Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ATV Upgrades?

Default What ATV Upgrades?

Picked up a used 2009 Yammy Big Bear (my 1st ATV) and would like to hear your thoughts on upgrades. I'll be useing it for hunting/fishing so have little desire to make it go faster.

Already have-Winch and Moose hand/thumb warmers installed, also have the Kolpin Gun Boot.

Looking at-

Ricochette plates

Hand guards

Rack extensions

Possibly taller handle bars as I'm 6'2" and they seem a little short

Keeping as is is a strong possibility. Thoughts/insight appreciated.

Thanks

Good tires, if you dont already have them. I'll say taller handlebars too, I like to be able to ride standing up. Its handy during hunting season.

The big bear usually comes w/ mud lights but they are geared really low and can turn much larger ones than they come with. That said I would ride it on what you have and see if you get stuck going places you want to go. If you do then get bigger tires, if no then save the money. Other than tires you have the 2 most important mods w/ the winch and hand warmers! I occasionally drive a yammi kodiak and at 6'5" I can understand why you would like to raise the bars a bit. You should be able to just add a riser bracket from someone like ROX to bring it up a couple inches without having to rework all the cables etc. If you are going to be cruising trails (especially at night), or busting brush then a good set of hand guards is worth the money. I have never had them but every time I ride a buddies w/ them and something whacks them rather than my knuckles like on my wheeler I tell myself to bite tbe bullet and pick some up. So far I am still just riding w/ out and enjoying the all to common rap of an alder branch.

Thanks for the input guys.

Great idea on the handle bars LuJon and yes the tires are Mud Lites. I'm a little concerned about the stability of the atv if I go with bigger (taller) tires, especially with the narrow stance of the Big Bear. I've heard of people putting wheel spacers(?) on to increase the width. Any drawbacks to the spacers?

Depending on the quality of the spacers they can break but there are many people running them w/ no problems. I wouldn't buy wheel spacers of of ebay, but a good manufacturer should have a quality product. Aftermarket wheels are an option as well but of course at a significant increase in cost. My wifes Kodiak has much larger tires on it w/ aftermarket wheels. Honestly they are a bit too wide so it throws a good bit of mud. It doesn't have much problem getting through stuff though!

Wheel spacers are the cheapest way to get width. I would say you could go with 1 inch spacers on the rear. Putting spacers on the front can wear out your ball joints faster and will make it more difficult to steer. You get stability mainly from your rear anyway. Yes, your quad will throw a little more mud. Go with mud guards if it becomes a real issue. Don't get the lug nut style spacers...they break easily. Go with the solid plate style. Adding 1 inch in the rear will increase your overall width by two inches. Make sure that will not prevent you from going through any narrow areas you usually ride. I have a trail-head at my house with steel pipes on each side. I just about rub the pipes on both sides with my Rhino. Adding wheel spacers would prevent me from going down this trail. Just something to think about before you buy. Also, if you load your quad in your truck the width might be an issues.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

You guy's know your ATV's-great info!

Dang LuJon, those are some meats on that wheeler! How does it side-hill?

AKMuddy, Great points about front end durability and access concerning the overall width, there is a trail I'd like to check out that has a narrow entrance, I'll take measurements before bolting the plates on.

Thanks

Detroit gearless locker, can't go wrong.

The 09 Yamaha Big Bear comes with factory push button Diff-lock.

Anyone know about steering dampner(buffer)(?)??? I think it's some sort of bolt on steering assist, not sure exactly what it is and if it would help a rig like the Big Bear that operates at lower speeds?

Here is thread I started a while ago that got some good posts.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52452
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Thanks for the link Byrdhntr,

It is a good thread on atv accessories, read it a couple times before and again today . I'm giving strong consideration to the Rox handlebar extension, handguards and some protection underneath. I'm going to check out the steering upgrades not to sure it's worth it.

I'd go with some risers, and some bigger tires when your stocks wear out. Don't worry about stability, you won't have a problem. You already got the most important accessories (hand / thumb warmers, winch and gun boot). Plates and Rack Extensions... Probably not worth the money. The factory racks on the yammies are a little on the small side but with some straps and ingenuity should be able to handle a few good quarters . Congrats on your new ride btw!

I doubt you would benefit from the steering dampener. It is designed to reduce bump steer when running fast not assist in steering.

AegidiusAK, thanks! I think I'll end up getting the handlebar extension and probably not much else for the time being, and your right about the yammie racks-small dia. tube and the rack dimensions are a little on the small side too.

Thanks for the info on the steering dampner LuJon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    AegidiusAK, thanks! I think I'll end up getting the handlebar extension and probably not much else for the time being, and your right about the yammie racks-small dia. tube and the rack dimensions are a little on the small side too.

Thanks for the info on the steering dampner LuJon.
    Honestly you made a very sound decision with your choice in wheeler. They are darn near bullet proof and simply don't need a lot to make them really great all around AK rigs. You won't beat big bore machines up hills or win drag races but you will get where you are going, break less parts, and use less fuel.

LuJon, I'm hoping your right. I've been thinking about picking up an ATV for the past four or five years and had settled on the Yamaha Big Bear for the attributes you listed, I think the Big Bear will be solid reliable hunting atv.
    However, I failed to research (reason for this thread) the after market accessories, but after reading through this and other forums and looking at many sites dedicated to atv accessories as well as sound advice from experienced ATV'ers like you and AKMuddy (many others too) have come to the conclusion that it's ready for my spring griz hunt as it is now.

Have you ever run a Big Bear? Are those 9" front tires on your wifes atv?

Thanks to all who helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    LuJon, I'm hoping your right. I've been thinking about picking up an ATV for the past four or five years and had settled on the Yamaha Big Bear for the attributes you listed, I think the Big Bear will be solid reliable hunting atv.
    However, I failed to research (reason for this thread) the after market accessories, but after reading through this and other forums and looking at many sites dedicated to atv accessories as well as sound advice from experienced ATV'ers like you and AKMuddy (many others too) have come to the conclusion that it's ready for my spring griz hunt as it is now.

Have you ever run a Big Bear? Are those 9" front tires on your wifes atv?

Thanks to all who helped.
    No those are 12s I think! Too wide in my opinion but they were on it when I picked it up so they will be on it till they wear out! I need to get a winch and some grip warmers set up on it for the wife and it will be all set for many years! I have run a big bear a little bit but never owned one. I have only owned automatics dating all the way back to a 93 po-po 300 2cycle. That rig was a PITA, it was before they got good at sealing up the belt housing and is one of several that led to the negative view many have on belt drive rigs. Nothing like fording a fast moving creek and having the belt start slipping! Most of my early riding was done on zuki King Quads owned by buddies. The newer big bears seem to be the perfect modern version of that classic recipe. Not too big, not too heavy, but enough to get you anywhere you really need to go hauling a reasonable load, and not guzzling the fuel in the process!

Default Big Bear

Ive been riding a Big Bear for 6 years and all Ive done with change the oil and the spark plug once. Its been a reliable machine. I put a locking front diff in it and now I get an arm workout when I need four wheel drive but no longer has the 3 legged dog syndrome. I wish I would have waited till IRS came out, Ill bet the new ones ride much better. I think the news ones come with mudlites on them, and they are worth it. Much better bite in mud and snow.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

byrd_hntr,

The new Big Bears do come with the ITP Mud Lites, there are different models of ML and the model on the BB don't have the deepest tread ITP offers but they should still work great. You may know but the new BB also comes with diff-lock. I can't wait to hit the trail to test the IRS as I've only operated atv's with the solid rear axle, I've heard the ride/feel is very different especially side-hilling............I'll find out soon.

Thanks and safe riding-

Do most of the newer machines come without a pull / kick start? If so the stock battery might be good thing to upgrade.
    A nice odyssey or similar.

We picked up a couple Honda 420s last year and there is no alt method of starting them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast