Thread: May 1ST FISHING ????

Default May 1ST FISHING ????

I am going to be in AK for a brownie hunt. I should have a few days in the Anchorage area around May 1-5.... I was thinking of renting a car and heading toward Homer for a but trip. Any sugestions for fishing that time of year??
    Thanks!

Default the season closes

in most streams that have rainbow trout in them on May 1 (talk about coincidence) to allow for spawning. most stocked lakes are open at this time - lots to chose from in Anchorage & the Kenai Pennsulia - check the F&G website for a list.
    Salt water & halibut are a good choice.
    Gary

You might want to try a combo king/halibut trip out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik instead. You'll get your halibut and will have a decent chance of cathing a king while trolling as well.

Default combo fishing in Ninilchik or Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You might want to try a combo king/halibut trip out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik instead. You'll get your halibut and will have a decent chance of cathing a king while trolling as well.
    I will second this the halibut fishing in homer should be good by this time and their will be a fair chance of catching a king too. Ninilchik will also be a good spot to get a combo king/halibut charter I have never had a problem getting a limit of butts in early may. I am looking forward to the first halibut of the year.

If you're going to head for Homer it's a great time for halibut and kings. I've been out a number of times in the last couple of weeks and have limited out on halibut each time---chickens, but halibut nonetheless---and caught a bunch of kings---two 11 pounders, one 12, one 17 and a nice 19 pounder. The halibut fishing will only get better from here on in and the kings never go away.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I would definitely do a Kasilof float for kings I go every year the end of April and first part of may and do well

Thanks for all your insight!!! I wasnt sure if there was much oppertunity... but I now am going to be fishing for sure. Any of you have any suggestions on charters to go thru??

I'd be happy to give you some suggestions. Contact me.