Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything relatively snow-free for hiking around now?

Default Anything relatively snow-free for hiking around now?

Anything relatively near the Anchortown area that is mostly snow clear? I'm dying to get in a hike that doesn't require snow pants/parka.

Maybe the Butte in Palmer? Haven't been out that way in awhile.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Most years our first snow-free hike is Rainbow south of Anchorage. There will still be some snow in the woods, but once you break onto the ridge it is usually free of snow quite early. I haven't been down that way lately, though, so I don't know the status this year.

How long of a hike are you looking for?

I've been hiking flat top quite a bit, and even though it is far from snow free, the snow is so well packed you don't need snow pants, and on a clear day it is nice and sunny. Now that the snow has gotten a bit softer you'll likely need to pick a day with a good overnight freeze and head out early.

I climbed by Beluga point last week and there was still some snow and ice on the descent. But turnagain trails that are out of the shade should be snow free pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Most years our first snow-free hike is Rainbow south of Anchorage. There will still be some snow in the woods, but once you break onto the ridge it is usually free of snow quite early. I haven't been down that way lately, though, so I don't know the status this year.
    OP, If you're going to wait for the snow the melt, you're going to miss out out on a lot of hiking! :-)

They were getting nice and clear, here is rainbow about 3 weeks ago..

And here is Bird Ridge last week....60 mph sustained, snow, and 10 degrees...love it!

I'm certainly not waiting for the snow to melt, I've done Flattop multiple times already this season. I get this insatiable urge to sled down from the summit of Flattop, so I figured I'd try and find somewhere that doesn't end up with me soaked/needing snow pants.

Anyone been out to the Butte? I'm going to either head that way or possible towards Rainbow this weekend.

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

if you head out to the valley i would definitely recommend lazy mtn. instead of the butte. more enjoyable hike, better view, out of the wind, etc. good hardpacked foot trail.

I work near the butte, it is nearly free of snow but not a very exciting hike IMO.

Turnagain Arm trail beginning just past potter is almost always good. can go to mchugh, rainbow, then all the way to windy point from there, and there are enough trees to hide from the wind.

Default Snow-free

April 2nd...McHugh Creek trail is snow-free for the bottom 45 to 60 minutes of uphill hiking. But as the trail wraps around the corner and heads back into the valley it is still winter.

Dennis

wolfwatching

Default Hiking by foot

If you’re in Anchorage try Power Line Pass through Indian Valley lol stay clear of McHugh cause the chance of meeting the “sasquatch” are pretty good this time of year. Between the dark valleys of McHugh and Bird Pass you gota kinda roll w/ the mysteries you know ;-).
    Cambell creek canyon is awesome and a hike (compact trail) anytime of year..Otherwise kick on your snow shoes and go anywhere you feel like..

wolfwatching

later in the year Crow Pass through eagle river valley (after avalanche season) is spectacular.. or take the gas line trail to hidden lakes and take the “ramp” to Ship Lake – just be careful if you end up in the basin of Arctic Valley i.e. ship drainage because it gets real boggy.

Default Wolverine Peak

My father is in town from IL, he has hiked alot of the hillside trails over the years with me and we were hoping to try out Wolverine Peak, or at least part of it, from Prospect Heights in the next few days. Anybody been in that area recently? We've done winter and spring hikes along Powerline, Flattop and just about anywhere you can get from Glen Alps TH. Don't mind some snow, just don't want to post hole the whole way.
    Thanks. Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    My father is in town from IL, he has hiked alot of the hillside trails over the years with me and we were hoping to try out Wolverine Peak, or at least part of it, from Prospect Heights in the next few days. Anybody been in that area recently? We've done winter and spring hikes along Powerline, Flattop and just about anywhere you can get from Glen Alps TH. Don't mind some snow, just don't want to post hole the whole way.
    Thanks. Ryan.

I did it about a month ago and the trail was firm. I don't think postholing will be a problem since you are on that wind blown ridge for a lot of it. I skied the middlefork trail yesterday and the snow was firm underneath the new stuff. Have fun it's a great hike. If you want a peak with less snow try Mchugh peak it didn't have much last weekend.

McHugh is bare except a couple gullies, might be a little post holing on Wolverine just as you leave tree line for the ridge, not much though.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    McHugh is bare except a couple gullies, might be a little post holing on Wolverine just as you leave tree line for the ridge, not much though.
    Huh?????

Didn't it get like a foot o snow on Wednesday??????

Default Thanks

We headed to Wolverine on FRI, stopped short of the peak to turn around as the wind was wearing us out. Trail was very firm and well used. The Wolverine Bowl Loop was in good shape too.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by AKDAVEY View Post
    OP, If you're going to wait for the snow the melt, you're going to miss out out on a lot of hiking! :-)

They were getting nice and clear, here is rainbow about 3 weeks ago..

And here is Bird Ridge last week....60 mph sustained, snow, and 10 degrees...love it!
    Great pictures! Wish I had someone in Haines to hike with. Moved into town a year ago and can't seem to find anyone.

Default Mchugh Peak

Climbed Mchugh Peak yesterday. Trail is clear of snow and the hike is nice. Got to see a few Dall sheep.

Thumbs up Bird Ridge...

Bird Ridge trail is clear and open for the first hour (+-?) of uphill hiking...

dennis

My wife and I did Twin peaks out Eklutna yesterday. Nearly all the snow is gone. We continued to the top by going off trail once we reached the park bench up about half way in order to stay on the south facing slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    My wife and I did Twin peaks out Eklutna yesterday. Nearly all the snow is gone. We continued to the top by going off trail once we reached the park bench up about half way in order to stay on the south facing slopes.
    Can I get directions to this? New to the area.

Head towards Wasilla on the glenn. Exit at Thunderbird falls and follow the signs to Eklutna. The exit is about 10 mi past eagle river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast