Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Spinner sizes

Default Salmon Spinner sizes

Hi Folks,

I am making my first Alaska fishing trip in July and am gradually putting together the kit I shall need. This will include Vibrax Spinners, but as I have never done any spinning I need help on spinner size terminology.

I have looked onnthe Internet and reference is made to Vibrax Spinners - Sizes 1, 2, 3 & 4 --- what are they?

Also I see on some descriptions things like "198 x 162 - 13K " ..... what does this mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

"Cor blimey, Limey"
    England

Put simply, you will need size 4 vibrax's for silver salmon, and size 6 vibrax's for the kings. This is the primary size to species combination that the locals use up here.

Don't forget you Kodiak Custom Tackle!
    http://www.kodiakcustom.com/

Size required depends on what you are fishing for and normally sizes 4-6 for salmon and steelhead and don't forget to try the silicone skirt spinners. http://www.kodiakcustom.com/index.ph...d=68&Itemid=64

Thanks for the info. I understand that the main species at the time I am in Alaska, and the area I shall fish, will be Pinks and Chums. What sizes would you suggest for these? - the same as the Silvers?

what part of the state will you be fishing and when?? silvers, reds, and kings are the best eating and the funnest to catch, though chums can be decent fair if caught before they have turned in to funky colors......I prefer to use size 4s and 5s and 6s for kings,chums and silvers.....they have all worked well for me. for pinks, size 2,3,4 will work just fine....heres a tip, just get all sizes from 2-6 and you should be fine! and be sure to bring "plenty" of lures. seriously, nothing worse than running out of gear when the bite is hot!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    what part of the state will you be fishing and when?? silvers, reds, and kings are the best eating and the funnest to catch, though chums can be decent fair if caught before they have turned in to funky colors......I prefer to use size 4s and 5s and 6s for kings,chums and silvers.....they have all worked well for me. for pinks, size 2,3,4 will work just fine....heres a tip, just get all sizes from 2-6 and you should be fine! and be sure to bring "plenty" of lures. seriously, nothing worse than running out of gear when the bite is hot!
    Size 2's have the potential to bend out on a decent size silver, greatly increasing the chances of experiencing "the one that got away". The same goes for size 4's on any king over 35 lbs. 3's can be used for silvers at a minimum, but I'd stick with 4's. Any silver that is afraid to take down a size 4 vibrax is certainly too small for my liking anyways.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is colors. Here's my preference:

1. Bright pink or orange body for cloudy/overcast days.
    2. Dark blue or green body for bright/mostly sunny days.

And of course, silver flash on all the combinations. Good luck!

I like your color choices Larsenvega, but don't forget about chartreus, a color that at times will just plain and simple knock em dead.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I like your color choices Larsenvega, but don't forget about chartreus, a color that at times will just plain and simple knock em dead.
    Ah, yes, good 'ol chartreus. That is another great addition to the mix for fishing on overcast days.

Since I mainly fish kings on the matsu rivers or Silvers/Kings in the ocean, I only buy #6 and carry Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Silver and Pink. I've tried the colored blades but not much luck so I mainly use the silver blades. If I could only have two colors it would be blue and orange. I also squirt herring oil in the bell or rub herring butter on the blades as long as bait is allowed. In the rivers I always add split shot about 18" up from the lure and adjust how much with current strength if I am casting and reeling or jet diver if back bouncing to stay as close to the bottom as possible.

Thanks for all the information about colours and sizes. If I explain that I am 77 years old and never done any spinning in my life you will see where I am comong from when I say I know nothing and some of the information I have received is a bit of a foreign language to me. So bear with me, guys, if I sound a bit stupid! What I would like to know is "Does the size of a spinning lure relate to ..... it's length? ...... it's weight? .... or the thickness of the wire used in it's manufacture?

The other thing I would I would like to ask is - "If I am advised to bring lots of lures of various colours and sizes, what would be a sensible total number to bring?" Bearing in mind that they seem expensive to buy and if I have to buy "lots" then they become very expensive to buy!! My problem is that I may never use them again.

When I come over on 25 July I shall be based for 4 days at Deshka Landing with a guide, so I shall be using his gear, but for the next 4 days I shall be based at Sheep Creek where I shall be fishing on my own. So my fishing for these 4 days will centre around Sheep Creek and Montana Creek. Knowing where I shall be fishing is it possible to reduce the number of colours and zero in on a couple of suggested sizes?

If anyone can recommend a tackle shop near to the Sheep Creek area which I could use to replace the lures which I shall lose during fishing, then maybe I could "buy as I go" !!!

Finally! ...."Thank Heavens!!", I hear you all cry !! - what's the best beer to drink in Alaska? !!

Thanks in anticipation - hoping that you can keep it down to words of one syllable for this Old-timer in England!!

Quote Originally Posted by ericditchfield View Post
    What I would like to know is "Does the size of a spinning lure relate to ..... it's length? ...... it's weight? .... or the thickness of the wire used in it's manufacture?
    the number refers to its overall size. (not being technical of coarse)

The other thing I would I would like to ask is - "If I am advised to bring lots of lures of various colours and sizes, what would be a sensible total number to bring?" Bearing in mind that they seem expensive to buy and if I have to buy "lots" then they become very expensive to buy!! My problem is that I may never use them again.
    You will lose PLENTLY more than likely you will not have many left over...
    IMO i would jsut buy #4 and #5, 3's are to small (you cant cast them near as far) and 6 is overkill. I would stock up mainly on blues, and reds (for pink and chum) and get a few bright colors such as Pink, green etc.

When I come over on 25 July I shall be based for 4 days at Deshka Landing with a guide, so I shall be using his gear, but for the next 4 days I shall be based at Sheep Creek where I shall be fishing on my own. So my fishing for these 4 days will centre around Sheep Creek and Montana Creek. Knowing where I shall be fishing is it possible to reduce the number of colours and zero in on a couple of suggested sizes?
    you can buy all your tackle at walmart, i bring around 10-12 spinners when i go fishing, though lots of times i do not lose them all but try to have about 10-12 in your tackle box everyday.
    also i have never fished montana creek for pinks or chum. I HIGHLY SUGGEST ECHO COVE for pinks. you will literally have a heart attack from all the fish you catch. for Chums i would go to Almalga harbor (there is a trail on the right side just before the harbor about 1/4mile) its a great place for chums. and a decent spot for pinks.

Finally! ...."Thank Heavens!!", I hear you all cry !! - what's the best beer to drink in Alaska? !!
    Alaskan Brewing company, Amber is my favorite it's a A++ beer, also try the Alaskan White, its a great beer IMO.

Ah-ha! Right in my nieghborhood of expertise! 25 of july you are mainly going to find pinks and chums in great numbers in Sheep and Montana creeks, but Ive seen silvers in good numbers there by august 1st! If anything, the resident fish (trout, grayling, dollies, whitefish) should be top notch! be sure to bring a fly rod and flies with you if you can, or at least an ultralight pack rod just for the trout and grayling. From sheep creek, there is a tackle shop called Camp Caswell close by. Id advise buying say, at least 20-25 lures for your 4 days....

Sheep Creek, though beautiful is still a pretty wild area and is bear country....There are good populations of both black and grizzly bears in this area and some have been known to be aggressive. The weather during that time of year can vary from beautiful 85F degree days to violent week long thunder and rain storms, both sometimes causing Sheep Creek to flash flood or swift ,extreme changes in water conditions as it is affected way upstream from snowmelt or distant rainfall. Will you be camping on the riverbank? or staying in the lodge or cabins at Sheep Creek Lodge? If camping on the bank, pick your spot wisely.

Oh yea and about the beer.....Im a big fan of the Alaskan Brewed varieties. IPA is great after a long day of fishing.

and for the skeptics: Ive caught countless 12+ lb silvers on #2 and 3 vibrax with no problem. He doesnt have to worry about hookin into any kings at that time of year there

Sizes 0-6 (on Vibrax) indicate the hook size and overall size of the lure.
    Look up BlueFox.com for more info on vibrax spinners and pixee spoons. It should tell you everything you want to know.

