Thread: Garmin Rino: Legal? Any reviews?

Default Garmin Rino: Legal? Any reviews?

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin Rino Series? I was considering purhasing a set of 120's for my wife and I to use. She is typically in camp (read not a hunter) and I am hunting. We thought it might be a good tool for general GPS use but also for the safety aspect.

I know that using radios for game locating is illegal however is just possession of such a tool during a hunt illegal? More than anything we want tools to be able to locate eachother in an emergency.

Garmin sells a two pack with the topo and metro cd's and some other accessories for $600. Seems like a good deal.

Thanks,
    MT3006

I doubt a device that increases your safety, and decreases (probably) calls for search and rescue, would be illegal to posses.
    I can see hot shot wardens quizzing you to no end about how your using the device tho.

As long as its not used in taking of game you can carry them. I carry radios alot while hunting just for safety reasons.

The position sending feature is pretty cool, its a lot easier than giving directions or coordinates over the radio. Just dont use it for the stalking or killing of game.

Default Rino

I have heard the radio portion doesn't work very well??? I was thinking of getting a pair for hunting with my son. Any pro's or con's from the users?

I have a pair of the Garmin 530's and they work great, they have a good internal GPS sysyem and they also have the ability to tell me where the other guy is at whenever we communicate back and forth. The 530's have incredible radio strength based upon how rough the terrain is. Only downfought I have with them is the joystick control button, it will tend to get kind of stuck in one position, doesn't happen a lot but frustrating when it does. Would I buy another set.....most definately.
    Dave

Default RE: GPS/Radio

My experience is the radio doesn't do well over a mile away... Depends on terrain of course. Sounds like the more expensive models do better... Make sure you get one you can download maps on to. The base maps are crap and you will end up wanting to download better maps eventually...
    Overall, love GPS and I find that I actually explore more with one, checking out a new lake here or a new ridge there... and marking my best sites.

Default Have one

I have a RHino 120 and like it alot. It is easy to use and reliable. I have never had a problem with the radio, but then again I have only used it for traveling.

Default Rhino map

"Make sure you get one you can download maps on to. The base maps are crap and you will end up wanting to download better maps eventually..."

I have the Rhino 120 as well and am very pleased with them. I bought the 110 first and was disappointed with not being able to download any maps.

Rooster AK:
    I have tried to download maps from Delorme onto the Rhino without success. Does anyone have any tricks to loading topo maps that aren't Garmin? The Garmin Topo's are not very impressive and I really like the Delorme topo maps as they more detailed. John

If I'm not mistaken the Delorme topo is for making maps only. Therefore not downloadable into any GPS device.

Quote Originally Posted by AKdutch View Post
    "Make sure you get one you can download maps on to. The base maps are crap and you will end up wanting to download better maps eventually..."

I have the Rhino 120 as well and am very pleased with them. I bought the 110 first and was disappointed with not being able to download any maps.

Rooster AK:
    I have tried to download maps from Delorme onto the Rhino without success. Does anyone have any tricks to loading topo maps that aren't Garmin? The Garmin Topo's are not very impressive and I really like the Delorme topo maps as they more detailed. John
    I have a Garmin 530 as well and last year I looked into dl maps onto it and there is actually a way to dl google earth maps to it. It is a 3rd party progy that allows it. Im not the best person to describe it becasue it was awhile ago and unfortunatley I have lost the website for it.
    Id try to pull it up through the google earth fourms on a fourm search. I belive thats how I found it the first time.

If your able to find it let us know.
    Russ
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"