Thread: Impeller / Sleeve ?

Default Impeller / Sleeve ?

Does anyone know the correct / suggested gap between the impeller and sleeve on a 200 opti, or whom I could contact to find out?

Thank you

Call Compeaus in Fairbanks, 479-2271

I had an 115 Evenrude and if I recall correctly it's specs were a "piece of paper". I found that on outboard jets website. I am not sure who made the one on your merc. Obviously the less space you have the better the performance is going to be.

Default Gap

Ice still isn't out up here J. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the clearance is .016". We'll try to make it down there this summer...get the kids together...drink a beer or two on the riverbank!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    Does anyone know the correct / suggested gap between the impeller and sleeve on a 200 opti, or whom I could contact to find out?

Thank you
    I've always used the rule that the gap "shouldn't be any wider than the lead in a no# 2 pencil". It's worked pretty good so far. Of course as close as possible without touching works too...

Skinnyriver,
    How ya been and hopfully well. I've now gotten myself unpickeld since the over the top trip so a few beers on the river bank now sound pretty good and lets make it happen, also say hello to the family!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyriver View Post
    Ice still isn't out up here J. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the clearance is .016". We'll try to make it down there this summer...get the kids together...drink a beer or two on the riverbank!

I don't think it has to do with the motor, I think it is a 16th of an inch on all jet unit's. This is where you will get the best preformance from your motor.

I hav'nt run anything over 115, so if somebody has other info on a bigger motor, then you might want to listen to them.

I've found that the further that you get away from the 1/16 the more power you lose, and the more gas you burn.

If you are in a place where you suck up rock's, Then it is wise to keep an edge on the impeller.

If you talking about Outboard jets Outboard jets calls for .030. I use .015. Closer is better but not too close as the impeller pulls down when running and takes the clearance out of the bearings. The impeller is closer to the liner when running than when it's not running. If you set the clearance to tight your impeller will drag and cause undo wear. Glen

Default Dittos Glen

Always heard then read that the aluminum impellers should run .030-.032, and the stainless version should be run at half that. Confirmed with some veteran mechanics as well locally here in Fairbanks, and my own experience has proven that .015-.016 works well for either as long as everything is running true. Rocks gettin' jammed in there are never any problem.... as long as you stay out of them. never happened to me...Oz

Default Service guide

I found this article on doing your annual services. It is very informative with great pictures and instructions. It says the gap should be between 0.038 and 0.058.

http://www.natimi.com/TechArticle/SJ...erviceV1.1.pdf
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Default Impeller Socket

I forgot to ask. Has anyone gotten an impeller socket made? I hear they cost about $75 and I have a pretty tough time paying that for a socket I'm going to use once a year.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    I forgot to ask. Has anyone gotten an impeller socket made? I hear they cost about $75 and I have a pretty tough time paying that for a socket I'm going to use once a year.
    I hear ya man. I went ahead and forked out the change last year, I think it was like $80. If you lived closer I'd let ya borrow mine. For that matter, anyone who lives in the Anchorage area is more than welcome to borrow mine if needed.

$80 in Anchorage this past Saturday at Marita. Thanks for the great link fishin_ak, I was just on the phone talking about this very issue this evening.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Socket in Fairbanks

I have one you can borrow, shoot me a PM if you still need it.