Thread: Question: Sport Jon Windshield Wiper Assembly

Default Question: Sport Jon Windshield Wiper Assembly

Browsing the internet I found an affordable set-up for windshield wipers, motors, arms, etc. I believe will work on my Phantom SJ. Frankly, I'm not sure what to purchase - a marine wiper kit or a more affordable DIY auto kit. Has anyone installed their own or researched this? Is one really better than the other? Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I'm in the same boat as you...I don't know anything about the difference if any except for the price....all I can say is that I was not impressed with the 'marine' wipers installed on my last boat (similar to yours)....I can't imagine how the auto kit wouldn't work as long as the wiper size works with your window size...heck, you might get an intermittent setting to boot......

..perhaps the wiper motor and switch is water proof in the marine version and the auto is not...probably wouldn't matter if the motor was mounted on the back side of the console...I'm just guessing here though...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Agreed. I have a few ideas to water proof the assembly and seal the attachment points. I may look into Jeep parts and accessories as they are designed to take the elements and keep on going. Perhaps a 'rear window' wiper motor would work; they are typically smaller and more or less cover the area you would need on a SJ window.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

i bought both wiper kits from the same place Compeaus gets them and i paid what they charge for ONE side for both of mine.

Thanks - I'll send you a PM.

Default where?

akriverrunner
    would you mind let us know where it was, what you bought and how much you paid ?
    thanks!

Default Here is my guess

I know compeaus gets a lot of stuff here and about doubles the price.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/

Default Better prices

http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...404&text=wiper

I bought mine thru these guys and am happy with the price and shipping.

Plus they have a outlet in Homer

i know i paid right at 300 for both sides including motors arms and blades. I will get the name of the business tonight when i can look at them on my boat.

can you take a pic. of the inside need to put some on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    i know i paid right at 300 for both sides including motors arms and blades. I will get the name of the business tonight when i can look at them on my boat.

ditto, looking forward to the information.

As long as the motor shaft is mounted so it is centered on the window you will be good to go. the arms i purchased are adjustable so you can fine tune them once you put them on. i believe the blades were 14". look up amequipment.com, the motors i used were the 212-2000, 65 degree. maybe buy an extra arm and blade, i had my passenger side arm strip out where it slides on the shaft i think because my center window was open and the wiper got bumped on or something.

After following up on leads and price checking product in and out of state I ordered a dual windshield wiper set-up from Aztec (Phantom). The order includes two motors (85 degree), arms, 14" blades, and pre-built wire harness for $300 plus s/h.

Your post about the extra arm and blade is a smart one - I'll call and add the extra parts. Thanks to everyone who posted offering assistance.