Thread: Anyone hunt with a Magnum Research BFR

Default Anyone hunt with a Magnum Research BFR

I was wondering if anyone hunts with a Magnum Research BFR. I was looking at a 45/70 with a 10 inch barrel. I guess I have always liked that caliber because my dad used to hunt with it. Does anyone have any oppinions on the BFR? I would probably use it for caribou, deer, moose and black bears.

Lightbulb bfr

I hope someone with that caliber BFR, who has chronographed the weapon, answers your post so we all can learn what it is capable of .I do not own one but was seriously considering a BFR in 450 marlin until I talked to a gunsmith about installing a quick discharge muzzlebrake like the one on my ar-50. He claimed that installing that would decrease the accurracy. I argued that my ar shot really well, but I had never fired the rifle without the brake so I could not confirm or deny his statement. But what stopped me from buying the pistol was when he said that it would have no more velosity than a 454 casull. I thought he was full of that stinky stuff until I checked reloading manuals and found that to be true, because the 450 and the 45-70 cartridges are loaded with the slower burning powders for rifles and not 7.5 inch that I wanting to use. Since I manufactor my own ammo, I felt I could use faster burning powder and improve to something simular to the 460 s and w, but with the little extra time I have I thought I could waste it some other way. I hope this in some way helps you

Lightbulb BFR

I hope someone with that caliber BFR, who has chronographed the weapon, answers your post so we all can learn what it is capable of .I do not own one but was seriously considering a BFR in 450 marlin until I talked to a gunsmith about installing a quick discharge muzzlebrake like the one on my ar-50. He claimed that installing that would decrease the accurracy. I argued that my ar shot really well, but I had never fired the rifle without the brake so I could not confirm or deny his statement. But what stopped me from buying the pistol was when he said that it would have no more velosity than a 454 casull. I thought he was full of that stinky stuff until I checked reloading manuals and found that to be true, because the 450 and the 45-70 cartridges are loaded with the slower burning powders for rifles and not 7.5 inch that I wanting to use. Since I manufactor my own ammo, I felt I could use faster burning powder and improve to something simular to the 460 s and w, but with the little extra time I have I thought I could waste it some other way. I hope this in some way helps you

Default .45-70 Bfr

I don't own one, but did see one shot a while back. I'm not sure what took the worse punch, the shooter or the target.. That's one HUGE revolver...........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default 475 Linebaugh

I "plink" with a 475 Linebaugh BFR I just bought a few months ago, but have not had the chance to use it in the field on anything more ferocious than rocks. Once I get alot more tests in on different reloading components and powders i will let you know. Im still working on different loads before I use it for hunting.
    So far its excellent for throwing heavy bullets without the concussion of a 454 casull.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default I have an earlier model

I have the 8 inch Sidewinder 5 shot revolver in 45/70. It is the same as the MR BFR. The rights to the Sidewinder were sold to MR and they are producing it as the the BFR. I shoot 405 gr bullets due to clearences that is the largest that I can use. I also have a spare cylinder so that I can shoot 45lc & 410 plus I can screw in a choke when using the 410 configuration. MR doesn't offer that I don't think. There are alot of the earlier models around Alaska as the the bother of the guy who originally manufactured them lives here and was a dealer. It was originally developed for use in Alaska as a protection weapon at the request of alot of my buddy's friends with the extra cylinder allowing you to small game hunt.

The revolver is gentle to shoot when compared to a 454 or 44 and accurate. People are very surprised at how handlable the recoil is. It does not take your hand off. In fact the recoil is just perfect as it rotates back allowing the shooter to cock and as it falls you can fire once lined up. I can fire it almost as fast as I can pll the trigger! That is fast for a SA.

I don't reload and haven't shot it through my chrono so can not coment there.

Makes a fine companion to my 45/70 guide gun and is fun to shoot.

Default I have an earlier model

double post!

Default Thanks for the info guys

Thanks for your input on the 45/70 revolver. I went down to the gun shop the other day, did a little trading and now have the BFR. I really like it. I bought a box of the 300 grain shells to do some target shooting, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good hunting load to shoot out of a handgun. I am going to get a set of dies, so I can do some hand loading, so any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Andy