Thread: Only unbaited, single-hook, artificial lures or flies may • be used year-round.

Default Only unbaited, single-hook, artificial lures or flies may • be used year-round.

I am curious about plastic baits (i.e. pink worms, ect) and if they are considered bait.

This regulation inquiry applies to the Situk R and AK regulations concerning "Only unbaited, single-hook, artificial lures or flies may • be used year-round."

"artificial lure means a lure that is manmade, free of bait as defined below, and is used to attract fish for the purpose of taking them, and includes artificial flies."

"bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals."

Arrow

I'm thinking if it was an unscented pink worm, you'll be fine. If it was gulp or some other scent impregnated plastic bait... well, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    I am curious about plastic baits (i.e. pink worms, ect) and if they are considered bait.

This regulation inquiry applies to the Situk R and AK regulations concerning "Only unbaited, single-hook, artificial lures or flies may • be used year-round."

"artificial lure means a lure that is manmade, free of bait as defined below, and is used to attract fish for the purpose of taking them, and includes artificial flies."

"bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals."

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm thinking if it was an unscented pink worm, you'll be fine. If it was gulp or some other scent impregnated plastic bait... well, I'm not sure.
    That is exactly what I am tying to find out.. Unscented plastics are still scented..

That is exactly what I am tying to find out.. Unscented plastics are still scented..

Ty, Danny Joe Humphrey has a hot pink high floater worm that is unscented. The 4” works well for the situk as it’s usually a fairly clear sallower river so to speak, any worm longer seams to spook the steelhead. What works better is a jerry Garcia or a Dennis Rodman fly or jig under a 1” float. Bait is strictly a no no and that means scent. When you going hawg hunting?.

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Ty, Danny Joe Humphrey has a hot pink high floater worm that is unscented. The 4” works well for the situk as it’s usually a fairly clear sallower river so to speak, any worm longer seams to spook the steelhead. What works better is a jerry Garcia or a Dennis Rodman fly or jig under a 1” float. Bait is strictly a no no and that means scent. When you going hawg hunting?.
    Guiding for Yakutat Lodge this spring, be there April 14th!

plastic worms are not bait if they smell like plastic, as plastic smell is not used to attract fish. Things like berkeley gulp and mister twister exude are bait, as they have scent specifically designed to attract fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Guiding for Yakutat Lodge this spring, be there April 14th!
    So the lodge sports those Pavati drift boats with the side doors. Not quit the land of willie. Should be good fishing with the early spring weather. Bob the owner of the local fly shop has a good blog (situk river fly shop.)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    plastic worms are not bait if they smell like plastic, as plastic smell is not used to attract fish. Things like berkeley gulp and mister twister exude are bait, as they have scent specifically designed to attract fish.
    Let me understand this then.. Just for clarity... Many things attract fish that ARE NOT IN FACT BAIT.. If my understanding is correct they are not considered bait by AK definitions.

That being said... Plastics may attract fish, they have scent and smell like plastic... Call me crazy but the way I understand this regulation any form of scent would be illigal... I really can't see a gray area for plastic worms... If the authorities believe they are legal then great...

so you can't use trebile hooks? is that just for stealheads?

Ty, scent or bait is pretty easily defined. A unscented pink worm is legal. No different than a unscented qwikfish, spin n glo, spinner, spoon, or whatever. Floats that are attractors like corkies or spin n glos are made out of plastic but they are legal if they are not scented. Same with the worm. Look at the package when buying your package of worms and you will be legal if it is not made from some type of scent.
    When I am using a worm in a no scent area I bring the package that the worms came in so that I have this if checked by enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Ty, scent or bait is pretty easily defined. A unscented pink worm is legal. No different than a unscented qwikfish, spin n glo, spinner, spoon, or whatever. Floats that are attractors like corkies or spin n glos are made out of plastic but they are legal if they are not scented. Same with the worm. Look at the package when buying your package of worms and you will be legal if it is not made from some type of scent.
    When I am using a worm in a no scent area I bring the package that the worms came in so that I have this if checked by enforcement.
    Thanks for the clearification iceblue.. I know in Oregon all plastics are considered baits.. Just like them ol' bass fisherman call them "plastic baits."

Default And god forbid

don't spray your hooks with WD-40 to keep them from rusting.

No problem Ty.

Ol bass fishermen also call a diving plug like a wiggle wart a crankbait.

Good luck down in Yakutat.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    so you can't use trebile hooks? is that just for stealheads?
    you can't on the situk for anything, and there's really no reason to even if you aren't C&R fishing... Unless you are snagging (where legal)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    you can't on the situk for anything, and there's really no reason to even if you aren't C&R fishing... Unless you are snagging (where legal)
    do you think there is an advantage to single hooks? i always C&R trout, but i also always use a trebile hook, just seems to be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    do you think there is an advantage to single hooks? i always C&R trout, but i also always use a trebile hook, just seems to be the best option.
    The advantage of a single hook is that it does less damage than a treble hook to a fish when doing C&R. A treble hook has 3X as many hooks thus potentially 3X as much damage. Plus they are illegal in a lot of rivers and streams. If you are keeping the fish and it is legal to use them, then it might be better to use treble.

Helps to pinch the barb in C&R as well.