Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wolves are at the Door......

Default The Wolves are at the Door......

Soooooooooooooo, I saw posting of what "Fair Chase" was about.
    I had some serious self reflecting to due over the way I make a living. Held to those standards, Id have to stop working hard and get a job.
    Where and when did "Fair Chase" ethics come into vouge? I first heard about it about 3 yaers ago, and I see it as weird sorta "Noble" approach to getting the animal Dead.
    I'm not knocking anyone who holds themselfs to such standards, good luckand all,, but for sure I probly violate just about every standard Ive read, some time or way, as Ive found in some postings.

For those I offend, please send lots and lots $$ and I will stop..........maby........~~LOL!!~~

The evolution of Hunting and the ethics that go with the changes are interesting to me.
    For example, The animals and the land, from Cavemen to Whalers, to Hunters of old, that made a living from hunting/fishing/gathering/, the way Kings managed "Their" game and lands, how indiginous people from Mayans who collapsed their ecosystems to Mongol Nomads , who survived with their ecosystem untill Communisim trashed the locals and their cyclic habits, and lately and interestingly enough, the overtaking of the South and West United States with Lease hunting and such in the last 20 years......

Am I a Rebel by defacto?

Looks like were headed into the true Capitalist way of game mangment, and the *******s are at the door step.

Do we need a predator control program for humans or is this world doomed to slow loss of habitate for anything but Soilent Green?

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If this were facebook, I'd hit the "like" button and leave it at that. I agree, but don't feel like I have the energy or desire to get involved in this conversation.

Fair chase is what makes hunting a "sport". Hunting for a living or subsistance is not fair chase nor a sport but so what. Doesn't make either one right or wrong. Most areas in the US only allow sport hunting to prevent total elemination of all wildlife. Subsistance hunting is still allowed in parts of Ak. but I think those days are numbered as well because of increased population and easier methods of taking game. Hope I'm wrong. I think I was born 50 years to late.

I dont believe in "sport hunting", its all about the moose steaks in mid january! If im lucky enough to get one the previous fall that is.....my family ( though we dont talk so much,mom, grandma, and my brother really appreciate that I fill the freezer) is thankful and yea they take full advantage of it since thats the only place i have to store my game meat every year. I never hunted for trophy antlers, and I never want to. Every animal I take is a trophy to me, but the meat I bring home is the greatest trophy of all!

Release Lake Trout

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Fair Chase are the rules you play by if you want to get an animal entered into the books like B&C, SCI and P&Y.

Default Neither Fair nor Chase

I am not interested in giving anything I hunt a fair chance. I have a 375 crew-served man- portable arm cannon, and the critters do not. Not interested in chasing animals around, just ambushing them. The closer to the plane, truck, boat, atv the better. Ideally I would like to call them right up to the back door of the butcher shop.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    Fair Chase are the rules you play by if you want to get an animal entered into the books like B&C, SCI and P&Y.
    Are you sure about this?

Last I heard, the SCI recognized animals and hunters for their antics, even in pens and fenced in habitats, long as you sent in the qualifier/$.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fair chase and hunting to live are two very different things. If you can use bait even though its legal how fair is it. I have no problem with it and did it. Sixty years ago I would think flying to a mountain top and takeing a sheep was a smart way to get meat of a different kind. Now days if allowed the sheep would be gone in short order.

Default pointless

pointless thread, it will just turn into a name calling match, nobody will learn anything new then Brian will shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    pointless thread, it will just turn into a name calling match, nobody will learn anything new then Brian will shut it down.
    I would guess a best gun for bear or Alaska would have more of a point?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I disagree. It is worthwhile to consider why we do what we do. We usually do a pretty good job of having such discussions on here without calling each other names.

With regards to fair chase ethics, I think the basic idea is wrapped up in having some level of respect for your quarry. If you haven't read "Beyond Fair Chase", it's worth adding to your reading list. At the very least it is a good thing to reflect on our practices from time to time.

Pointless?

Shuks....

I find comfort and Like attitudes here in this forum, but has anyone here see whats going on down south, hunting wize and how that additude has come up this way like Bird Flu?
    Capitalist Hunting Corp. would have you carry way too much unnessarry gear and you aint "cool" and most certainly not gonna be successfull if you aint got it. If thats not enough, your a murderous scoundrel if you break their hunting commandments.
    I read alotta other hunting forums, and I get way too much email that brings me to this conclusion.

Guess I feel the worlds closing in with different people who have different rules than those that I grew up with, and in my view are a bit overbering with their train of thought, like those guys who knock at your door holding Bibles. Like different religons with the same book, but all have a different approach.

God Bless them, but Im not interested.

Figured I ask those you know, and that be YOU fellas.

Thanks for your responses,

OK, Brian, lock the thread.......~~~LOL!!!~~~

Default told ya

see stranger has already started," Capitalist hunting" .....

~~LOL!!~~

Not to be confused the "game laws" from Mao Se Tung's Little Red Book......'But', I hear theres no closed season on Running Dog Capitalist Pigs..........yet.......

Do you not see the same changes in Canada, Yukon?
    I'm feeling kinda sure that as a guide that you actually hunt with Geard down guys with Southern attitudes to Hunting. I imagine when you sell a hunt, you have to put up with alot, now and then.
    Im not at all bashing them, just getting concernd that their view will soon materialize into laws and such that will make us all pay (more than the 25$ license) to hunt, obide by what they see fit, and with a hell of a lot more folks hunting and smaller and smaller parcels to hunt on.

Cabellas has an Army.

Default worst

the worst slob hunters i have seen are residents.....go to any village dump right about now..... makes me sick when i see all the "needed" meat that has been dumped.... dont worry stranger ABHA will save your ways.

I dont know any ABHA, though I have listend to ABBA now and then, Yukon, but my dump is meat free.

Its things like the waste you describe that Im interested in.
    would that have happend 50 years ago?

Is it a lack of dog power to dispose of the extra or a change in mindset?

Rest assured Stranger, no one is going to make you buy their gear or carry it afield. So I think you are safe there.

The biggest difference between AK and the lower 48, even more so than population is the amount of public land. It's mostly privately owned down there and AK is not. Hunting on public land, especially in non-draw states is marginal at best. The leasing really hasn't changed much for most people. Before it got popular, it was just as hard, if not harder to get land to hunt on if you didn't own your own. If you were lucky, and were good friends with a landowner, or had connections you could get it otherwise good luck.

No doubt the world population is skyrocketing at an alarming rate, it kicks in the whole supply & demand issues big time. What's the lesser of two evils? Not promote hunting and have no one standing in your corner when the ban laws come up for review or promote hunting and have more people afield but also on your side?

As far as pushing ones hunting views on another, I totally agree with you. I find it ironic when someone critisizes another for their methods of hunting when they have almost certainly eaten their fair share of a species of animal who was raised from birth with the sole purpose of getting a bolt to the back of the head to end up on a dinner table. Food is food.

Flipside though, that said person will critisize the other person for setting personal standards and holding out for an older, more mature animal not realizing it's the difficulty of the hunt that the hunter is after, not just the horns.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Lost by Choice said;

"not realizing it's the difficulty of the hunt that the hunter is after, not just the horns."
    Excellent!, That is a GREAT example of another "why" we hunt, the 'experiance' factor.

Now theres a mindset Im interested in.

Weve gotten beyond just food, bloodlust, proof of "manhod" and money.
    I do realize that alotta what brings us together is the experiance we all have and look forward to and share here.
    Sometimes, things are best had by throwing $$ at, and for a guy with little time, hiring a Guide is the usuall choice to get the most of an Alaskan experiance.
    Some choose to make the experiance a lifestyle or a form of livelyhood, be they Guide or Subsistance hunter or weekend enthusiast.
    Getting there is 1/2 the experiance, and Alaska is rich with that, but what if the tourist became more important than the local?

Theres many a fellow down south that pays a lease to hunt on, but the disturbing part is that the costs to hunt on such is rising to the guy with more $$. Many cant hunt where they grew up hunting simply because of the highest bidder factor, and as Lost By Choice noted, a lack of public lands.

Prehaps we are insulated a bit more up this way, as a last Frontier, and the big$$ factor is under control. Im rather worried that our Parks and Refuges, public lands and waters will be "highest bidders Permit only" soon, as in my lifetime, and hunting only a rich mans game.....

Prehaps thats why nobody could make me buy their gear...I couldnt afford it anyway ~~LOL!!~~

Im rather worried that our Parks and Refuges, public lands and waters will be "highest bidders Permit only" soon, as in my lifetime, and hunting only a rich mans game

Where is that happening at? I hope you don't think that is what is going on in the lower 48.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Its not happening now, but with a brokass Gov, and all these threads about getting permits and drawings, I was thinking that the Gov might just hook into the higher bid system that Lease's down South have taken to, especcially with a place like Alaska.
    How much would you bid for a Big Bruiser of a Bighorn, if $$ was not an issue? Or lease a range of mountains to have as a hunting reserve for your Japanese clientell?
    Looks like Oil deveopment follows those line as well, and look who stands to profit.

Way more profit in such. A real Capitalistic approch to Hunting and game managemant.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast