Thread: Clamming in PWS

Default Clamming in PWS

I have never been out of PWSso this year I plan to change that and I have a question. So I hear of people hunting deer, and bear and fishing Halibut, rock fish, ling cod, and shrimp, but I never have never herd anyone talk of getting any clams out of PWS. Is there any there? If there is any clams there a where will be nice but I understand secrecy so a simple yes or no answer will do just fine Thanks

The good steamer beaches I knew of got oiled (well except one). I still see clams spurting there but I can't bring myself to eat em. The north side of Crafton Island has some good clam beaches. I would get familar w/ the beaches that had oil and try to stay away for those areas

what type of clams are they? I grew up eating quahog's. I have heard about clamming on PWS and will be doing it this summer once I get there.

The good steamer beaches I knew of got oiled (well except one). I still see clams spurting there but I can't bring myself to eat em. The north side of Crafton Island has some good clam beaches. I would get familar w/ the beaches that had oil and try to stay away for those areas
    I agree with fullbush. Get a map charting the shorelines that got oiled. I worked the spill for 60 days running a boat and it wasn't a pretty site. I do recall as a kid commercial fishing we stop once to dig buckets of butter type clams but have no idea where that was...somewhere in PWS between Cordova and Valdez. Cordova used to be known for supplying IVARS in Seattle with clams, back in the 50s. Razors. Heard in 64' earthquake many clams took a "dive". Not sure what is available now. Betchya could find some razors south of Cordova.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    what type of clams are they? I grew up eating quahog's. I have heard about clamming on PWS and will be doing it this summer once I get there.
    steamers and cockles are what we called em. there are razors over off gravina in Cordova. the sea otters conducted a mass holocaust and the tree huggers awarded them w/ diplomatic immunity to contiue murdering razors and dungys up and down the coast

Lots of mussels in the Sound. I'm not sure how long-lived they are and whether oil would affect them this long after the spill.

Here's a map and looks to be a pretty good slide show of the spill. http://www.evostc.state.ak.us/facts/spillmap.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I agree with fullbush. Get a map charting the shorelines that got oiled. I worked the spill for 60 days running a boat and it wasn't a pretty site. I do recall as a kid commercial fishing we stop once to dig buckets of butter type clams but have no idea where that was...somewhere in PWS between Cordova and Valdez. Cordova used to be known for supplying IVARS in Seattle with clams, back in the 50s. Razors. Heard in 64' earthquake many clams took a "dive". Not sure what is available now. Betchya could find some razors south of Cordova.

Any concerns about PSP?

Yes, PWS is not monitored.
    BK

Here's a press release from yesterday stating they will start a pilot PSP test program.

http://dec.alaska.gov/Commish/press_...ot_Program.pdf

Good article on PSP

http://dec.alaska.gov/eh/docs/rs/Par...hPoisoning.pdf

You will be more fruitful to go over towards Homer/Clam Gulch and do some razor diggin there. Steamers are to be had out of homer also (but I haven't done it).

We dug some near the cabin on Green Island this summer. Not sure what kind they were - we ate em and survived. They weren't razors.

Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a sudden
    and potentially fatal illness contracted by eating
    clams or mussels that have concentrated a toxin
    present in plankton.
    None of the beaches in Prince William Sound
    are tested for PSP. Cases of PSP have been rare
    in Alaska, but users consume all shellfish at their
    own risk.

Further, if you read the response if symptoms occur [in links I provided below] it's important to be able to seek medical attention within 2 hours... I expect to be two hours from port so I'll be taking this into consideration and likely will not partake until I'm home. Call me over-protective but my time on the water is too important for the risk. I did get some phone numbers [currently misplaced] and these folk [biologists I think] are supposed to know the numbers of reported cases in Alaska and where the episode occured. I'll do my best to locate those numbers, call the POCs and report back soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
    Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a sudden
    and potentially fatal illness contracted by eating
    clams or mussels that have concentrated a toxin
    present in plankton.
    None of the beaches in Prince William Sound
    are tested for PSP. Cases of PSP have been rare
    in Alaska, but users consume all shellfish at their
    own risk.

Found the POC numbers and now waiting on call backs since both researchers were out of the office.
    I did some more research and found the following link to much more current data than the '94 infrormation [only 1 case in PWS ~ Monte clams] listed in the previous link I posted.

http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulle...Poisoning+(PSP)

http://www.apiai.com/psp.asp

One researcher called me back and provided this link.
    There are reports at the bottom of the page.