Thread: Newbee Reloader

Default Newbee Reloader

Well sort of I did some reloading about 15 yrs ago so I do have an idea of what I'm doing.

Anyway I new to reloading the .44Mag and so I'm looking for some advice.

I just ordered a Ruger Redhawk 4 inch .44mag and I just want to reload plinking rounds for it, nothing hot. I guess what I'm asking is what are some good light loads, good powders, good places to order hardcast bullets (I was thinking LaserCast)ect.

Thanks

Darn...lost my reply. Try again.

I mostly use Unique for light .44 loads. I've got to burn up a keg of 231 so will be working up some loads for it. Several powders work great.

I mostly order from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Midway is another good place. Watch for shipping cost (esp. for part orders from Midway!).

I cast my own for light loads and they are soft. You don't need very hard bullets for light loads. Don't use jacketed bullets for light loads!

Hodgdon has a great loading data site on the web. Has data for Hodgdon, IMR, and Win. powders. I really like the Lyman load book for lead bullets.

Have fun, be safe.

7.6gr of Unique 240gr SWC perfect for plinking and they shoot great.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Default Cant go wrong with Oregon Trail

The 240 gr LSWC from O.T is really hard and shoots well for me in a couple of different model 29's. You can get 500 of them shipped for less the 70 bucks. Find a good Unique load and you'll have a supply of plinkers that will last you a long time.

- JRT

Yup, get some .430 240gr swc's and load em over 8gr Unique with a good crimp, LP primer and go have some fun! 300gr over 21gr H110 with LPM primer is a pretty standard hunting load.

DISCLAIMER: Double check against published load data