Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down Time...Anchorage or Fairbanks

Default Down Time...Anchorage or Fairbanks

Lets say in mid-August it is possible you may have a few days to kill. Would you prefer to be in Anchorage or Fairbanks?

I know there's not much in Anchortown itself, what about the surrouding area? What can you do in Chugach park? Are there roads that you can drive through some parts of the park, Any chances of seeing sheep?

What about Fairbanks?

I will have a rental vehicle but at .60 cents a mile it is a factor.
    Thanks, Ken

If in Anc you could take a hike up Flattop to check out some sheep. Also there is some pretty decent fishing without too much of a drive.

Ken , will you be sheep hunting while your here?

about your downtime, I lived in both areas, but it all depends what you like to do. also, how much downtime you have.....

Wink

The Alaska Zoo is in Anchorage. You should look into renting a U-Haul truck, sounds like it might be cheaper than a car.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    Lets say in mid-August it is possible you may have a few days to kill. Would you prefer to be in Anchorage or Fairbanks?

I know there's not much in Anchortown itself, what about the surrouding area? What can you do in Chugach park? Are there roads that you can drive through some parts of the park, Any chances of seeing sheep?

What about Fairbanks?

Thanks, Ken
    If you rent from one of the bigger rental companies at the airport they don't charge mileage charges. Typically its the smaller independent companies that charge mileage. Their rates may be lower but you pay for it in the end.

KLICKMAN

My assumption is that you are coming back on a Re-Hunt, to get a sheep. I remember your story, but why would you want to just look at sheep if you just hunted for them and just bagged one? why not just roll into another hunt/Fishing or something?

Smile

Yes, its a rehunt.. Last year Alaska Air wanted my first born son to rebook my flight. I'm too stubborn for that thievery. I managed to kill some time at Denali and Anchorage. Last year I had no transpotation so I was limited in things to do.

First off, lets admit I may be hunting for 10 solid days, but I'm booking the flight for 14 days so many scenarios are possible.

Here's why it is all up in the air.
    I prefer to fly direct to Anchorage and then drive to Healy.
    If, I am lucky on the hunt, then I would like to get the horns, cape and meat to Fairbanks. I can drive north to Fairbanks with the rental vehicle and then turn around and head back to Anchortown. This will eat up the 750 miles that are included with the rental.

I can fly to Fairbanks and rent a vehicle there but this requires a layover in Anchorage, then once in Fairbanks the late arrival will require an extra overnight stay in Fairbanks
    I much prefer direct flights for several reasons and this is why I'm most likely going to fly direct to Anchorage.

This all leads us to the original question. If I have several days to do things where would I prefer to be?

I will have only hunting gear with me. No fishing gear but I do love to fish.

I'm just not very good at making decisions. Thanks,Ken

Default Are you single?

Anchorage has the Great Alaska Bush Company. It also is closer to good silver salmon fishing.

Fairbanks has the Howling Dog and Silver Gulch Brewery. We also have Chena Hot Springs Resort which might be nice after a tough week in the mountains.

Your call.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Anchorage. IMO there is more opportunity to see and do things if you have a rental car (various glacier's and hiking trails, animal viewing, fishing, charters and photo opportunities), it's a larger city (check out the pizza at the Moose's Tooth in addition to the Bush Company), and it has better fishing options compared to Fairbanks. A two hour drive south of Anchorage puts you in the middle of some good fishing.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Anchorage has the Great Alaska Bush Company. It also is closer to good silver salmon fishing.

Fairbanks has the Howling Dog and Silver Gulch Brewery. We also have Chena Hot Springs Resort which might be nice after a tough week in the mountains.

Your call.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Great Alaska Bush company? Tell me about this please.. Ken

Great Alaska Bush company? Tell me about this please.. Ken
    It's a strip club, Ken. They're suggesting that you go to a strip club.

If you'd like to spend your time hiking and possibly doing another diy hunt, I think the Anchorage area is the place for you. Driving south along Turnagain Arm opens up a lot of awesome hikes where you're likely to see sheep. I understand that desire. Even after a hunt I still love spending time hiking among sheep. If you're interested in throwing in a short black bear hunt, drive just a little farther and hike up any trail from Turnagain Pass down through the Kenai Mountains. The coats won't be absolutely prime, but they should be decent and the meat should be good if you shoot one up high off of berries. Alternatively, drive to the upper Kenai or Russian River, rent a pole, and try your hand at either silver salmon or rainbows.

What about Fairbanks?

Thanks, Ken
    Anchorage...you can see plenty of sheep, several moose, and possibly a bear or two hiking from the Glen Alps trailhead on the edge of Anchorage, and you can hike to the top of Flattop and have a great view if you're not tuckered out from your hunt.

You can drive down to Girdwood in about 30 minutes, or drive over to Eagle River or Eklutna Lake, or several other scenic areas within 30 minutes of Anchorage.

And you probably already know this, but a 14 flight window for a 10 day hunt may leave you with less downtime than you think, if you get dalyaed by weather getting into or out of the field.

Good luck on your hunt, and enjoy your time in Alaska!

Guys, the jokes about what goes on at the Bush Company are not appropriate for this site. The original poster asked what it was and his question was answered. That's as far as it is going to go on here. We have a lot of minors who use this site, and we're not OK with discussing things of a sexual nature per our forum rules. I understand it was all said in good fun, but keeping this site family friendly is very important to us. Thanks for your understanding.

Since I can't talk about the wild things I wanted to talk about I guess I will help you out. Right around Fairbanks there is not that much but an hour or so away there is a lot. The Delta area is great for birds (although they are down now) and sheep if you get a tag. There is also a registration hunt for Caribou in the Delta controlled use area in August. I like to go to the White MTNs. a lot in the summer too. The Wickersham Dome area is great for berry picking in mid. August. Check out the F@G web site for stocked lakes in the interior also if you want to do some fishing, there are to many good fishing lakes to mention but the web site lists them. If you want to do some hiking just for fun the White MTNs. are good for that too.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Ken

Seeing as how you have gone to denali and will be hunting out of Healy i suggest you head south from Anchorage. Homer is the end of the road and a pleasant and scenic 200 mile drive. When there book a Halibut charter or visit Seward about half that distance. Get a charter there and combine Silver Salmon and Halibut. You will not be disapointed.
    Need more info PM me, glad to help.

Default Downtime

Ken,
    You should be wrapping up your sheep hunt the same time I will be wrapping up mine, if you would like to borrow some fishing tackle and a pole to go fishing wherever I won't mine, Just let me know, I live in the valley....

Don't waste your money on the Bush Co. spend it at Barneys... I like the material things they have to offer.

Default Presents for Wife

Anchorage has a lot of advantages but We in Fairbanks do have Gold Rush Jewelry and 2nd Ave Rare Coin.
    Gold Rush has excellent gold rush jewelry and nugget charms.
    2nd Ave. Rare coin has an excellent rare hunting book and carved ivory collection.

You can take a trip down to Valdez for Silvers.
    We may not have the size of Anchorage but we are a friendly town that likes hunters and most people will actually smile at you if you explain that you are from out of state and are up here hunting.

I just have to defend FAI bragging rights.
    Brewsters makes a better burger than Red Robin.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Also, in August and year round for that matter you can fly direct to FAI. Beginning this year there are direct flights from Denver as well. If you like fly-fishing, the upper Chena river in August can be INCREDIBLE for grayling. as well as the hot springs. Just north of Fairbanks can be excellent ptarmigan hunting

It looks like there is some pretty cool hiking trails in the Chugach.
    Anyone care to share some thoughts on this?
    Is overnite camping allowed? Overnite parking for the vehicle?
    Is there a trail that loops back to to your vehicle? it looks like most go from point A to point B. Thanks, Ken

I'd fish Silvers in Ship Creek, Bird Creek or Little Su...all in Anchorage or within an hour. Go into Walmart and buy a cheap rod and some tackle then give it to some guy that looks like he could use it on your last day or hire a guide in Wasilla.

$130 for 6 hours isn't bad:

http://www.fish4salmon.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast