Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your ammo can?

Default Whats in your ammo can?

So today I was at my mothers house and looked thru the shed (I keep all my "crap" there lol) and looked thru all my ammo......heres what I found:

180 rounds of 30-06- good
    210 rounds of .300 win mag- great
    105 rounds of .270 win- wonderful to know
    probably 700 or so .22 shells- excellent!
    30 rounds of 30-30 win- better sell those
    9 rounds of .250 savage? weird
    27 rounds of .22 hornet? also weird
    82 rounds of .44 mag ammo- ill hang on to it i guess
    20 rounds of .32 win special rifle ammo? where the h did that come from? the box is almost completely faded of words
    24 shells of .410 gauge: good thing
    215 12 gauge shells: good thing
    1 .338 win mag? never had one
    10 rounds of .22-250? never had one
    also "discovered":
    alot of good powder and bullets i didnt know I had

Release Lake Trout

I too have plenty of assorted rounds, all boxed and locked, some in crates and some in baggies.
    My 7.62X54r and my .22lr are the most accessable, the rest are stored, with the box of "odd ammo" in the cupboard where I can dump the stuff.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i didnt include it with the masses but i also found a PILE of different handgun ammuntion that I believe must have been my dads.

Release Lake Trout

All that ammo will be worth alot when the Anarchy starts.Can of beans per bullet.I also have stuff I don't have a gun for.Just can't walk by a box of ammo at a rumage sale.

2000+ of 38special wadcutter (for training, already shot 2000+ of it. this last year in classes)
    500+/- of 38special lead roundnose (also for upcoming class).
    250+ (5+ boxes) misc Buffalo Bore/Hornady .38special Hollowpoints (various)
    1 box of +P+ .38special FMJ.

1 .30cal AMMO CAN packed FULL of .22 High Velocity jacketed HP's.
    2 more unopened BRICKS of .22 ammo.

ONE LARGE FULL DUFFLE BAG full of various (new) boxes of 12ga ammo, in the following: #4shot, 00buckshot, and roundnose Slugs. A couple boxes of birdshot (probably #6 and #8) mixed in there somewhere. (shotty reloader press also in storage, and lotsa extra shotty primers).

Right now, just a couple Boxes of .223 stashed for emergency (now rebuilding stock). Also couple boxes kept with the gun.

Various zip-locks full of .40, .45acp, .308, and 30-06 "left over" ammo in another Duffle Bag for possible new gun purchases/barter. (as I'm looking for a "new" .45acp "CS45 or 4513TSW" for me, and a new .308 or 30-06 Rem700 soon for Dad, (ie: me)...or Possibly a .300HH in a REM721...(so holding/stocking more of that every chance I can).

I have no idea of a list. There are about fifty 50bmg boxes out there jammed full of brass and ammo. Ten of the big cans (18"x24"x8") full of ammo and brass, one each full of 357, 38, 308, 30-06, 7.7&6.5 Jap, 50bmg, and the others all kinds of stuff. Plus other old crates and boxed of mixed up stuff.

I have far more brass than loaded ammo, I have been picking this stuff up all my life when I see it for cheap or free. I keep close tabs on ammo age and don't shoot any second hand stuff I am not 100% sure of because what I watched old ammo do to my Dad and his M1.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I keep close tabs on ammo age and don't shoot any second hand stuff I am not 100% sure of because what I watched old ammo do to my Dad and his M1.
    Andy, what happened? I'm shooting a bunch of 20+yr old or more .38special wadcutter, and have had no problems...yet. But, What happend with the M1, if you don't mind telling the story?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Andy, what happened? I'm shooting a bunch of 20+yr old or more .38special wadcutter, and have had no problems...yet. But, What happend with the M1, if you don't mind telling the story?
    WWII surplus ammo that looked great on the outside cut his M1 in half in his hands. He was kneeling with elbow on knee when the first round of this ammo went BOOM and we were all pelted with sand and M1 shrapnel. When the dust cleared Dad was rolling around on his back with buttstock in one hand, for stock in the other, barrel and receiver hanging by the sling around his arm trying to yell ďmortarĒ like he was back on Okinawa. The blast had removed his ear muffs, hat, glasses, and broke the headlight in my truck 15 feet away but Dad was only shook up and scratched a bit. It sheared off the bolt lugs, blew open the receiver front ring, pushed all the guts out the bottom of the magazine, and turned the middle of the stock to splinters.

After a couple hours of picking up M1 shrapnel we headed to the bench and started pulling bullets. Some of the powder was fine, some was stuck together in clumps, and some had to be dug out with a stick. He had 2000 rounds of this stuff and nun of us were in any mood to play with it much after what we watched so it all went onto a very entertaining desert bon fire. I got the M1 splinters when Dad died last year and plan on posting pictures as soon as I get my camera working again.

So anyway, I no longer play with any ammo I am not 100% sure has always been stored properly . . . cheap shooting ainít worth the risk to me anymore!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Dad was only shook up and scratched a bit....
    Holy crap, and Thank GOD!

He had 2000 rounds of this stuff and nun of us were in any mood to play with it much after what we watched

Makes me seriously reconsider that 2000rds of .38 wadcutter I have.
    2000rds fired so far, and not even a dud, and stored in a dry Arizona garage for 20+years...but after that story..WOW! I'm wondering.

Dad died last year
    My Mom too Bro. RIP to your Dad, Andy. Blue skys and tailwinds.

