Thread: Ak Fishing News: Gillnets on the Kenai May Be Trouble For Rainbows

Anchorage, Alaska

Arrow Ak Fishing News: Gillnets on the Kenai May Be Trouble For Rainbows

This news clip is from Alaska Fishing News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

State fisheries biologists are concerned that subsistence gillnets in the upper Kenai River may lead to depletion of rainbow trout caught incidental to targeted salmon. The Federal Subsistence Board granted priority rights to Ninilchik residents because of claimed customary and traditional use.

The Anchorage Daily News reports that "Any trout incidentally killed in the salmon nets also could go in Ninilchik freezers, according to the proposals, and the state expects that haul to be a big one -- in part because the federal waters where the subsistence priority applies are in the river's upper reaches, where the trout grow fat on salmon eggs and in most size classes are protected by catch-and-release regulations." Read the entire story in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Fishing News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to

Rifle River MI

Unhappy WOW Tell me it ain't so!

I hate to sound like Gloom and Doom however when you add in the purposed Mining operation on Alaska Pen, and the Upper Gulkana, Drilling in Bristol Bay and Gil-Netting on the upper reaches of any river and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen to our fisheries in a very short time.

Yes we are being attacked on every-side by numerous user groups who have different agendas that include exploiting of our natural resources. I ask my-self if I am any better providing a guide service and I suppose that question is yet to be answered however we do promote catch and release as well as leave no trace.

I guess the bottom line is that someone at a level higher than I will ever be is not looking to conserve for the future, and would like to live for the moment verses having their children’s children enjoy the same harvest capabilities and resources they currently have available to them.

Thumbs down Tip of the iceberg

I understand there are several other communities besides Ninilchik discussing access to the same subsistence gillnet priority rights. There appears to be a window of opportunity for them to get a piece of the action too, and Ninichik will set precedence for them. This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends. Don't even get me started on Ninilchik being classified as a rural subsistence community, particularly for fish way over in the Upper Kenai River.