Thread: Kachemak steamers

Default Kachemak steamers

Would like to try some camping and clamming and a little fishing out of homer this year. Is it hard to get on the steamers across the bay? What do you look for before you start digging?

Charterboat Operator

the clams squirting, is always the best way to tell if they are there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Would like to try some camping and clamming and a little fishing out of homer this year. Is it hard to get on the steamers across the bay? What do you look for before you start digging?
    Across the bay, there are tons of clams in China Poot. Pick a minus 2 or better and you shouldn't have a program. You won't be there alone....

the clams in china poot are for the most part butters.
    steamer clamming has been quite a disappointment here lately. many of the areas where i used to be able to get nearly a bucketful on a decent tide have yielded under a gallon lately. we have had a couple of winters where it froze
    REALLY hard on some minus tides, and i think it killed lots of clams. with adult clams at low numbers recruitment has been very slight. there is also a species of small clam that is becoming much more common, and is taking up he niche small steamers would be recruited into.
    still plenty of butters to be had (they are deeper then steamers, and less affected by freezing), but with the huge onslaught of folks digging china poot every minus tide they will likely go the way of the dodo too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Great report Homerdave. I did mean butter clams. Have you dug down in Bear Cove lately? I have not been there in years. Last time I was there, you could fill a bucket pretty easy.