Thread: Good fishing close to small airports

Default Good fishing close to small airports

Hello all,

I am planning on flying my Skyhawk to Ak this summer, and am interested in maybe landing at some out of the way airports that have a river, stream, or lake nearby where there is some good fishing (any kind). Camping streamside is a definite possibility as I will be bringing hiking equipment and a mountain bike. I often fly out of a 2000 ft grass strip now, so that will be about my minimum for airport size. I'm not sure what month I will be there, but I plan on staying awhile, at least a month. Is it too much to think that flying to a far away place like King Salmon or Bethel would be a good idea. I have about 1000 hrs flight time, and do not plan on pushing bad weather at all!
    Anybody have some favorite places that they are willing to share? I would think that if you can get to rural places that can only be reached by plane or boat, it won't be so crowded. Been looking forward to this for some time!

Regards,
    Bruce

Default Try the Tsiu River

A friend of mine use to fly his homemade plane from Anchorage to the Tsiu River and fish it for a day. He was always making me jealous with 20# Silvers. I've heard many stories of some very big Coho's in the Tsiu. Do some research on the net and you should find some good info. If you can land on the beach, there are some good streams on the west side of Cook Inlet (e.g. Silver Salmon creek). Another option is the Chuit in upper Cook Inlet. Good luck.

Default Seldovia

Take a look at Seldovia for kings right off the airstrip.
    BK

Illiamna, during the sockeye run....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Kodiak Fly-in

Runway 725 at the Kodiak airport will allow you to literally park and fish the Buskin River that runs right beside it...
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Igiugig air field is 3000 feet, has acess to the Kvichak River. June is rainbows after the 8th, July is sockeye month, August, first half is silvers later is rainbows till freeze up. There is camping available either at a designated spot or under your wing. The bike will do you good if it has good wide tires.

If you have access to email and plan to get to Igiugig email me when you plan to be there and if I have the time I can take you out for a bit for fun.

George

2000 feet is a small airstrip?? hmmmm... be careful when you're reading about airstrips that you check the actual runway length. Port Alsworth is another good one, on Lake Clark.

My top two choices would be Illiamna for red salmon on the Newhalen River and Port Alsworth for grayling up by Tanalian Falls. Those are two of my favorite places to fly to for fishing.

Port Alsworth:

Illiamna:

Default Illiamna

is always a good choice. Nice photos Brian!

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the responses. I've been reading up on the places mentioned, and they all sound great. The Tanalain falls location looks fantastic. I read up on it and it is a 2.5 mi hike from the airport. Just the kind of place I was looking for. Looking forward to fighting those reds on the Newhalen, kings at Seldovia, and all the other places mentioned. If the weather is good, I hope to make the flight over to Kodiak. If not I'll take the ferry.

Regards,
    Bruce

Brian or anyone,

Those Reds at Iliamna look fantastic! Care to share what lure was used to catchum? Russian flies? I have read of many techniques for fishing Reds. Some people say they don't bite, some say they do. From the looks of the picture, I'm sure you know.

Regards,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by cessna308 View Post
    Brian or anyone,

Those Reds at Iliamna look fantastic! Care to share what lure was used to catchum? Russian flies? I have read of many techniques for fishing Reds. Some people say they don't bite, some say they do. From the looks of the picture, I'm sure you know.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Just cheap Russian River flies (coho fly). Nothing too special about it other than figuring how much weight to use. I prefer #2 or #3 splitshot, as I can easily add or remove weight as needed. The current is pretty fast on that river and it is pretty deep, so finding the sweet spot can be just a little bit tricky. If you hit it at the right time, though, there are so many fish that you'll get it dialed in quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My top two choices would be Illiamna for red salmon on the Newhalen River and Port Alsworth for grayling up by Tanalian Falls. Those are two of my favorite places to fly to for fishing.

Port Alsworth:

Thats just torture brian
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Chuck
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm up on the slope and haven't even pulled a helicopter out of the hanger is 8 days, and Brian is showing beautiful summer days with lots o fish. This is what it looks like outside right now!

Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Chuck
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm up on the slope and haven't even pulled a helicopter out of the hanger is 8 days, and Brian is showing beautiful summer days with lots o fish. This is what it looks like outside right now!

Drew

It is not just the weather. Brian knows I am dying to go over there and chase grayling. grayling hold a soft spot in my wife and I's heart. We just love fishing for them and our first camping date was chasing them all over the denali highway.

Then throw in that bluebird day and well Priceless
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Goodness Gracious

Wow, Brian. Wow.

Hey Cessna - you have any spare room in your 308 for me? I wanna go!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.