Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Season Out of Whittier

Default Shrimp Season Out of Whittier

Kinda new to shrimping so a few questions:

I know it begins April 15th......but how is EARLY shrimping out of Whittier compared to a bit later on?

Shrimping depths, bait, and places the same as shrimping later on in the season? I have been told that they are deeper ...more than 600 feet, like different baits, and are farther out of Whittier?????

Any information yet on if F & G are increasing boat limit to 8 pots?

Thanks much and any help and info will be greatly appreciated!

R

Default Regs on number of pots etc.....

I just looked at the Regs on F&G site and it is STILL 5 pots per person and 5 pots per vessel. So I guess I answered my own question as of now.

Default Tons of info out there

So far as the 8 pot question, here is a link to the Emergency Order authorizing the increase: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...rimp%20_2_.pdf

I have not noticed any change in bait preference by the time of year/season. So far as depth goes, steep and deep is almost always the way to go.

There are a bunch of shrimping threads out there. If you use the search tab near the top of the page, you will find ample reading on the topic.

Here is the link : http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=76484
    If you do a search there has been a lot written on the subject of shrimping. Steep and deep has been the ticket from my experience. I like to start at 450' and run my string deeper. It helps alleviate unwanted by catch. My spots for the "spots" are successful throughout the season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Just 2 threads down for your anwser

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=76484&page=3

It appears that Boater and I think a like.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default But

Quote Originally Posted by akfishonguy View Post
    I just looked at the Regs on F&G site and it is STILL 5 pots per person and 5 pots per vessel. So I guess I answered my own question as of now.
    But it also states that the rules could change per the March meeting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Need to feed on some spots and stripes

Hey I have a question about shrimping. My family is very big. I mean in number of people, eight of us, and the size of people, my nine year old daughter the smallest and is pushing 200 lbs. Shrimp are small and we love to eat them. Hear goes the question. Could me and my wife both get a shrimp permit and go out in our 24 foot boat and pull this COSTCO rubber boat that has a small 4 horse outboard on it and fish both permits with 16 pots? We would register the small boat and haul eight pots out to the fishing grounds in the dingy and eight in the big boat. We would then fish all 16 pots. I would keep eight pots and the shrimp from half the sets, in the dingy, at all times. The other eight pots and shrimp I would keep in the big boat. I guess I could even tow my wife back to the harbor in the dingy to make it completely legal. What do you guys think? Will I get a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by salmon cruncher View Post
    Hey I have a question about shrimping. My family is very big. I mean in number of people, eight of us, and the size of people, my nine year old daughter the smallest and is pushing 200 lbs. Shrimp are small and we love to eat them. Hear goes the question. Could me and my wife both get a shrimp permit and go out in our 24 foot boat and pull this COSTCO rubber boat that has a small 4 horse outboard on it and fish both permits with 16 pots? We would register the small boat and haul eight pots out to the fishing grounds in the dingy and eight in the big boat. We would then fish all 16 pots. I would keep eight pots and the shrimp from half the sets, in the dingy, at all times. The other eight pots and shrimp I would keep in the big boat. I guess I could even tow my wife back to the harbor in the dingy to make it completely legal. What do you guys think? Will I get a ticket?
    Are you for real? Sounds like you guys must have conquered Golden Corral and are now preparing to feast on PWS, eh? I hope you're prepared to pull 8 of those pots with the rubber raft, because if you pull all 16 from the same boat, you're going to get a nasty ticket from ADFG.

P.S. If I told my wife to ride back to Whittier in the dinghy, she'd probably harpoon or gaff me.

Were you drinking when you came up with this plan? Doesn't sound like fun at all.... sounds more like work to me. Maybe you should consinder becoming a commercial shrimper. 16 pots!! That's actaully really funny to me.

Default whew

Sounds like fish and game might need to issue you folks a special permit to limit your take or there won't be any left for the rest of us........LOL.

Default Could be fun!

You have to pull the pots from the vessel that registered the pots. It would be very interesting seeing 8 - 2' x 2' post in a rubber raft with all the rope and bouy.

I'm thinkin' someone is having fun with us on this one . . . If the youngest is 9 yo and pushing 200# , I'm thinkin' that they're going to need a rubber boat the size of the ones on the side of the cruise boats to fit two people and pots in . . .

Might want to stick with the shrimp at the Golden Corral as suggested by the poster a few back . . .

Oh, and as Dave and others have mentioned - have your checkbook out for fish and game if you want to try the 8 pot thingy - I'm pretty sure they don't have to pay for their lawyers, so don't mind directing work to them.

Default Pots and Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You have to pull the pots from the vessel that registered the pots.

This is an interesting point. I asked a trooper at the Sportsman's Show last year if it would be okay to pull pots belonging to another boat as long as the person that owns the pots is on the boat. He said it would under the situation we discribed.

Here's my situation. We have 2 groups in 2 boats that camp and fish together. Each boat throws out their pots at the beginning of the weekend then collects them on Sunday on the way back to the ramp. However, during the weekend we were thinking why not just use 1 boat to service the pots? Both pot owners would be on the servicing boat with their individual permits.

Using one boat saves gas and there really isn't much else to do in April so the time issue isn't a big deal for us.

The more I think about it, I can really see how this might depend entirely on the mood of the trooper on the water that day.

Default Nope

The pots must be registered to the boat pulling the pots. We have had this situation arise before when a persons boat breaks down. Our LEO, who is the one that will be checking in PWS, usually says, fine, just let me know when the boat gets fixed or you can pull them out until the boat is fixed.

You may register 4 pots in your name and 4 in someone elses. But the boat number has to be on the bouy and the phone. I remember seeing 2-3 Trooper reports last year for pulling pots that were not registered to the boat on the bouy.

Call Officer Beck in Valdez for a clarification. He will answer you.

Default use duct tape

So just put the number of the new boat on Duct Tape - that's what they told me to do when I was renting a boat.

Default Close

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    But the boat number has to be on the bouy and the phone. .
    Boat registration number or name but the phone number is suggested but not required.

Each keg or buoy must have the name of the fisher (first initial, last name), the address, the shrimp permit number (for North Gulf Coast), and the name or AK number of the boat used to fish the pots.

In the regs, it says "It is illegal to disturb, tamper with, or pull another anglerís pots without prior permission of the potís owner." So what does this say about being in one boat and pulling another angler's pots, even with their permission? Unless you're in that other angler's boat while pulling his pots for him, you're going to be in someone else's boat. Not really clear to me what's ok and what's not (other than you don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull that mask off the ol' Long Ranger and you don't mess around with someone else's pots...without their permission).

When I picked up my shrimp permit at F&G the other day, I specifically remember being told that I did not have to put my shrimp permit number on the buoy. I checked online in the regs but looks like they still have 2009 regs there.

I'm not concerned about pulling someone else's pots from my boat, figuring out ways to tow behind a dinghy and putting out extra 8 pots, etc. because I won't be doing any of that.
    However, I would strongly recommend anyone considering this to check directly with F&G beforehand. Best to send an e-mail and get one back that you can print off and keep if you're about to get ticketed and need to back up what F&G told you earlier. That's what I did when there was a question about whether or not you could fillet halibut on the boat or had to wait until you were back at the dock. By the way, the answer is that you can do it on the boat (with some restrictions).

I loan my pots and bouys every summer to a friend when I can't hit the water for whatever reason and I just write a letter giving him permission to use the pots. So it would seem that if you are pulling a buddys pots while he is in the boat it would be legal since you have his verbal permission. The stickler is that the regs state only X amount of pots per boat. I would definatly send a email to get defination of if you have two boats with registered pots but using the puller on one to do the work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast