Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Nikon Scopes

  1. #1

    Default Nikon Scopes

    I have always purchased Leupold's for my rifles. Lately I have heard a lot of very positive comments about Nikon being a great deal for the money. So, I stopped by the gun shop and took a look at a couple Nikon's with the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) reticle. I have to say that the clarity was very good. The BDC was a small set of circles similar to the mil-dot but hollow. I am not sure how well they would stand out against the black or brown hide of a bruin but they were a lot larger than the Leupold's. The price seemed somewhat low for the perceived quality of the scope. I am the old guy who believes you get what you pay for so I am just a little hesitant on purchasing one of these scopes, throwing it on my 300 Weatherby and have the thing fail or fall apart on a hunt. Has one had any experience with the Nikon's?

    Specifically I am looking at the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 for my Weatherby. I want something that gathers a pile of light, can go low for close shots (2.5 power) or higher for much longer shots. The BDC is appealing although the jury is out on how well it will work in the field. My concern is that my 300 kicks like an ol' pissed off mule. I don't want the scope to sound like a baby rattle after a box or two of rounds going through the rifle.

    I know they are relatively in expensive but I don't want it failing at the very moment I really need it or on day 3 of a 7 day hunt.

    So, any opinions after all that?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,802

    Default

    I have a Nikon Buckmaster,3x9x40.

    It's on a 7mm Mag. I like if fine. It's served me well, and it's expensive enough, as far as I'm concerned.

    In other words, I don't consider it to be a Cheap and therefore, Unreliable scope.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  3. #3
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    I personally own that exact scope dvarmit, and I can say I really like it....I have it on my ruger m77 hawkeye .300 win mag. excellent set up and Im glad i bought it....I also like the fact that its waterproof and fogproof. So far what my opinion is worth, id say buy it.....after I got mine and told my dad how much i liked it, i sent the 3x9x40 leopold vari x 2 my ex got me to him, and he traded it in for store credit (brand new in the box) and got the same nikon as me.....he loves it.



    Release Lake Trout

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I personally own that exact scope dvarmit, and I can say I really like it....I have it on my ruger m77 hawkeye .300 win mag. excellent set up and Im glad i bought it....I also like the fact that its waterproof and fogproof. So far what my opinion is worth, id say buy it.....after I got mine and told my dad how much i liked it, i sent the 3x9x40 leopold vari x 2 my ex got me to him, and he traded it in for store credit (brand new in the box) and got the same nikon as me.....he loves it.
    Glad to hear that! I forgot about the water and fog proof.. I was actually stunned at how clear they were.

    Anyone else?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I have a Nikon Buckmaster,3x9x40.

    It's on a 7mm Mag. I like if fine. It's served me well, and it's expensive enough, as far as I'm concerned.

    In other words, I don't consider it to be a Cheap and therefore, Unreliable scope.

    Smitty of the North
    Never said it was cheap Smitty. I did say that I was surprised at the price considering it appears to be a quality scope. But we all know appearances can be deceiving which is why I asked. The fact that they are manufactured in the Philippines compared to the US probably explains how they can sell them at around 1/2 the cost of Leupold's.

  6. #6
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    I have had lots of experience with Nikon scopes. I have 4 Monarch UCC 3x9x40 on calibers ranging from 6.5x55 to 7 Mag and a 3.5x10x50 on a 300 Win. I love them! I load my own and have worked up some very hot loads for the 7 & 300 which have had no ill affect on any of the scopes. They are as clear and bright if not more so, as the one Vari X III on my 375 H&H (it came with the rifle or it would wear a Nikon too). They all have flip up lens caps and are cleaned before they go in the safe but they are not babied in the field lots of rough landings, bounced around in the boat, knocked over in camp type stuff. They have been handled like any tool would be but still taken care of and I have never had any problems/failures with them.

    The one thing I will say is the 3.5x10x50 is a little heaver than I would like. I notice the difference when I am hunting in the high country because the rifle is just heavy enough to get my attention.

    Just my nickel hope it helps

    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope
    Posts
    967

    Default

    I have owned several Nikon scopes over the years. They are a good deal for the money. The BDC is a tad ancient for the technology that is out there today.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    181

    Default

    +1 for the Nikon. I have several leupolds, but I will not buy anything but Nikons from now on. I have a 2.5-10x42 on my 264 wm. I absolutly love it. IMHO the best scope for the money hands down!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    Never said it was cheap Smitty. I did say that I was surprised at the price considering it appears to be a quality scope. But we all know appearances can be deceiving which is why I asked. The fact that they are manufactured in the Philippines compared to the US probably explains how they can sell them at around 1/2 the cost of Leupold's.
    OK, I misunderstood. You did say......

    "The price seemed somewhat low for the perceived quality of the scope. I am the old guy who believes you get what you pay for so I am just a little hesitant on purchasing one of these scopes, throwing it on my 300 Weatherby and have the thing fail or fall apart on a hunt."

    Some people are unwilling to buy a moderately priced scope for fear that it won't be up to par.

    I'm no expert on scopes, and I probably should have kept quiet.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  10. #10
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ...after I got mine and told my dad how much i liked it, i sent the 3x9x40 leopold vari x 2 my ex got me to him, and he traded it in for store credit (brand new in the box) and got the same nikon as me.....he loves it.
    H&FAK, I gotta say that part of the story actually brought a small tear to my eye.

    Good for your Dad, Bro! Seriously. I have a similar story.
    And CHEERS to the Original Poster for shooting the .300Weatherby cartridge. Glad to hear there's still a few out there.

    I'm glad to hear good Nikon feedback, as I'm looking at a smaller one also (for the AR) and was wondering the same things about durability and toughness.

  11. #11
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    The one thing I will say is the 3.5x10x50 is a little heaver than I would like. I notice the difference when I am hunting in the high country because the rifle is just heavy enough to get my attention.
    But you gotta love the Low Light capability of that big-front 50!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    20

    Default Love the Nikon Monarch

    I have (and still) owned 3 Nikon scopes over the years, and I personally wouldn't buy anything else. Unless of course I could afford those $1400 Swarovskis!

    I have put them through the paces in all kinds of terrain and weather and have never had any issues or concerns.

    The oldest of the trio I have on my trusty Rem 760 .270 and I haven't had to touch it since I put it on the rifle.

    My $.02

    Jake

  13. #13
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    But, if you HAVE to spend money...this one's marked down $40. And, FREE UPS.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/schmidt-...flescopes.html

  14. #14

    Default A Bit off Original Question, But the new Redfields Look Good To Me

    A couple of guys at Birchwood had the new Redfield scopes on their rifles out at Birchwood Range the other day, and they let me look through them. They bought the ballistic reticles in theirs, and those scopes looked very good to me--the glass seemed to be real good quality, and I liked the reticle. They told me they were priced around $220, which surprised me. I own some Swarovskis and Zeiss scopes, so I am pretty spoiled, and I wouldn't hesitate to put one of these new Redfields on my rifles. Made in the U.S. by Leupold, and complete with the great factory service from them. Something tells me they won't stay this inexpensive for long.
    Jim

  15. #15
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default Too much weight

    AZguide No I dont think it is worth the extra weight especially up high. With the late daylight here I have never had the need for the extra light gathering if I cant see a clear shot Ill belly up in place until first light and finish the job then.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OK, I misunderstood. You did say......

    "The price seemed somewhat low for the perceived quality of the scope. I am the old guy who believes you get what you pay for so I am just a little hesitant on purchasing one of these scopes, throwing it on my 300 Weatherby and have the thing fail or fall apart on a hunt."

    Some people are unwilling to buy a moderately priced scope for fear that it won't be up to par.

    I'm no expert on scopes, and I probably should have kept quiet.

    Smitty of the North
    No worries, after I re-read my post I can see why you thought that way. Trust me, if I can get something cheaper that is of equal value and quality I'll be the first one in line.. As long as it is functional and sturdy..

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    The BDC is a tad ancient for the technology that is out there today.
    Interesting, I never had the need for any scope that had BDC technology so all I know about scopes with the BDC type technology is that Nikon has the circles which are much easier for me to see than the small "tick lines" in the Leupold's and I think Bushnell's.

    What other/newer technology are you referring to?

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    And CHEERS to the Original Poster for shooting the .300 Weatherby cartridge. Glad to hear there's still a few out there.
    I am glad you posted that.. I have read and stayed out of a lot of threads here when they were about calibers. The 300 weatherby generally hits harder that the 338 Win Mag although this chart only compares the 180 grain 300 to the 225-250 grain 338.

    While I do not like the beating the 300 gives you I do like the caliber a lot. I have a box of 220 Nosler Partitions loaded heavy for Brownies and I hope to get a chance to see how they work this year. I don't have the ballistic's on the 220 grain 300's I had loaded but I bet that they out perform the 338 by a couple hundred pounds of energy. The 300 Weatherby is a great all around caliber. It has more than enough energy and shoots flat enough to take anything this state has to offer up!

    I often wanted to start a thread about why this caliber is never or rarely mentioned on this forum. Seems like the 338 and 375's are the home town favorites once you get past the ol' favorite 06'

    Anyways, thanks for mentioning my favorite caliber.. Now, back to scopes!

  19. #19

    Default monarch scopes

    Had a monarch UCC 3-9x40 out at dusk and compared an older Leupold VX-II 3-9.
    I could make out details noticbly better with the Leupold even though in daylight the Nikon seemed to be brighter.
    I still like the Nikon's and think they are a great scope for the money.
    Still have a Leupold on the Kimber mnt. rifle though. Just picked up a fixed 4x Monarch for the Whelen. Would probably stick to a Lupy for a DG rifle.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    Had a monarch UCC 3-9x40 out at dusk and compared an older Leupold VX-II 3-9.
    I could make out details noticbly better with the Leupold even though in daylight the Nikon seemed to be brighter.
    I still like the Nikon's and think they are a great scope for the money.
    Still have a Leupold on the Kimber mnt. rifle though. Just picked up a fixed 4x Monarch for the Whelen. Would probably stick to a Lupy for a DG rifle.
    Were you comparing say a 50mm Leupold to a 50mm Nikon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •