Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Around / Do it All .338 WM Bullet?

Question All Around / Do it All .338 WM Bullet?

Searching for a do it all .338 WM bullet... By "do it all" I mean a good bullet for sheep, moose, caribou, goat, and moose. I understand that the purists would have a specific bullet for each use, but I like to keep things simple so looking for one that does it all, realizing I will lose a little performance in some areas along the way.

My research has lead me to consider a 225gr bullet for this choice...

So far my leading contender is the Barnes Tipped TSX Triple-Shock X..

Before I go dropping $40+ for a box to try out I was wondering if there were any contenders I should look at. Or if perhaps a 210gr or 250gr would be better??

Thanks!

231 Grain Lapua Naturalis Extended range. But before you drop $80+ a box on them, see how the Barnes shoot

Default my favorite

225 gn Remington A frames. They shoot the straightest out of my weatherby.

Don't waste money on the tip, 225 g barnes TSX has worked fantastic for me.

I would think that the 225-grain TSX is it. But some people stick to the 250-grain Partition loaded around 2660 fps.

250 grain partition bullet, you won't go wrong.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    250 grain partition bullet, you won't go wrong.
    Ditto that! I use the 220 partitions in my 300 Weatherby and have never had a problem.. Not one. The partition is solid and time proven.

The 225gr Accubond is a great bullet also. You should be able to get it up near 2900 with a 24" barrel, and have a .550BC bullet that would shoot flat for sheep and still do in about anything else needed. Plus, the Accubond is a little less expensive than the other premiums. Scotty

225 TSX - I have shot 200's 210's 225's & 250's - they all kill and they all shoot well in most 338 rifles

225 TSX will shoot as well as any of them and alot better than some

225 has not only a great B.C. but the S.D. is outstanding as well and they will travel fast enough that there will never be any question on terminal performance - 225 Accubonds have a better BC so long range performance "might" be better but IF I happen to meet a big bear and defend myself my choice without hesitation is the 225 TSX

Default every one

every bullet mentioned is a good one!

Default so many...

I shoot the old style 250 grain X Bullet and have 350 or so left. Been using them since they first came out. Any 225 or 250 grain Nosler Partition, X Bullet or Swift A Frame will be a good choice. Most of the .338 shooters I know use 225 grain bullets. I read to much Elmer Keith when I was growing up, besides, I still have a bunch of 250 grain bullets.

My all around bullet for my .330 Dakota is the 210 TSX. I chose this one over the 225 because of the boattail design for longer shots that I might take in the mountains on goats and sheep.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I shoot the old style 250 grain X Bullet and have 350 or so left. Been using them since they first came out. Any 225 or 250 grain Nosler Partition, X Bullet or Swift A Frame will be a good choice. Most of the .338 shooters I know use 225 grain bullets. I read to much Elmer Keith when I was growing up, besides, I still have a bunch of 250 grain bullets.
    A coworker of mine uses the same bullet. He has a few boxes left, so that should get him going for a few years. It's a very tough bullet, and puts moose down fast.

I have been using the 225-grain TSX with great success for the past three years. It kills fast, and most pass through moose. I have only recovered one so far.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I wondered if anyone would mention the 225 grain Nosler Partition, because that would very likely be my choice.

I don't know that a Premium bullet is needed at the velocity of such a load, but then, I don't know a lot of things.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I would think a 225 grain partition would be enough for anything on this continent. I have had some good experiences with this particular bullet, i shot a bull elk at the base of the tail, and had the bullet exit out the neck, at 20 yards, thats enough penetration to make me comfortable with grizzlys.

That being said, i will probably be using 250 grain accubonds, or 225 grain X bullets when i get up there.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster20 View Post
    I would think a 225 grain partition would be enough for anything on this continent. I have had some good experiences with this particular bullet, i shot a bull elk at the base of the tail, and had the bullet exit out the neck, at 20 yards, thats enough penetration to make me comfortable with grizzlys.

That being said, i will probably be using 250 grain accubonds, or 225 grain X bullets when i get up there.
    That's encouraging, I might try them. I need to get up a new load. Since, I had the barrel on my 338 cut off a little bit, my current loads aren't accurate anymore.

The 338 is not my primary hunting gun. It's more of a "Truck Gun".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default 225 tbbc

225 grain Speer (?) Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. The 225 gives great velocity (I clocked slightly over 3,000 fps with Federal High Energy loads) and is extremely well constructed.

Unfortunately, Federal stopped loading the High Energy ammo and I can't match their ballistics with any published recipe I can find. But I use 225g Hornady Interlocks for load development, practice and deer, and switch over to the TBBCs for moose/bear. Both shoot to nearly the same point of impact out of my Browning A-bolt.
    In God We Trust.

i'll have to second the 250 partition bullet. i have shot it for 20 years and it has worked great for me, everything keeps falling over. i did try the 225 grain at first but my gun really likes the 250. there are a lot of great bullets so any of the ones mentioned would be fine if your gun likes it.

Default I don't Know

I have shot 225 core-lokts out of my winchester and killed everything it hit head on going away or broadside, 225 and 250 partitions same scenario. With a 250 snuck up on a sleeping bull moose 58" on the yukon shot him and his back end flew off the ground and over his head they will definately kill and hit like a train. It is a great caliber and they all kill with it what does your gun like is the real question to be answered
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

225gr Hornady Interlock I also have a truck load of Kodiak bullets. I need to try out in my 338. For laod data I use 70.5gr H-4350 I'm getting 2750 avg with this load. But the Interlocks shoot good...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast