Thread: 30-06 Range Report

Default 30-06 Range Report

When I was a kid my Uncle was always talking about how he hated 30-06s. I can't really remember why, but that always stuck in my head and I have never owned one because of it.
    Recently I had the chance to purchase a Winchester model 70 in 30-06. The previous owner provided me with a 150g Nosler Accubond load, so I wanted to work up some longer range stuff. Had some 168g TSX BT Matchgrade and some Hornaday 150g Interbonds. Did not take me long to see why the venerable 30-06 is so popular. She was very easy to please and showed good results with very little effort. The shape of this cartridge ensures smooth and reliable, feeding and extracting. Shame on me for not trying this great cartridge sooner.

Hornaday Interbond powder workup.

The results, after shots one and two I made scope adjustments, then fired 3,4,5.

150g Accubond load.

With the Barnes 168g bt, I tried 3 different powder combos. The powder test shots showed me that Reloader 19 would work best. Below is the test shots.

The H-4350 looks good also and would most likely shoot good as well, the R-19 just looked better.

These are the group shots using R-19.

Steve

Excellent info. I just ordered a .30-06 barrel for my encore and I happen to have some RL-19 around too....
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Ahh Old reliable strikes again. The 06 is a great cartridge and very capable, as it has proven for over 100yrs now. As you found out they are usually easy to load for as well. It is also a great case in different calibers as well, I have 25, 26, and 35 caliber versions as well as Old BloodnGuts, my trusty sporterized 1903 in the plain old 30-06.

Looks like you've got some great loads worked up there, but be careful, you may find your other rifles gathering dust after you hunt with the 06 for a while.

Default the ol 06!

I have to chime in here. My buddy and I have been working up loads for our hunting rifles the last few weeks. I shoot a Tikka in 300 wsm and he's been shooting his 338-06 custom job. We have some promising loads with good accuracy, but here's the funny part. Last Sunday, I brought the old model 70 in 30-06 with a 20" barrel to the range. My intent was to zero it at 100 yds with some 220 grain core-lokts. It will be a back up gun for my buddy to carry on my upcoming kodiak BB hunt. Anyway, I had some 80's vintage factory 220 gr Core-Lokts and don't you suppose that sucker shot a 3 shot group of .75 inches at 100 yards! Right in the bullseye! We both got a good laugh - here my old spare rifle with 80's vintage factory core-lokts was shooting as well as our fancy dang rifles with handloads!