Thread: 1st time boat buyer,looking for tips

Default 1st time boat buyer,looking for tips

I'm looking for some advise on buying my 1st boat. Looking online, I've narrowed it down to the Hewescraft Pro V 200 or the Duckworth Pacific Navigator 195. I looked around Anchorage and haven't been able to find right boat or price and ordering what I want will take til Christmas to get here. I found there's better prices and selection in Washington and Oregon, but concerned about added expenses to get it here. If you've already walked this road, let me know path to take.

Grizzly Man. I have not walked that road yet but I will be soon. I have shipped several vehicles up here from outside and it runs around 1500 to put it on a barge. I can say about the boat selection you are looking at, I would go with the Hewescraft. I have a older Hewescraft and I am extremely pleased with how much of a beating it can take, along with the service at Hewescraft is second to none. I am looking at the Pro V as well and it is an exceptional boat for up here. You should have no problem with any of the common waters that are fished when ocean fishing.

I would prefer to buy locally, but dealers here already have their quota and don't have what I want in stock. I looked for some used boats, but there really isn't that much difference in price from buying new. What's the stories about shipping companies to use/ or avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    I would prefer to buy locally, but dealers here already have their quota and don't have what I want in stock. I looked for some used boats, but there really isn't that much difference in price from buying new. What's the stories about shipping companies to use/ or avoid?
    check this thread for shipping info http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=75355
    Grizzly Man--I commend you on your desire to purchase locally, however....
    The economy is holding its own here and dealers aren't stuck sitting on huge inventories. Thats not the case down south, I was in Bellingham Wa. for instance and dealers had Sea sports as well as many others stacked like cord wood! The salesman were pretty lonely I noticed....anyway, something to chew on...Happy Easter

I just got a quote to bring up a boat from washington..

the dimensions I gave was 27'long, 8.25' wide, 3000#

the quote was almost $2750 plus a 22.5% fuel surcharge...the total was $3344.00

I too am looking for another method to get the boat here.
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default The AK Hwy trip...

is the best roadtrip left in the country(ies = Canada too!). I have towed two boats up there. I bought my Hewes in central WA and if you take the road up through Banff and Jasper National Parks, to Grand Cache, then on to Dawson Creek and the start of the AK Highway, it is a great road and an easy tow, no real grades. A few squirrely places on the AK hwy, but no problem if you take your time. Sometimes there is construction, and sometimes the road from Beaver CR. where you enter AK to TOK Jct. can be really frost heaved. S

So, I got a Hewes AK 260 with twin Hondas, saved about 20K on buying last years model but brand new at a Pasco WA dealer, saved the shipping cost, got a great trip out of it. Worth thinking about if you have the time. I duck-taped foam on the front windshield of the boat, but really, the AK Hwy is a great road and the fabled vehicle damage, especially windshields, is greatly exaggerated and comes from the 70's when a lot of people drove up there and the road was still largely gravel. It's all paved now, unless you decide to take a detour through Dawson City, Yukon (which is worth it!) then the "Top of the World Hwy" is a long stretch of unpaved road, but the two times I've done it it was graded very smooth...not a road to be in a big hurry on though! Much of the AK hwy is 65 mph, but there are a few stretches more like 40 mph, including the frost heaves if they are there.

Nice to buy locally, but you really won't have much dealer servicing needed on the boat, just the motors, and probably none of that for awhile if you do your own oil and lower unit changes, and winterizing and do it right!

Have you checked with Carlisle trucking....they ship items on Totem shipping barges from washington. Had a friend ship up a Bayliner 2452 a few years back for $2000-. It was cheaper to go through Carlisle rather than approach Totem shipping themselves even though it rode up on Totems barge?! Go figure.
    I woould call around to a few trucking Co.s that haul up here and see how the price varies.
    (Linden, Carlisle, Minn to Alaska trucking, Totem barge, etc...)
    BK

Default Here's a link to where I bought my Hewes...

in WA state, they have a new 2009 Pro-V and 2 2010's, plus a bunch of other boats in stock:

http://www.nwmarineandsport.com/hewescraft.htm

Nope, I don't know anyone there except for buying from them, and I did that because I knew what I wanted and they had my dream boat in stock and on sale...

Shipping is about a 125.00 a foot.

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll be going outside Alaska for my purchase. I've got a little time as I am stuck in Afghanistan until around June, but I'll see you on the water when I get back!

Why not pick it up yourself? Drove down to Wa in my truck and hauled back my last two boats. Wife flew to Seattle and I picked her up at SeaTac and we made a mini adventure of it coming back.
    Put about 80 gallons of fuel in the bed of the truck and didnt need to buy any more till I hit Wa.
    Tennessee

If it'd been later in the season (like late april or may) I would have driven down and picked it up myself.

3 years ago I towed a 26 foot fiberglass Carver up the Alcan in May and it wasnt all that bad - except for the "nasty 400" the 200 miles before and after the Yukon/Alaska border. Then it was frost heave he L L

From all accounts the end of summer is the best time to tow up the Alcan - most of the construction for the year is done and most of the frost heaves have been smashed down.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"