Thread: Alaska rodbuilders

Default Alaska rodbuilders

This is an informal group of rodbuilders that get together to build our skills. If you build rods your welcome to come by. If you would like to build rods your welcome to come by as well, we will get you started.
    It has been a while since the last gathering so I apoligize for taking so long to get these dates set. Between Work, Home Projects, and trying to build a few rods, it has been life in the fast lane for me. I finally managed to get the Legion hall reserved for 17 April, and 22 May. I will plan on starting at 10:00 AM, and running until 4:00 PM. Last time I thought was a great start. The group sat and discussed rodbuilding all day, with no set format just sitting around and talking. I will have some basic demonstrations ready to present for this one if need be. If anyone has a topic they would like for me to cover shoot me a line and I will do what I can. If you know of anyone that might be interested in rodbuilding bring them along. It is open to anyone.
    These will be the last 2 before the summer I will start them up again in the fall.

Here are the dates again

Rodbuilding Club
    Peters Creek American Legion
    Saturday April 17th
    10:00 AM--4PM
    There will be food of some type, I am just not sure what yet. I will send an email as the date grows closer

IF you would ike to attend and need directions email me at 907rodbuilder@gmail.com Google and Yahoo maps will take you to someplace close to Chugiak High School Which is a few exits before you get to the American Legion

Rodbuilding Club
    Peters Creek American Legion
    Saturday May 22
    10:00 AM--4PM
    There will be food of some type, I am just not sure what yet. I will send an email as the date grows closer

Default I'm in

I'm lookin' at making my own center pin set up, so I will make an appearance and either get started in april or get everything together and be ready for May. Thanks for the info.

Default Cmon by

Hey Bowdy15,
    Do stop by. There will probably be a few questions on Center pin rods. That is an area that I have little knowledge of. I have heard of them, and seen them while web browsing, but never fished one. You will be a welcome addition to the group. Email or PM meif you need directions. Google & yahoo will get ya lost.

Kirk

Default Thank you

I would like to Thank everyone for coming out to the Rodbuilding Gathering. We had between 6 & 8 people throughout the day. I am proud to say that there is one more rodbuilder in the world today. Frank Wilkinson came out and learned how to assemble a rod, and how to wrap guides on, this is one of We had 2 attendee's from the previous gathering. Mark Brooks came out, brought his wife along with. I had exchanged Emails with Mark prior to this and he was asking questions about Customizing a rod for his wife. There was a lot of discussion on his different options so I hope we havn't muddied the waters too much for them. Pete Pickett came and brought with him a homemade wrapping stand. For less than $20.00 he was able to put together a wrapping stand using a drill he had. I was impressed. What was even more impressive to me was able to was his technic for drying the finish on the rod he built. It just goes to show that with a little ingenuity you can do a lot with a little.
    I am terrible with names so please forgive me for not remembering the names of everyone in attendance. I do appreciate everyone that came out, and I hope to see everyone come back.

There will be one more Gathering May 22nd then we will take a break until the fall. I will be sure to post reminders out here

Kirk

PS I almost forgot. I want to thank John Lubben for coming down from Fairbanks. He brought a lot of insight to the group, so I hope he makes it back down

Kirk

I dont know when but you will see my face eventually with some bamboo sticks! Got a trip coming up and then summer is here....I dont plan on doing to much building between now and fall, though that may change....I'd really like to get a grayling rod done and get a chance to use it before winter....MAYBE lol.

Hi Tradbow,

Your welcome to show up anytime. You don't have to bring anything if you don't want. It is a great time, and very loosly formatted. There were 3 topics I told people I would cover. I probably covered 2 1/2.......lol I fumbled pretty bad on the Decorative wraps presentation. I will be better prepared next time. The rest of the time we just hung out and talked rodbuilding and fishing. That took up 8 hours......lol I am still learning on setting these up, estimating the time I have to cover topics. I am always afraid I wont be able to keep everyone busy.......It hasn't been an issue so far........lol

Anyways come out and join us May 22

Kirk

I may do that if I have the days off...not sure dont have the sched yet past the 11th when I return home from vacation.

I had a good time. I'm sure they will be getting larger as you progress. I hope to make another one soon. FBX is a bit to far away for every one for me. ))