Thread: My Glaciercraft Boat Build Project,, her name will be "FOCU$"

Default My Glaciercraft Boat Build Project,, her name will be "FOCU$"

Posting a few pics of our GC boat construction project. She's not complete yet, but hopefully she'll see water this summer & not from a water hose!

She's a 28' x 10' w/ 10.5 cabin; had bought Yamaha motors in March 2008 but it's been so long,,, not sure where they are any more

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a.../28x10hull.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...ftFuelTank.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/DSC00270.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/DSC00265.jpg

looks good
    Boatless

Default looking good

I remember when mine looked like that. Hope to see you on the water soon. Good name.

Default Just thinking.

Mitch, you may want to check the width of your bow rails at thair widest point. Mine are alot wider than my towing permit. I slid by last year but im cutting mine back before I get busted for being to wide.

Hi Glenn,
    What's the current width of your rails?

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    Mitch, you may want to check the width of your bow rails at thair widest point. Mine are alot wider than my towing permit. I slid by last year but im cutting mine back before I get busted for being to wide.

Looks great, Mitch! Just a tip on your picture posting. When using photobucket make sure you choose the link that begins with [IMG] and ends with [/IMG]. This will bring your photos up in your post. It's a pain in the ass to click and view! How soon will she be done?

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Pete, thanks for the advice,, will do w/ future updates as she gets closer.

Completion will depend on what parts are actually ordered "in the mail" verses what's suppose to be ordered; I'm sure you know the story on that subject!! --might be hunting local black bear {pets} around the house this spring verses the PWS..

The riggers have been going gang busters on inside stuff for awhile now.

-upholstery colors have been ordered & surface material for the galley & wrap around dinnette is standing by for installation

Just need some good news on availability on the Yamaha XCA 4.2 motors now & life should get better for this project. Although I just received an update that the new mtrs most likely will NOT be available to North West dealerships til late July / early Aug {same information that ya posted several months ago} & we can't wait that long for pwr so will most likely bolt up a pair of F250's for this summer.

Any recommendations on pwr options from your experience?

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Looks great, Mitch! Just a tip on your picture posting. When using photobucket make sure you choose the link that begins with [IMG] and ends with [/IMG]. This will bring your photos up in your post. It's a pain in the ass to click and view! How soon will she be done?

Pete

I may know someone that will be selling a pair of new in the box 250's. You know him too. The suzuki 300's deserve a look, but I really like the projected efficiency of the new yamaha 300's. I am sure real life numbers will vary. I bet they will be pricey, too.

Another thing to consider is that the big yamahas require 89 octane fuel to make full horsepower while the suzukis do not. You cannot get the high test fuel in Whittier. I have been running an octane booster with the regular fuel and it makes a noticeable difference with power as well as economy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we are allowed to be 10' 6" now without a pilot car. Are you wider than that? I bet you could pull them in with a ratchet strap for travel.

Have received a couple different quotes on the new Yamaha 300's, the lowest price for a set {just motors came in at 41K & highest was 43k} then there are throttles {2 sets for our boat} & a pile of wire harnessess, required DNA sample, the list goes on & on!

I'm not a fan of the Suzuki instrumentation, kind of old school gauge systems,, in my opinion.

Hopefully I'll hear something back on those Yamaha 250's soon, I've been asking about them.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I may know someone that will be selling a pair of new in the box 250's. You know him too. The suzuki 300's deserve a look, but I really like the projected efficiency of the new yamaha 300's. I am sure real life numbers will vary. I bet they will be pricey, too.

Another thing to consider is that the big yamahas require 89 octane fuel to make full horsepower while the suzukis do not. You cannot get the high test fuel in Whittier. I have been running an octane booster with the regular fuel and it makes a noticeable difference with power as well as economy.

Default Rail width

If they can be 10' 6" I may be ok. But I think the permit for over 10' cost more. Ill do some more checking before I start cutting them up.
    We should have a GC get together when Mitch gets FOCU$ in the water. That would make a good picture.

If they can be 10' 6" I may be ok. But I think the permit for over 10' cost more. Ill do some more checking before I start cutting them up.
    We should have a GC get together when Mitch gets FOCU$ in the water. That would make a good picture.

There is no longer any change at 10' for wide lond. Last year they did an administrative update of the oversize and overwight permit regulations, and one thing that they changed is to move the break from 10 to 10'6".

The one place that there is still an issue is going through the tunnel. The cost to go through changes at 10'. My assumption is that this will change at some point so that it matches with the AKDOT rules, but it has not happened yet.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Count us in; name the place & time & we'll be there, except for Aug,, that's sheep hunting time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kidless View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Suzuki instrumentation, kind of old school gauge systems,, in my opinion.
    You can still go with old school Suzuki gauges. You don't have to run the digital Lowrance (Suzuki branded) gauges, although I haven't seen a problem with them.

I would stick with the DF250's though, over the 300's. I'm not a fan of the electronic controls & shifting on the 300's. I have seen problems with that.

I haven't seen any problems with that on our 300's, but it's nice to get a heads up on issues.
    Boatless