Thread: Force Fetch question

Smile Force Fetch question

I guess the real question I have is about how to approach the force fetching scenario. Ranger (9m/o yellow lab) sometimes holds the bumper for me but more often than not he'll drop it a few feet away from me. SO, as a new dog owner where do I begin. The "water dog dvd" my buddy loaned me said to use the table training method and an ear pinch or toe hitch to condition the response. We have been making progress, he's doing short saltwater retrieves, but rarely comes straight back to me, he'll come ashore to the side of me and then come around behind me and drop the object a few feet out. So...could one of you pros give a newbie a basic lesson in force fetching???? Any help would be appreciated.

Also what's a guy to do about digging holes and foraging??? The foraging thing kills me because he usually ends up puucking up. i have noticed he's been foraging more as its been nicer and more spring like out.(atleast in juneau)

The "water dog dvd" my buddy loaned me said to use the table training method and an ear pinch or toe hitch to condition the response. We have been making progress, he's doing short saltwater retrieves, but rarely comes straight back to me, he'll come ashore to the side of me and then come around behind me and drop the object a few feet out.
    roscoak, by no means am I a pro trainer but working thru same problems with my dog after reviewing this subject from numerous resources including a few comments on this forum maybe I can help, sure others will chime in. First thing when working on force fetch is to be at the dogs eye level either sitting on the floor or ground with the dog sitting in front of you, or on a table or even the tailgate of a truck. Next get you a dowel 16" long or paint roller. Place the dowel in the dogs mouth wrap you hand around the dogs muzzle making sure the dogs lips are clear of his teeth and command "hold" and pet and praise the dog all the while repeating the command "hold" after five or six repetitions of commanding "hold", command him to "leave it" or what ever command you have chosen for the pup to deliver to hand. Work on this for five minutes or so a couple of times a day. A few days and the pup will know the command "hold" The "fetch" command comes into play here also you should be able to put the dowel in front of his face and command "fetch" and the pup should do just that and then you command "hold" and then have pup deliver to hand. This part of pups training takes some patience on your part and if you have a pup such as mine, who isnt doing well with pressure being applied ie the ear pinching, it takes even more patience. The ear pinching may work for your dog so after a few days of working on "hold'' so that your sure the dog understands what your asking, try ear pinching if the dog is refusing to "fetch" or "hold" as soon as the dog fetchs and then holds release the ear pinch and pet and praise the dog. After you worked on this for a week or two or however long it takes you can decide to use the E-collar to polish this training, its all personal preference. On a side note with this training and any other training make sure you mix it up with where you are doing it, ie train in the house one day then in the yard maybe the back of the truck another day, this will help avoid some other problems down the road in my opinion. As far as the hole digging and the foraging goes think all pups do that, best thing is when you catch tell them no and command "leave it" Good Luck
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Default Force fetch is not a simple "fix"

It is a process and you need to be committed to it...the whole nine yards....if you are going to do it it should be done with fidelity. The best way to do it "right" is to have someone with experience walk you thru it or get a good book/video to watch from an acknowledged trainer. Watch the video all the way thru (more than once) so you can see what each step leads to. That helps you understand why the need for each step and the need for 100% proficiency at each step. If not use a pro.

If you take a dog and yourself thru the process properly it is will have great results.

I have gone thru the process with three dogs now and they were all good retrievers to start with and each dog taught me something new about it as a whole. I am about to do it again and I plan to review my video and possibly watch another newer version if I can find one just to be sure I have the steps and process down. It has been a few years since I did it last.

Because I am a visual person I read a book and watched the video. I like to see what they are describing.

The toe pinch and ear pinch are only a small part of the FF process...do not make the mistake of doing that as a consequence alone for dropping the bird. It is somewhat like the e-collar, you have to teach the dog what it means and how to turn off the "stimulation" first for them to understand it. Then you can apply it in various scenarios.

Good luck and enjoy it...don't make it a chore.

Sounds like he's telling you he's ready for force fetch. Here are a couple articles that may help & about FF without the e-collar:
    part 1 - http://oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force1.html

part 2 - http://oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force2.html

3CBRS Posted these a week ago and they explain it pretty well and give you some ideas on how to deal with problems associated with force fetch
    Jesse

Default thanks much help!!

Thanks for the help and resources....jesse....".the last 2". so on average how much time do you do training your pup a day???30 minutes 1 hour??

so on average how much time do you do training your pup a day???30 minutes 1 hour??
    rosscoak, with force fetch you want to keep the lessons short about 5 minutes per session and do two or three sessions a day. If you feel the need to do more training during the time when you are force fetching just continue working on obeidence, you dont want to throw any retrieves until the dog knows the command "hold". With my pup took about a week and half to finally get thru what I wanted him to do course I did give a day break here and there just because I didnt want to stress the dog and myself out. It can be frustrating just when you think the dog has it figured out he or she will seem to take a turn for the worse so applying pressure at the right time is critical, ie the ear pinch or shock collar. Case in point with my dog had been holding the training buck fairly well for a few days and then went right back to dropping it at this point you know the dog knows what you want it to do so its time to apply pressure and the ear pinching didnt seem to work well for me so e-collar was put on and only took a couple of nicks from the collar and the dog suddenly "holds" like he has done it for years So have patience and good luck!!
    Jesse