Thread: Out boards and dB levels?

Default Out boards and dB levels?

Hi all, since i'm learning that warranty issues are a problem if i buy certain OB's in the states and need to get it fixed in canada, it appears i am left with merc and evinrude!....or, buy the motors seperate in canada, and pay 30% more and get anyone i want???..anyway, my eye has caught the attention of the E-tec!!....what do you guys think of a twin 200 hp evnirude E tec on a 29' foot pilot house?.....first i thought, man, the noise level would be quite high dB wise, so i looked on the net and found these numbers?.....do you think they jive?

Powerboat Reports has published test results comparing six different 150-HP engines:

Four-Stroke
    Mercury Verado 150
    Suzuki DF150
    Yamaha F150
    Honda BF150
    Two-Stroke
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Evinrude E-TEC 150
    In terms of sound at idle speed of 1,000-RPM, the quietest motors:
    dB-SPL / Motor
    63.5 -- Suzuki
    64.0 -- Verado
    65.5 -- Yamaha
    66.5 -- Honda
    69.0 -- E-TEC
    72.0 -- Optimax
    However, pump the speed up to 1,500-RPM, a typical No-Wake speed, and the order changes to
    dB-SPL / Motor
    70.0 -- Yamaha
    70.5 -- Honda
    71.0 -- Verado
    71.5 -- Suzuki
    75.0 -- E-TEC
    79.0 -- Optimax
    Jump ahead to cruising speed, and the order changes again. This time we are going to look at boat speed, not engine speed. This helps the two-strokes because they won't be running the engine quite as fast. Now the results are:
    dB-SPL / Motor / MPH
    84.0 -- E-TEC -- 29-MPH
    84.0 -- Yamaha -- 27.9-MPH
    84.5 -- Honda -- 27.6-MPH
    87.0 -- Verado -- 27.8-MPH
    89.5 -- OptiMax -- 27.7-MPH
    90.5 -- Suzuki -- 30.3-MPH
    At wide open throttle, the ranking changes some more. Again we compare at boat speed not engine speed:
    dB-SPL / Motor / MPH
    92.5 -- Honda -- 42.9-MPH
    96.0 -- Verado --45.1-MPH
    97.5 -- E-TEC -- 48.8-MPH
    99.0 -- Suzuki -- 44.0-MPH
    101.8 -- OptiMax -- 45.0-MPH
    102.0 - Yamaha -- 45.3-MPH
    THE SPIN
    What surprises me in these results is the Verado. It had been unofficially crowned the ultra-quiet outboard. The 150-HP apparently does not live up to the big six-cylinder Verado reputation. It comes in at second, third, and fourth at these various speeds.
    The big shock for me was the first-place to the E-TEC at cruising speed. I give it the nod over the Honda because it is going faster. I wonder if that is a typo? If it is a mistake, it puts the Honda into overall first-place in sound level. That BF150 is one quiet motor. Of course, it is also the slowest motor--you can't have everything.
    Poor Yamaha--their F150 makes more racket than the OptiMax, an engine just about universally considered to be an old-fashioned noisy outboard. The F150 runs quietly until you pour the coal to it, I guess. Well, this is just a smidgen of the data presented by Powerboat Reports. Sound has become a big item in outboards. Folks want them to be quieter. The OptiMax did quite well in all the other categories. If this new OptiMax The Next Generation (OTNG) motor can quiet the sound level down, Mercury will have a potent motor to go against the four-strokes and E-TEC. Until then, if you want a quiet 150-HP outboard, get a ...well, you pick the winner!

ok, back to me now?....what do you think?...also, are there any e-tec owners out there?....thanks again larry

I had twin etec 200 motors on my boat and they were not significantly different from any of the other outboards that my buddys have. Between the Honda and Yamaha and Suzuki, the noise level is about the same. I think the etecs will hold it's own against the 4 strokes in noise.

I wouldn't make a choice based on the noise level as they are all pretty comparable. At idle and hull-speed, the noise is totally a non-factor. IN fact with all the ambient noise, you can't tell that they are running unless you listen for it in most cases. At cruise they are noisy but they all are noisy and usually you are in the cabin anyways for the most part.

thanks kaisersosei.....you say you "had" them, did you sell the boat, or change to a diffenrt set up?.....its funny i cant find anything realloy "bad" about the e-tec, and until 24 hours ago, i thought of all 2 srokes as the old noisy /stinky outboards!!..would love to hear any problems others have had or praise for that matter!.... thanks for your input! larry

On a 29' Pilothouse, 95% of the time, even on sunny days you are running with the door closed. I have a friend who had a 28' Koffler Pilothouse with twin 200 Yamaha HPDI (loud) but it was quiet with the door closed. I'd look at fuel econony as more important that noise. In a Pilothouse you aren't going to be needing ear muffs.

I have subscribed to Powerboat Reports for over 10 years and was upset when they sold out to Boating Magazine. Usually the opted for the Optimax every time because it was the least expensive to buy and got the best fuel economy and had the biggest dealer network.

But in AK I believe that dealership servicing is very important. My boat has a Yamaha F150 and it is real quiet I bought a new boat motor trailer as a package and didn't get to consider engine brands.

those crazy Canadians love their BRP products and the lodges there all have mercury stuff.

Bottom line... noise isn't an issue in a pilothouse. IF you choose the optimax or etec you will need to buy spendy 2 stroke and most folks I know with big twostrokes buy it by the barrel price it out.

Sobie2

My dad has a 150hp Yamaha and I have a 150 Honda. Both about the same age, 2006. He says his Yamaha is quieter. Its close enough though that I'd look at other things. The Honda definitely lacks power on the 150hp when compared to the Yamaha, although it does as good or better on gas. Reliability is pretty close on both motors.

We use 40hp motors out at our field site and we have Honda, Yamaha, and the Etec. I realize this isn't the range you're talking about but they're all about the same on noise. I would save a db here or there isn't a big deal. 10db, now that matters.

As for the Etecs, I really like them. They tend to be better on economy and according to the boat manufacturer I was talking with, they tend to be more powerful for getting out of the hole. I also don't notice that big a difference in noise. The Etecs I've been around are pretty darn quite. Interestingly, if you look at Wooldridge's website they have the performance data on a 26ft Pilothouse with both twin Yamaha's and Etecs. The Etecs perform better on fuel and run just nearly as fast as the Yamaha's. Both will get the boat on step with one engine...important note, the Etecs are 115s and the Yamahas are 150s.

Sobie2 is right, you have to by expensive 2 stroke oil with an Etec I figured it up when I was looking at a 26ft pilothouse with twin Etecs and it added around 10% to a gallon of gas at todays prices. That being said, there's much lower maintenance on 2 strokes. So the routine maintence is down but you probably end up pretty close to even when you factor in oil.

My zuk 4-stroke 140 is louder than my old yamaha fuel injected 150 2-stroke at all but idle even then they are close.
    Take a lot more room to get the boat up on step with the 140.
    Wish yami still made 2-strokes.

They do. What about the HPDI motors? I'm assuming this isn't what you're talking about but they do make a 2 stroker.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...e/14/home.aspx

Larry,

I "had" them because I sold all the boats and am down to one right now. The Etecs were twin 200's on my Stabi and it performed well considering that it is a heavy boat with a very deep vee. I was able to get on plane with just one motor (other out of the water) and get about 28 mph on the gps. This is a 30 foot, 10,000 pound boat with 22 degree vee. Fuel efficiency was about the same as what I would expect from the newer 4 strokes as was the noise. The 4 stroke oil is spendy but you are talking about 1 gal of oil per 100 gal of gas and I would estimate that it was even a little less. It does pay to be prepared though when I over-stayed my planned trip and was looking for Etec oil on the water. I found gas but no oil. You can use TCW3 oil in a pinch though. I just carried a jug of oil as spare from then on and no more problems. All in all with maintenance costs included, I think the cost of ownership is pretty close. Evinrude will tell you it is a lot less but I guess I haven't tracked it that close.

I for one would not hesitate to get Etecs in my next boat. In any case, as long as you don't under-power the Wooly, you will be a happy camper.

Just my 2 cents... Mark

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    . . Interestingly, if you look at Wooldridge's website they have the performance data on a 26ft Pilothouse with both twin Yamaha's and Etecs. .
    Thanks Pat, yep, it's interesting that i missed that point!!....of course, up to yesterday i didnt know what an e-tec was or who made it!!..well, since my motor options are limited it sounds like i have found a winner if i go with the twin 200 e-tec!....but, i dont hear the fat lady singing yet!!..thanks all for your help!...picking a motor is much easier than picking a boat!!.larry.

No problem at all. You can pay me back by taking me for a ride in that rig when you get it.

If you are looking at Wooldridge's Pilothouse then you are looking at a very nice rig. I've been drooling over those boats for quite awhile now. Put 200 Etecs on there and that thing will scream. Good luck in your search.

Default 250hp Etec

I've got a 250hp Etec on my 26 ft Kingfisher. As for noise, I run with the door open quite often (trolling and cruising), and conversation in the cabin isn't a problem at all. In fact, I was a bit surprised that it wasn't more of an issue that would make me close the door.

Hole shot is great, no maintenance to speak of, no oil changes, but you will have to buy the injection oil which is about $45/gal. I really love it, and I've had no problems at all. I'm waiting for an order to arrive so I can install a fuel flow meter and network directly to the engine, which is a nice feature of the Etecs. I'll feed the engine info to my Lowrance & the LMF-200. So, I can't give you any hard numbers yet on fuel economy.

Twin 200's on a 29' w/pilothouse......you won't have a power problem!