now in bama, cause its not as easy to learn and there is pleanty of good fishing up here and you dont want to waste your time learning IMO. also you will more than likely need waiters or hip-boots.

Yep-from mobile. Lived here 39 of my 44 years. - plan on trying here for the next 2 months before hedn to AK. Anymore tips? Wat part of AK are u in?

Hip waders or chest work fine. I think I'm going to go with wading pants when it comes time replace the POS Cabelas waders I currently run. Eagle Cr/Luck Lake up that direction will treat you just fine. Bring some bug dope.. ya never know.