Default Older ammo

I had a round of .375 H&H round hit some very high pressures this winter. The ammo was not that old- probably hand loaded not more than 25 yrs ago. The round locked the gun up but fortuntly didn't damage anything.

I pulled the bullets on the rest of the box and in some the powder had clumped and fused together and the cases were heavily corroded inside. However, the powder did not show the ususal signs of deterioration - acidic smell and orange dust etc - just the clumped or fused together grains.

I've got a bunch of old US WWII ammo - I'll pull some and see what it looks like inside. I also have some WWI ammo from 1917 in which the cases are literaly crumbling apart. However the powder looks as good as the day it was made!

I've read where M1 rifles were tested and found to withstand over 100,000 psi. The pressure that blew our Dad's up must have been incrediable!

WWII surplus ammo that looked great on the outside cut his M1 in half in his hands.

After a couple hours of picking up M1 shrapnel we headed to the bench and started pulling bullets. Some of the powder was fine, some was stuck together in clumps, and some had to be dug out with a stick. He had 2000 rounds of this stuff and nun of us were in any mood to play with it much after what we watched so it all went onto a very entertaining desert bon fire. I got the M1 splinters when Dad died last year and plan on posting pictures as soon as I get my camera working again.

So anyway, I no longer play with any ammo I am not 100% sure has always been stored properly . . . cheap shooting ainít worth the risk to me anymore!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

No smell or dust to the powder, just clumped together and corroded to the brass in the real bad stuff. We debated saving the brass but it was not worth the work for old questionable 30-06 brass. The powder when light with a match in a pie tin seemed to burn a tad fast but nothing remarkable that would tell you it could do that to an M1. My theory is that the moisture sweated the coating off the granules and changed the burn rate but itís just a wild guess. Fear of abrading the coating off and having a BOOM like this also keeps me from tumbling loaded ammo like a lot of guys do.

Before this incident surplus was about the only loaded ammo anyone in my family ever bought, that's where we got most of our brass. It was likely the one box of many thousands sent over and back for the Japan invasion that had a bad seal or something. Definitely not the norm for surplus ammo but it was a wakeup call for us about the potential risk of water damage. I have disassembled a heck of a lot of ammo since then including 5000 Jap made 7.7s and not found clumps like that but I still wonít shoot ammo I donít know where itís been and how it was stored. As we all know the vast majority of old ammo is fine but . . .

I ordered a battery for my camera Friday so should be able to post pictures of the M1 this week.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

wow....thats a wake up call for me then....I have about 50 rounds of reloaded 30-06 ammo....130 grain....that i got from a guy i know in a trade...im gonna pull some samples and make sure....it looks pretty old... better safe than sorry

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    wow....thats a wake up call for me then....I have about 50 rounds of reloaded 30-06 ammo....130 grain....that i got from a guy i know in a trade...im gonna pull some samples and make sure....it looks pretty old... better safe than sorry
    Two weeks ago I picked up some old 7MM Mag and 30-30for about $10 a box from a friend who lost interest in shooting and just isn't physically up to due to health and his age so I will pull a round or two of each for safetys sake.

On saturday I was talking AR-15 with a friend as he has a few of them and spent 20yrs in the Army and I have no experience with them. He just picked up a near new DPMS and offered to let me take it to the range. So sunday we met up for breakfast and he gave me the rifle. I had a tree to remove and some other chores so about 1:30pm I head to the range with 120 rounds of ammo from Walmart.
    It was unusually busy and after about a 30 minute wait I got a bench. Over the next hour I ran most of the ammo downrange and two guys about mid thirtys show up with a 12 year old and setup to my right.
    They had a revolver in 38 Special, a lever action 30-30 and a Beeman air rifle. They shot for a while and as I was done I moved back from the bench and began to pack things up. A couple of minutes later one of them walks back to put the 30-30 in the rack next to me and I see that barrel is split wide open in four places, each about a 1 1/2" long about four inches from the muzzle.
    Evidently the other guy shot a 38 Special round in it and then fired a 30-30. I am no Rocket Scientist but it is not too hard to surmise what happened. Fortunately no one was injured! I sheepishly asked one of the Rangemasters if he had ever see what the result was of someone shooting two rounds in that succession and point to the rifle. He took some pics with his cell phone and called the other Rangemasters over for a looksee.
    Big eyes all around with some head scratching to go with it. I tell ya, Some Peoples Children!
    I did not have any cash with me but would have offered them $50 for it. That would have kept them in beans and tortillas for a while.

Oh yeah, on the plus side I had some fun taking the AR apart to clean it before I returned it to Greg. Pretty simple after watching a You Tube video.

I don't have much of a stockpile, but since I've been loading more than shooting lately it's getting bigger. Probably roughly 400 rds of .45 ACP, about 100 rds. for the .460 S&W, roughly 60 or so for the .300 win mag, about the same for the .243, a couple thousand .22 LR, couple hundred each of .22 mag and .17 HMR, a few hundered 12 gauge shells, maybe 10 brenneke slugs, 200 or so 20 gauge shells, a couple boxes .410....that's about it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Great Thread, H&FAK!

Okay guys, this was a solid good shooting Winchester M1 Garand till the water damaged ammo thing.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have been there when quite a few guns got ruined and killed a couple myself but this one was by far the loudest and nastiest of the lot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast