View Poll Results: Do you keep bear meat?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope!

19 16.96%
  • Only black bear.

60 53.57%
  • Both black and grizz.

21 18.75%
  • For the dogs, not for me.

1 0.89%
  • Haven't tried it, but would like to.

11 9.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear meat

Default bear meat

It seems that a lot of people out there don't like (or don't think they like) bear meat. I'm just curious how many bear hunters keep the meat from their bears.....black and/or grizz. I keep both myself, but I don't hunt where the bears are eating fish. That makes a huge difference IMHO.

Never have tried griz. Blueberry Black bears are very tasty though. Are there areas of the state where you don't have to keep black bear meat?

Thumbs up

Black bear for sure .
    Just had a roast from last years spring hunt .
    Grizz or brown bear only if in the right area with lots of blue berries .
    Did a fly hunt a few years ago in the upper Kuskekwim (SP) river area .
    A camp down the river took a huge old sow est age 20 plus years .
    They shot it high on the mountain where it had been eating blueberries (most of her teeth were gone ) Took her back straps , skull and hide back to camp .
    They cooked up the straps and they said it was the best they ever had .
    They hiked back up the mountain the next day and took all the meat off the Bruin and took it back to camp .
    There was 6 guys in the camp and at the end of their 12 day hunt no meat left !!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default depends

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Never have tried griz. Blueberry Black bears are very tasty though. Are there areas of the state where you don't have to keep black bear meat?
    I believe the salvage requirements for black bear meat depend on the time of year. I don't really pay attention to it since I always keep the meat anyway.

Default Black bear

We've had 4 black bears that were barely edible and two that tasted just as good as any meat out there. The last one was extremley good and was taken off of the beach in PWS while the snow was still very deep in the woods and the only green vegitation around was the grass on the beach which he was eating for a good 2 hours before I took him. Very tasty.
    Justin
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm not sure about all areas of the state, but in unit 7 you don't have to salvage black bear meat after June 1st. That should be moved back to July 1st, in my opinion, as the bears aren't eating any fish until July (with the exception of the Russian River cleaning tables), but that is the current law.

-Brian

Thumbs up

My first black bear we had all the meat ground into hamburger and camouflaged it in enchiladas, lasagna, and tacos. Finally one day I decided to throw a few burgers on the grill. 2#'s of burger, some Liptons onion soup mix and a little barbeque sauce and on the grill they went. They were absolutely the best wild game burgers I have had! Now the bear meat is saved for the grill and we are back to using the moose for the other dishes.

I haven't eaten grizz before, but my father in law has. They cooked up some grizz backstrap on a hunt and said it was actually quite good. Biggest factor on quality I believe is if they have been feeding on fish or not. Fish = lousy bear meat.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Rob - Who did the bear burger for you? I know that many meat processors (Alaska Sausage, etc.) won't take bear meat. We grind our own moose and caribou, but I'd be up for trying someone else if I take a bear this spring.

-Brian

Mat-Valley Meats on the Palmer-Wasilla hwy. by the bus parking lot. I now have access to a big grinder so if you want to do a critter just let me know.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Glenn's for bear

Brian,

Glenn's Wild Game off Muldoon (back in residential area) does alot of bears. He did some great moose chorizo for us last year. And fast! But if you want any cooked sausage, he can't do it, only raw sausage. He sends out to Indian Valley for cooked sausage products, and I don't think they do bear.

Mike's Meats in Eagle River has done bears for me in the past. They did great pepperoni sticks.

Mort

I love black bear meet had some griz this fall I didnt care for it at all. But black bear Id have to say is prob my #1 choice for meat.

YUMMY , I like the black bears (Although i had one that the dogs wouldent even eat) do nt care for grizz though.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

This needs a "haven't tried it, but would like to" option. I've heard good and bad about both, but would like to decide for myself. I've also heard that it depends on where you get your bear as much as it does when.

Default bear meat

black bear is great, chef viktor

Indian Valley made burger out of my bear for me. Good job too, I was quite pleased with them overall.

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    Rob - Who did the bear burger for you? I know that many meat processors (Alaska Sausage, etc.) won't take bear meat. We grind our own moose and caribou, but I'd be up for trying someone else if I take a bear this spring.

-Brian

Don't eat them and don't shoot them. I have shot black bear and I ate them but I really didn't care for the meat. But these are baited bear so maybe that makes a difference. I have had really good bear jerky and bear slim jims. But you cannot make a whole bear into just those two things.
    I would like to get a nice brown bear some day but I hate shooting something I won't eat.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

I had some grizz ssausage and it was really really gamey, theres a reason I don't hunt bears.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Black Bear

I have only killed one bear and it was in Maine this Sept. My wife and I LOVE it. It is our favorite meat. I hate to say it but we like it a little better than even caribou. I am not sure what it was eating. Maybe doughnuts and candy!

I will be hunting Black bear this May between Anchorage and Seward. Any sugestions where to take it? (if I get one) I may just do it myself but would like an option. How about sealing bears?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    How about sealing bears?
    Tex - What's your question about sealing? Where to get it done?? You just bring the hide and skull to the Anchorage F&G office. They'll measure the skull, possibly scrape some fat samples from the skin, insert a locking tag in the hide and then you're good to go. Or did you have a different question?

-Brian

We like to eat Black Bear, unless they're old and tough, then we'll grind them. We usually use pork recipes or roasts in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, onions and other good spices. Yummy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast