Thread: Base for cannon downriggers

Default Base for cannon downriggers

I have a couple of manual downriggers and I bought swivelmatic bases for them. problem is the gunnel is too narrow, so I'll need to put something under the swivelmatics to raise them up enough. This way, they will hang into the boat about an inch instead of over the outside of the boat.

I am contemplating several ways to do this. What ever way I do it, I wand to cut the endges so water can drain under. I can just get a piece of wood and screw that in. This is the inexpensive way but not the most aesthetic. Option 2 is some kind of thick plastic, like the high density white cutting boards. Does anyone know where I can get that? Option 3 is a thick piece of aluminum. Where would I go to have that made?

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    I have a couple of manual downriggers and I bought swivelmatic bases for them. problem is the gunnel is too narrow, so I'll need to put something under the swivelmatics to raise them up enough. This way, they will hang into the boat about an inch instead of over the outside of the boat.

I am contemplating several ways to do this. What ever way I do it, I wand to cut the endges so water can drain under. I can just get a piece of wood and screw that in. This is the inexpensive way but not the most aesthetic. Option 2 is some kind of thick plastic, like the high density white cutting boards. Does anyone know where I can get that? Option 3 is a thick piece of aluminum. Where would I go to have that made?

Comments and thoughts are welcome.
    Not sure where you live but there is a shop dealing in just about any type of plastic on the road directly behind the Matsu Theater in wasilla. If its just a small think piece you might get it for a couple of bucks for scrap.

Lowes sells various pieces of aluminum. Anything from L-shapes to open blocks. I made a tranducer bracket for my Hewescraft from aluminum I bought at lowes.