Release Lake Trout

All the spinner size and color comments I will second. But as far as beer goes, if you like craft beers there are quite a few craft breweries in Alaska and the beer that is produced by them is superior to Alaska Brewing beers IMHO.

Most stores carry Midnight Sun Brewing Company beers (I am not affiliated with them and just stating my opinion) and they have many different varieties for different tastes. If you're in Anchorage try Moose's Tooth (some of the best pizza in the world) for their own line of beers, and Glacier Brewhouse downtown. Moose's Tooth's Fairweather IPA is one of the best IPA's you'll ever taste if you like IPA's.

If you make it down to Soldotna there's St. Elias Brewing company and then down this way in Homer there's Homer Brewing Company. These places don't bottle, but you can buy growlers and it's available in most local restaurants.

And don't worry if you miss your favorite "lower-48" brew. All the bigger liquor stores carry a wide variety of beers, so if you miss your favorite, it's probably available somewhere close by. My favorite IPA is Stone, followed closely by Lagunitas, if you're interested in my tastes.

wait, are you going to Susitna or Juneau, because their is a Montana Creek and a Sheep Creek in both areas?

Quote Originally Posted by ericditchfield View Post
    Deshka Landing is off the parks highway in Willow. Sheep Creek is 15 minutes north of that, and Montana Creek is 15 minutes north of Sheep Creek

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    wait, are you going to Susitna or Juneau, because their is a Montana Creek and a Sheep Creek in both areas?
    As I am not going to Juneau, I guess I am going to Susitna!

quote"

"...where I am coming from when I say I know nothing and some of the information I have received is a bit of a foreign language to me. So bear with me, guys, if I sound a bit stupid!....

"Finally! ...."Thank Heavens!!", I hear you all cry !!"

Eric,

Stupid would be not even being aware of the questions, much less the answers. You've asked some very good ones which will help out other folks such as myself who are first timers also.

So maybe it should be a case of, "Thank Heavens, another question from Eric" , and the ensuing load of generous advise from those who reply.

- Jay

All the suggestions offered are good and sound. Excellent advise all of it. If I were you, I would also invest in some good reading material to go along with the info you already received.

Two books come to mind that I recommend to anyone who is unfamiliar with the fish and fishing conditions up here. Fishing Alaska on a Budget makes for a good introduction to getting ready to come up here, written by an outsider with a practical point of view. The other, The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide has become my personal favorite. Its an easy read and goes through a lot of the things you are asking about in terms of lure brands, size and colors.

Abu Garcia: that's funny. Never thought of there being streams with identical names down there. Love to see that part of the state!

Default $$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Since I mainly fish kings on the matsu rivers or Silvers/Kings in the ocean, I only buy #6 and carry Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Silver and Pink. I've tried the colored blades but not much luck so I mainly use the silver blades. If I could only have two colors it would be blue and orange.
    Agreed with this portion of your comment, I have found size 6 is the perfect fit for me. Both Kings and Silvers in the Su tribs. I have never had to add any scent to a lure, and I have never added any split shot either.

Just want to add, its not all about size or make, its more about how you work the lure. Low and slow, casting at an upstream angle, letting it sink, move with the current, covering lots of the water column, Low and slow. I really believe any in-line spinning lure will work, depends on how you use it.

Sunshine Creek is a great spot to practice and see how the technique you use works, right Big Cox?

Lots of advice on this one as you have read. Have fun and good luck.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Agreed with this portion of your comment, I have found size 6 is the perfect fit for me. Both Kings and Silvers in the Su tribs. I have never had to add any scent to a lure, and I have never added any split shot either.

Just want to add, its not all about size or make, its more about how you work the lure. Low and slow, casting at an upstream angle, letting it sink, move with the current, covering lots of the water column, Low and slow. I really believe any in-line spinning lure will work, depends on how you use it.

Sunshine Creek is a great spot to practice and see how the technique you use works, right Big Cox?

Lots of advice on this one as you have read. Have fun and good luck.

Main reason I use the split shot is do get down and stay down while reeling slowly. I change up my speed, but to me staying deep for kings works best. As far as the scent or butter, give it a shot sometime. You man be surprized, especially in the ocean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast