Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Seafood Health Chart

  1. #1
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Seafood Health Chart

    I thought this was really interesting. Its funny how the purest looks down their nose at the lowly pink salmon. They are actually 2nd in omega 3's behind the chinook. Although apparently they have less than the sockeye when they're canned. Pinks also contain the least mercury of the 5 salmon species http://www.alaskaseafood.org/health/...ersion_002.pdf

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    802

    Default Pink salvation...

    I'll cut a dime bright pink any day, and if it's a hen I'm double lucky because I rate the caviar from a pink superior to any other salmon in appearance, texture, and taste.

    Once tarnished and in fresh water, the pink offers up great fun on the lightest tackle.

    My best catch and release was with a pink; 4 streamer flies in her back and none of them rusty...

    Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"


  3. #3

    Thumbs down

    At first blush it appears to be bogus data. It shows the Omega 3 to rise in Reds after canning and fall in Pinks after canning. Looks like snake oil marketing to me.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default conspiracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    At first blush it appears to be bogus data. It shows the Omega 3 to rise in Reds after canning and fall in Pinks after canning. Looks like snake oil marketing to me.
    akres, snakes and demons? Could you leave the conspiracy theories out of university of Alaskas scientific studies please?
    I just got thinking that w/ this being an even year, theres gonna be a ton of pinks in the cook inlet systems. I sure hope dippers be aware that releasing a gillnet caught fish is considered wanton waste. I would also like to encourage sports fisherman to be extremely careful when releasing a pink, thanks

  5. #5
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    off topic, just had throw this in here but my best catch n release was a big darky silver with a pixee in his tail, and a vibrax in his mouth I flossed him on jim creek.....I also love goin to ship to creek dam and lookin at all the fish that have lures in them, very interesting to see some of those fish with 6 or 8 diff hooks in them.



    Release Lake Trout

  6. #6

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    akres, snakes and demons? Could you leave the conspiracy theories out of university of Alaskas scientific studies please?
    I just got thinking that w/ this being an even year, theres gonna be a ton of pinks in the cook inlet systems. I sure hope dippers be aware that releasing a gillnet caught fish is considered wanton waste. I would also like to encourage sports fisherman to be extremely careful when releasing a pink, thanks
    Well...Bogus Science then. Unless you have a reasonable explanation for the fuzzy math, depicted in the study? Did you read the data and accept it as gospel?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Well...Bogus Science then. Unless you have a reasonable explanation for the fuzzy math, depicted in the study? Did you read the data and accept it as gospel?
    I agree res. That is why I started this thread questioning science awhile back.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=73681
    Last edited by lynch; 04-03-2010 at 19:47. Reason: spelling
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

  8. #8
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Well...Bogus Science then. Unless you have a reasonable explanation for the fuzzy math, depicted in the study? Did you read the data and accept it as gospel?
    Trident Seafoods in Cordova has an FDA chart hanging in the office. It does have different numbers than the ASMI chart but not that different. It shows pinks right behind socks in omega 3's. It went deeper though and broke down the different cholesterols. Sockeyes were at the top of the list when it came to the healthy cholesterols. kings were 2nd and pinks 3rd. The really interesting thing about that chart was it showed cohos as dead last. Apparently cohos gorge themselves and gain 50% of their body weight in the last 6 mo of life. THey don't have time to break down the bad cholesterol and consequently silver salmon have the highest rate of bad cholesterol of any of the 5 salmon species. I'll look for that chart or bug the winter watchman at Trident and try to get that chart
    As for science I'm w/ ya on the Al Gore brand of science. However!, I don't believe the University of Alaska has anything to gain by skewering omega-3 numbers.

  9. #9

    Default

    But, did they factor in copper river salmon?

  10. #10
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    But, did they factor in copper river salmon?
    Shhhhh! (can you keep that on the downlow please?)

  11. #11
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Serving size is 3.5 oz. The chart shows silvers with the lowest cholesterol, but did not break it down into types of cholesterol. So even if the "rate" of bad cholesterol is higher, the overall content may be lower. It would be fun to see the other chart and be able to compare. This is why seeing the study that produces a chart is so valuable- there's a lot of information missing from a chart

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •