Thread: Put my stuff out today!!

Default Put my stuff out today!!

I went today and put out my barrel and stand. I know its early but....
    I used a sled I bought and slightly modified and it worked great. Here are some pictures the rig and of me modeling my spring camo. I hunted for camo snowshoes all over town but couldn't find a single pair. You guys must have bought them all out and I hope I dont scare all the bears off with these red ones!!LOL

Congratulations

Good luck . I always wait for another month and a half so you are way ahead .

Default Congrads...

I'll be right behind ya' in say about another 2 weeks. Its always fun pulling in all the materials in rotten snow, but cabin fever is about over for all of us. Good luck this year.

I thought you could not legally take your drum in until 15 April.

You can setup your site, but bait may not be present until April 15 (in my units anyway).

That is my understanding too. It may be a while before mine gets baited, there was about 8 foot of snow out there. I have not been off road on snowshoes in a quite a few years and was surprised how big a difference a few hours makes. When we went up the hill to take the stand it was froze pretty hard, we didn't even break through the surface on some spots. Three hours later on the way back down we were sinking up to half a foot or more. I don't think we could have made it in if we hadn't started early. The snowon the sides that drains on the highway in that area is rotten all the way down, some places you can hear water running under it.

Default Hmmmm?????

I cant believe you headed out already. Where I hunt near Hope, it dosent make any sense to head out before the 1st week in May.

It looks like you have a double seat treestand....are you taking your wife w/ you? I once saw a comedy show that showed two "buddies" sitting in the same treestand...I am sure this is not the case w/ you. But I do see your name is spoon...Hmmmmm?!?!?!?! lol

Good luck w/ your hunt. Hope you get a big one. Greenbrier

That is very interesting. Do you wait till the first week so you can wear bluejeans? I know EXACTLY what area you are talking about down there. I went ahead and put my barrel on top of one I found out there near where we were before. There is a old rickety stand already there but I put mine in front of it. I figure with two barrels stacked like that I'll get twice as many bears!

Your going to have fun hauling in your bait if you are as eager as you are now and snow shoes won't help,lol. Good for you getting out and excited but try not to waste to much gas or use up your kitchen passes to early. Took me a few years to learn the schedual. This will be my 19th year at my location in Unit 13 and I NEVER go in before the 18th of May as there is still too much snow for me to deal with even as late as the 12th. Usually the first hits are light and around the 26th with full on action from June 2nd on. Good luck!!

Default Clean

If the barrel is clean it is OK to put out. But if used and can be picked up by the ofractory senses of the bear, 15th is the date.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Note: There are hidden cabins and homes at Mile 5.1 through Mile 8.7 on the Hope Road, Many do "NOT" have driveways or mailboxes.......

Can you see them from Google Earth? I was in that area this weekend trying to find a spot and WOW there was a lot of snow.

[QUOTE=gristec;705954]Can you see them from Google Earth? QUOTE]

"NO" and some cabins you can't see even if you know that they are there. There is even a large cabin on the other side of Six-Mile Creek. Also note: That those access roads off of the Hope Road are for Chugach Electric employees on official Chugach Electric maintenance business only, they are NOT for public access.

Thumbs up

Good info to know, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Your going to have fun hauling in your bait if you are as eager as you are now and snow shoes won't help,lol. Good for you getting out and excited but try not to waste to much gas or use up your kitchen passes to early. Took me a few years to learn the schedual. This will be my 19th year at my location in Unit 13 and I NEVER go in before the 18th of May as there is still too much snow for me to deal with even as late as the 12th. Usually the first hits are light and around the 26th with full on action from June 2nd on. Good luck!!

Yeah, Greenbrier has been telling me pretty much exactly that for weeks and I know he's right, but I guess I had a little cabin fever going on combined with the fact that my old buddy just got back in from the desert and we haven't done anything together for about 15 years due to various circumstances. Which is kind of where his whole gay insinuation is coming from. If he continues I will be forced to retaliate with the "Silk Underwear Story"!
    We'll probly get bait out sometime during the third/fourth week of may is my guess, which I am glad to see goes along with what you are telling me. My barrel was brand new so I had no issues with putting it out.
    Thanks for your advice and good luck to you as well.

And I just want to say going a mile and a half in snow pulling a 200lb sled with a elevation gain of something like 700 feet will pretty much cure cabin fever for you.

[QUOTE=AGL4now;705984]
    Quote Originally Posted by gristec View Post
    Can you see them from Google Earth? QUOTE]

"NO" and some cabins you can't see even if you know that they are there. There is even a large cabin on the other side of Six-Mile Creek. Also note: That those access roads off of the Hope Road are for Chugach Electric employees on official Chugach Electric maintenance business only, they are NOT for public access.
    Those places are actually great for baiting around, as no one knows they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Those places are actually great for baiting around, as no one knows they are there.

If they are blind and could not see, yes they would not know the road was there. Remember locals jog and hike those access roads, which is legal. Also good luck with the litigation if a CEA Lineman gets mauled.