Thread: Going Bear Hunting? Need a sled?

Default Going Bear Hunting? Need a sled?

Have I got a deal for somebody. I want the new sled I built to get used some more before summer. If anybody in or around Fairbanks is planning a spring cabin building trip or bear hunt and need a UHMW sled, I'll loan you mine.
    This is one of my standard UHMW sleds that we described in the snowmobile forum. It is approximately 9' long and has a 27" wide bottom. This particular sled was built out of 3 pieces of UHMW that were fusion welded together by Mike Horn, aka Superslide, at his plant in Boise.
    The goal here is to determine if the fusion welds will take the constant flexing without damage. To date this sled has hauled close to 4 or 5 cords of firewood with each load weighing 400 to 700lbs. I've pulled it for several hundred miles. The sled still looks perfect.
    So, if a member needs a sled, and you agree to several caveats, it is available. First, just take care of the darn thing. Second, document the trip and mileage. Take pictures showing the loads, terrain, and "mission". Shoot a little video if possible. And last, just remember where you got it. It has a home and needs to get back when you are done.
    Anybody interested? Whoever can "use/abuse" it the most gets first shot. And if several people need it on alternating dates so much the better.
    ARR

How much for freight?

I will kill that thing DEAD and send ya the ashes.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default HAH HAH, a GOOD MORNING LAUGH is ALWAYS GOOD

I think your machine will die a long slow death pulling the "BLUE TRAIN". Mile after mile that sled will smile and in the end you'll put that old machine inside her and pull her like an old sled dog home.
    If it weren't for getting her out there I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like I said, I want to know if this sled holds up any different than my others.
    If I thought it would fail on a guy on a bear hunt, I would NOT let him take it. Is there anything worse than planning and getting ready for a trip, leaving, and then things start breaking? I would not knowingly be a party to causing that kind of grief.
    I'd like to see pictures of that pretty blue sled loaded high with caribou. Now that would be a sight to see. Or loaded to the gills with material to build a cabin. Or drums of fuel to stock hunting camp with. Or even with a big ole spring boar laid out across the top.

Default post a picture

Can you post a picture of it ? I can't help you out but would like to see it hauling your firewood.

Post Delivery

I'll be looking for grizz up by Cantwell on Monday, you going deliver that baby to front door or what??

Default Is that all you want B&C?

You mean you don't want me to load it for you too? And maybe drag it over hill and dale so you can focus on hunting? And set up camp? And cook? Sure buddy, no problem. But I ain't turning down your bed for you.
    Yeah, I need to get some photos up. Call me lazy and old. Got to get my daughter to help her decrepit old man.
    If I post I'll do it on the UHMW Sled Thread in Snowmachining. I'll be sure to tell you folks when it is there.
    In case I don't, go to Northern Sled Works and the one Dave builds is essentially what I have. With mine you have to have a flat tab hitch on your machine. Dave has a couple other options, but I keep it more simple.

Default So what your saying...

Is we are drawin' the line at "drawin the bed down" for me huh?? If a throw in a hot meal maybe???

Default Pictures posted on my info page

I am no good at all this tech stuff. Finally figured out how to get a few photos onto an album in my info page. Sorry you have to go there, but it is the best I can do for now.
    I might try to add a few photos later to that or to the original thread in the snowmachining forum which is the place they should be.

Mods, feel free to move photos of the sled to that location if possible. Or you can try to teach me how.

Anyway, the sled is available if anybody needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I am no good at all this tech stuff. Finally figured out how to get a few photos onto an album in my info page. Sorry you have to go there, but it is the best I can do for now.
    I might try to add a few photos later to that or to the original thread in the snowmachining forum which is the place they should be.

Mods, feel free to move photos of the sled to that location if possible. Or you can try to teach me how.

Anyway, the sled is available if anybody needs it.

This sled is a great one...I hope someone jumps on it to help out. My meager attempt didn't pan out but maybe in the future. The trip that I saw it in use it worked as well as any of the ones the RiverRat has posted on the snowmachine forum. Come on guys..step up to the plate and beat the donkey slobber out of it for him!!!