Thread: 338 vs. 375 recoil

Default 338 vs. 375 recoil

lots of folks have said they prefer 375 h&h recoil to 338 WM recoil, even though all the numbers (including recoil velocity) say the 375 should kick harder.
    Well, my question is about the dakota cartridges- I'm trying to decide between the 330 and the 375- in 330 I'd be using the 225 gr. TSX @ 3000; or in 375 I'd be using the 270 gr. TSX @ 2900. Which would be more comfortable to shoot? Now I know that the numbers say the 375 will come back harder and faster, but the numbers also say that about the H&H in relation to the 338, and that isn't most people's experience. Is it the same w/the Dakotas? Would the 330 somehow be more uncomfortable?

My 375HH model 70 seems to kick less painfully than my 300 win mag. A sort of 12 gauge like push instead of a fast slap. It may all be perception...
    or constipation....something like that....

Default Dakotas don't kick!

I have shot both the 330 and 375 Dakotas in identical M76 rifles and I cannot tell the difference at the shoulder. A 330 in the lighter M97 rifle seems to hit me slightly harder than the M76. They are very comfortable with 338/250's or 375/300's. The stock design of these rifles is much better for reducing recoil than any other I've used.

To clarify and perhaps validate this I mean the 330 Dak. with 250 grains at about 2850 fps and the 375 Dak. with 300 grains at 2650 fps. The guns are within ounces of each other in weight and to my uncalibrated shoulder there is no difference. Also my 8.5 # 404 Dak. (400 grains at 2450 fps) has a lot less recoil than a m70 in 375 H&H with 300 grains.

Sometimes life just gets easy. :-)
    Last edited by Murphy; 01-11-2007 at 19:24. Reason: Adding information folks just don't want to miss!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I did 15 shots in a row this spring with a .375. I wouldn't have been able to do it with a .338. The jolt just seems to be sharper to me.
    Now what ?

Default 338 vs. 375

The 375 H&H to me is like a long push. I have shot the 300 win,300 wby,338 win and all have been a harsh slap. The 375 is almost pleasant to shoot. I box of shells in any position but sitting at a bench, is fun. Good Luck.

Ron

I thought the 375 recoil was mild because the cartridge has a gentle taper and essentially no shoulder.

Default No shoulders the snake...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I thought the 375 recoil was mild because the cartridge has a gentle taper and essentially no shoulder.
    Mr. Pid,

Does the shape of the case come into the recoil equation too?

Check out the comments on the "Recoil is Easy" Post. Maybe you're on to another factor.

You may be right. I do know the H&H is a very easy shooter compared to the damage it can do down range.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

I'm no expert but that's what I've been told by guys who know more than me. They tell me that the prevalence of a steep shoulder will sharpen recoil. Weatherby cartridges are an example. A wide, steep shoulder will produce a sharp recoil. I understood them to mean that the total recoil isn't necessarily greater, just the sharpness of it, as opposed to the "push" that a 375 H&H produces. I know a 375 Weatherby jolts more than a 375 H&H. Their theory doesn't take into account that the Weatherby rounds may have more powder or faster powder, or maybe it does. Like I said, I'm no expert.

The thought that a .338 Win Mag has more recoil than a .375 H&H perplexes me. The .338 WM is a necked down version of the .458 WM. The .458 WM is a shortened and necked up version of the .375 H&H. How can a case that is shortened and then necked down to shoot lighter bullets have greater recoil? It just seems logical to me that if you make the case smaller it will hold less powder and because you are shooting lighter bullets it does not need to generate as much force so it should have less recoil.

Default 338 vs. 375 recoil

I've never owned a .338 but I've shot a few....I've owned five different .375 H&H's, Remington M700 Safari Grade, Wayne Young custom with Shilen barrel and Brown Precision stock (less than 7 lbs), a Ruger #1 Tropical, a Sako and currently have a Remington Custom Shop .375 that I had parkerized, barrel cut to 20" and a KDF installed and I can say that every .338 I've fired were less pleasant to shoot than any of my .375's...might be case shoulder angle, stock design/fit, gun weight....I don't know, but I'd rather shoot the .375 over the .338 any day. And I've never been disappointed with the downrange results including a 52" bull at over 325 yds. (measured), one shot, 285 gr. Speer Grand Slam, now weighs 260 grains and was under the hide on the far side shoulder...if I can find it, I'll take a photo and post it. Moose took two steps and went down. You probably can't go wrong with either caliber, but a .375 is tough to beat!

Default .375 bullet

Here's the bullet...sorry, no pics of the moose...ate him a long time ago.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1168586257
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default if a lady can shoot a 375 HH

i have met a female up here that shoots the 375 HH. she loves it. everyone i know who has or has shot a 375 HH has all said the same thing. it is a push instead of a slap. i have not shot one but shot my dads 338. it kicked liked crazy compared to my 300 win mag. but we both have new hogue stocks with the aluminum bed, $199 in cabelas. very nice. my dad loves his gun. but to me a lady carrying a 375 must not be too bad. she was not a really big boned lady or anything either. so dude go with your gut. get want you want. do the research like you are doing. find a way to shoot both and find out for yourself. goodluck.

Talking Solution!

GoNorth - You see the writing on the wall dontcha??

If you're unsure between the 2 Dakota calibers - the only thing to do is BUY ONE OF EACH, shoot them a lot, and see what you like better..

And if you shoot them with a PAST Super Mag Plus recoil pad, neither one will feel too bad!

Good luck,

Michael

The average .375 H&H rifle is much heavier than a similarly designed .338WM rifle. The .375 H&H produces more recoil than the .338WM, but its additional weight helps with recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    The thought that a .338 Win Mag has more recoil than a .375 H&H perplexes me. The .338 WM is a necked down version of the .458 WM. The .458 WM is a shortened and necked up version of the .375 H&H. How can a case that is shortened and then necked down to shoot lighter bullets have greater recoil? It just seems logical to me that if you make the case smaller it will hold less powder and because you are shooting lighter bullets it does not need to generate as much force so it should have less recoil.
    You are on the right track, of course.

Supporting Member

Thumbs up 330 recoil

My favorite hunting rifle is my 330Dak (M97Dak barreled action, 24" barrel, stocked by Brown Precision).

When I first shot it, I thought its recoil was savage - off the bench - It didn't batter my shoulder - the trigger guard wacked my index finger on my trigger hand....I'm not recoil shy but after the first shot, my mind centered on anticipating the pain in that finger....After several different attempts at a solution, I found and installed a small rubber device on the rear of the trigger guard...voila...problem solved...Without that, the choice was quit shooting my new toy, or develope a serious flinch....

Rifle weighs 8#2oz w/ leupold 1.5 - 5 in detachable Talleys w/o sling or ammo. Load was 225 xlc Barnes @ 3015fps...I thought the muzzle jump was excessive...magna-porting took care of that, no decernible effect on recoil.

Without the scope, but with Tally receiver sight, the recoil is substantial due to the approx 1# less weight.... Anyway, the recoil is no big deal...so hold it tight and shoot it a lot....

Default 375hh

I just bought a new remington XCR in 375 H&H and at 7.5 lbs let me tell you that I notice when I pull the trigger. The recoil is pretty stout in such a light gun but on the other hand I was shooting with open sights and no scope on it yet. As compared to my 338 win mag (ruger m77 laminate) the 375 does kick harder but there is less wheight.