Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling

Default Trolling

Whats your favorite lures for trolling for Silvers and Kings? I am very familure with what works in the rivers but this will be my first year in the sound and Im curious to find out what your favorites are.

Default anything works on kings...

especially if it is green.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Whats your favorite lures for trolling for Silvers and Kings? I am very familure with what works in the rivers but this will be my first year in the sound and Im curious to find out what your favorites are.
    Spoons (LJ Coyotes from the PNW or North Point Nailers from the midwest) Apex's, hoochies, Brads Super Plug Cuts will all get the job done.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Are you stuck on lures? In the last 2 days my charters have caught 5 kings ranging from 11 lbs. to 19 lbs. on "green label" herring behind an 11" flasher.

If I get around to lures I love "rainbow" Tee-spoons and various colored Northern King spoons.

Im open to anything that catches fish. Ill be using downriggers, mostly in Valdez but Seward isnt out of the question.

IMHO herring will always outfish a lure---salmon depend on both sight and scent to forage. Which do you think they'd prefer---a shiny piece of metal, or a shiny, smelly herring?

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    IMHO herring will always outfish a lure---salmon depend on both sight and scent to forage. Which do you think they'd prefer---a shiny piece of metal, or a shiny, smelly herring?
    Nah. Seems like Kings/coho's will always want something more than herring. But, it changes every year. I can't explain it, but that's how it works. Last year it was diamond king spoons. We killed the kings on diamond kings spoons off POW. Year before it was a purple/clear/sparkle Hootchies. Year before that it was Bait Busters. Year before that it was green/glow 4/0 coyote spoons behind a flasher. Starting May 1st, I'll be throwing everything I have at them, until I figure out what they are wanting this year. Just part of the fun of fishing.

If you don't believe me, dig through some old power troller boats. They have 50 of one particular spoon. They'll tell you how they killed the kings back in '89 on that spoon, but haven't caught many fish on them since then.

Herring always works. But, there is always something that will out fish it.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Nah. Seems like Kings/coho's will always want something more than herring. But, it changes every year. I can't explain it, but that's how it works. Last year it was diamond king spoons. We killed the kings on diamond kings spoons off POW. Year before it was a purple/clear/sparkle Hootchies. Year before that it was Bait Busters. Year before that it was green/glow 4/0 coyote spoons behind a flasher. Starting May 1st, I'll be throwing everything I have at them, until I figure out what they are wanting this year. Just part of the fun of fishing.

If you don't believe me, dig through some old power troller boats. They have 50 of one particular spoon. They'll tell you how they killed the kings back in '89 on that spoon, but haven't caught many fish on them since then.

Herring always works. But, there is always something that will out fish it.
    Nah. In the 20 years I've been trolling for kings there's nothing like herring. Silvers will hit your house key with a hook attached to it if you throw that out there when they're in a feeding frenzy, but kings are particularly picky.

Just keep believing. More kings for me.

270T, I gotta agree with ya, I been fishing them a long time now, and them kings are a lot like women. They seem to change every day, week , and month. But it sures seems like they change favorits every year

In the seven years I was if the southeast I always used herring, About 3 feet behind a flasher for kings and a little longer for silvers. I normally used red or green flashers and a whole herring with a slit in the top of the snout. I hooked the bottom hook of my salmon leader in the tail and the other hook near the pectoral fin and then put a half hitch in the line and looped that around the slit in the top of the snout. There are a lot of other ways to rig up herring that work great as well. I would continue to ask questions on here and you will get some good ideas. I also think 270ti has a good point. They don't always hit on the same thing, try some of what he is talking about and see if it works. The cool thing about this site is that you can keep up with what other people are trying in your area and find out what is working.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Pixee

(seriously)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Spoons (LJ Coyotes from the PNW or North Point Nailers from the midwest) Apex's, hoochies, Brads Super Plug Cuts will all get the job done.

Oh yeah... don't forget about the Ace-Hi Fly!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    270T, I gotta agree with ya, I been fishing them a long time now, and them kings are a lot like women. They seem to change every day, week , and month. But it sures seems like they change favorits every year
    I think a lot of guys wallets would be heavier if 1 thing always worked the best on kings. But, that would be no fun. My boat is in the shop right now. When it's all tuned up for the 2010 season, I'll hit the water trying to find the 1 lure they want more than anything else. I really hope it's a Bait Buster year.....

Here's a weird one. Have any of you guys have ever had any luck (or even tried for that matter) trolling a vibrax using a downrigger setup?

Default kwikfish for me

i have this special greenish kwikfish that i swear is magical. just add a herring wrap and send to the depths behind a deep six. the tuning on this one must be perfect because it outfishes all my other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Here's a weird one. Have any of you guys have ever had any luck (or even tried for that matter) trolling a vibrax using a downrigger setup?
    I've never used a Vibrax, but I have used a large Tee-Spoon while trolling with my downriggers off of the Anchor Point beaches north of the point (Whiskey Gulch). It has been quite successful for me. I would imagine a Vibrax would probably be just as effective.

I know this is about kings, but my favorite lure for downrigging silvers is a Tee-Spoon as well. I love the "rainbow" colored spinner and the silvers seem to, too.

Yes, and with good success. My girlfriend didn`t want to have to reset everything to check bait and she had a tendancy to pick up more silvers on a #6 rainbow colored Vibrax than I did with a hooch/herring setup...sometimes I just don`t understand.

Yup! I do it and have done well for silvers. I only use the down diggers when someone else drives as no one else in my family likes to operate them. When I drive they use jet divers instead. I always apply herring oil or butter in the ocean with the vibrax. I also do better without a flasher. Only hooked one king but the wife broke the cardinal rule and let her tip down when I tried to net it. The big boy saw the net and that was all she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Yup! I do it and have done well for silvers. I only use the down diggers when someone else drives as no one else in my family likes to operate them. When I drive they use jet divers instead. I always apply herring oil or butter in the ocean with the vibrax. I also do better without a flasher. Only hooked one king but the wife broke the cardinal rule and let her tip down when I tried to net it. The big boy saw the net and that was all she wrote.
    My wife did the same thing with a monster of a silver last September out of Whittier. She was fuming mad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast