Thread: bernard creek trail

Default bernard creek trail

wondering if anybody has ridden this trail and could help out with some info. on it. it is south of the edgerton highway(chitina) and east of the richardson down south of glenallen a ways. has anybody rode it all the way back to the end and how was it? i have been on it just a few miles in in early spring and ran into deep snow have'nt been back since.

Which end are you talking about? The trail forks and reforks resulting in three ends out there. The October '06 floods screwed the creek up. Cabin is gone and I have not been back to see if anyone has pioneered a route across to go to the other two legs. Technically the main trail goes all the way thru to Pump 12, although it is not a wheeler trail the whole way. One section in the valley heading out to 12 that is only good for hiking. Not a muddy trail. A couple water holes along the first half but nothing that has ever slowed me down.

Default not sure

i guess i must have meant the north end. there was a pretty good gravel road that had a tee intersection where the trail " started". from there i only got in a few miles as i recall. on google earth it shows the trail going back much further and sort of fades out somewhere east of pump 12. where would the south access be at? is that only foot trail. thanks for the info.

Default you can get accros the creek

When you get down to the creek, don't go the old way, you will drop off what is now a 20 foot cliff, you will see a trail heading left, where you can get safely down. When you get to the rocks, Head to your right about 75 yards, cross the creek in the section that is the shallowest You can then wind your way thru the debris, and get to the main trail, quite a few people have done it now so you might even be able to see a trail in the sand/rocks.

Default creek

i don't recall getting far enough to cross a creek. like i mentioned only got in a short ways and had deep snow. where does the trail come out near pump 12, anybody know? i would like to try the trail again on the north end this summer and get back farther. thanks for the info.

If I remember right the first Y is about 8 miles in when parking at the lodge. This is where BAR300 is talking about how to cross the creek. If you decide to stay high and go to the right you will head to the two towers on the way to 12. The left will go across the creek into the north fork and Y again when it reaches the top of the hill. The left of this Y will take you over to Dust creek. The south trailhead is across from Ernestine DOT and recommend hiking only. There is a local that lives at the trail head and has always volunteered his own time and money to keep that end brushed out and I would hate to see a bunch of wheelers on it. Plus there isn't really anywhere to go on that end. Maybe 2 miles, if that much.

Default thanks mod

for all the info.

Default Bernard Creek

I was wondering if there is still an old Homestead cabin over on Dust Creek?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Or it may be on Bernard Creek itself, not sure as it's been a very long time ago. This is what it looked like back in 1957 to the 1960's. Built by a relative of mine way back when...his middle name is Bernard.

Attachment 73503

If it's still standing, I would love to have a more recent picture or two of it, no matter what condition. Thanks!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Dust Creek Homestead Cabin...If anyone has any recent pics of this cabin, please let me know. I heard it was a destination for snowmachiners. I also heard that it may have been washed away in the flood.
    Thanks!

Attachment 73528Attachment 73529
    "Grin and Bear It"

The cabin was washed away in the huge rainstorms in 2006. The place looks completely different. If you hike down Bernard's creek below dust creek there are remains of the cabin for at least a mile. The outhouse still remains intact where the cabin used to be.

Thanks alaska pike...I was really hoping it would still be there, sad that it is gone. I am very interested in photos of this cabin if anyone has some.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Well...I guess a pic of the outhouse would do, if that's all that is left...
    "Grin and Bear It"

The cabin in question that I am interested in was located up on Dust Creek, way back in there, not on Bernard Creek.

For those that are not aware of the fact, this area is the Tonsina CUA and no motorized vehicles or pack animals are allowed for hunting. Legal bull is spike fork (or) over 50" or 4 brow tines. This last weekend a couple of guys shot an illegal moose, no harvest tag, using a motorized vehicle in a CUA area back there... a side by side wheeler & rifles, were seized...and the moose as well I would assume.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....controlleduse
    Tonsina CUA.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"