Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Jet Powered Wooldridge Alaskan XL build thread

Default Sport Jet Powered Wooldridge Alaskan XL build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    To bring everyone up to date.

When considering building a 20' AK XL SJ, I looked at the information and videos that are out there and Toshiro Morgan's (tjm) name kept coming up. So, I contacted him and asked him if he would be involved in this SJ project.

He said yes, and is enthused. The test will probably be in August due to our current lead time.

Glen Wooldridge

Many of you folks have been following the thread about the Alaskan XL load hauling test for a while now. I am quite familiar with what the Sport Jetís can do. Seeing how well the XL performed with an outboard really got me thinking. Many guys (including myself) made the comment that Wooldridge should install a Sport Jet in the XL. Well, looks like thatís going to finally happen.

Iíve had the pleasure of talking with Glen Wooldridge about the boat for a few weeks now. Our early discussions were centered around how we thought the XL would perform with the Sport Jet. That has now evolved into Glen agreeing to build the boat. I've decided to purchase it and it looks like Iíll be taking delivery of the first Sport Jet Wooldridge Alaskan XL, sometime in August.

Iíll keep this thread updated for anyone whoís interested. Glen will provide pictures as the build comes along. When the boat is complete a load test will be performed. The data will be posted along with video. I will be there for the test running a video camera. Once I get the boat back to AK, Iíll probably resume making weekly boating videos. It is then youíll be able to see how the boat handles and performs ...

This is my first time dealing with Wooldridge. Iíve read it many times and Iím going to sound like a broken record here, but Wooldridge is a pleasure to deal with. Itís only been a few weeks or so now, but if the process continues as it has thus far, Wooldridge is going to have another happy customer.

I have high hopes for this boat, weíll see how it all pans out in 4 months or so....the wait is sure going to suck...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Right on And I'm sure everyone is ready for some new video's from you. take care Mike

That should be one nice boat cant wait for the videos to start coming.

Glen is a class act! I wonder what it would cost to get my old boat retrofitted....

What engine is going to be in it?

I'd imagine, more like hoping, that it turns out to be a great boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGR0WN View Post
    What engine is going to be in it?
    200 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Glen is a class act! I wonder what it would cost to get my old boat retrofitted....
    Check this out http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...642844161.html
    I remember this being for sale last year, and I seem to recall the guy paid well over $20K for the work
    Anyway, this is going to be a very cool project, that XL with the SJ will be a beast
    The question is; to UHMW the bottom or not?
    No Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

The question is; to UHMW the bottom or not?[/QUOTE]

I don't think tjm will run it in skinny enough water for that to be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I don't think tjm will run it in skinny enough water for that to be necessary.
    Pretty much a lake/ocean boat eh?
    No Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I've decided to purchase it and it looks like Iíll be taking delivery of the first Sport Jet Wooldridge Alaskan XL, sometime in August.
    Purchase? I thought Glen was giving it to you in trade for the promotional video's?

TJM will need to search the internet for horse tranquilizers to be able to wait till August!!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Its about time you got a new tub and started posting videos again! Not sure who is going to be having issues waiting till August all of us on here or you tjm?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Purchase? I thought Glen was giving it to you in trade for the promotional video's?
    wouldn't that be nice ... unfortunately for me, the only thing that is going to get that boat in my driveway is some good 'ol cash, but I have a feeling that it'll be money well spent...

I have a feeling that boat is going to do a fine job of selling itself...Wooldridge doesn't need a goofball making home videos to convince anyone....but, whether they want it or not, they're going to get a goofball showing off their boat.......

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    TJM will need to search the internet for horse tranquilizers to be able to wait till August!!!
    It's going to be rough, but it should be here just in time to pack a couple moose out and then off to chase rainbows until the rivers turn to slush....

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Not sure who is going to be having issues waiting till August all of us on here or you tjm?
    I have a feeling that it's going to be a bit harder on me....but if you're feeling sorry for me I'd happily let you take me fishing in your boat...lol
    pull my finger....

I am very interested in this boat Hmmm, maybe a fall downpayment will be in order.

Joe

whats the bottom width and thickness going to be on this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    whats the bottom width and thickness going to be on this boat?
    the bottom will be 1/8", but Glen will be beefing up the middle section to at least 1/4".... Glen realizes that even though his boats aren't 'rock bashers' stuff happens...

I think 1/4" will be plenty for all but the worst hits, I don't plan on any of those big hits but stuff happens...

here's how the bottom of my last boat looked with 1/4" down the center....looks pretty good, 200+ hours of pretty shallow running...

pull my finger....

Good news!...

Got word that they started building the boat today

Should start getting pictures within a couple weeks....
    pull my finger....

tjm did the bottom of your old boat come like that or is that something Gary added at Greatland?

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    tjm did the bottom of your old boat come like that or is that something Gary added at Greatland?
    it came like that but I'm sure Greatland Welding could add something like that pretty easily...
    pull my finger....

man these pic would have been nice 2 months ago I would have had that done to my boat when they put the new bottom on. Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Good news!...

Got word that they started building the boat today

Should start getting pictures within a couple weeks....

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast