Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Juneau Fishing 2010

Default Juneau Fishing 2010

Well it's that time of year again. I can't believe the annual Juneau fishing thread hasn't been started yet. I was just looking at some weir counts and the pink fry are backing out of the streams in full force. It looks like there's dollies following them too. Now we can say spring is here. Anybody been out yet?

im going out tomorrow, but not dolly fishing, but i do plan on going soon and tryin to land a steelhead. what streams do you reccomend for Stealhead and or dolly? i was thinking of going to peterson or montana creek.

Default They will work

Either one would probably work. I've never seen much for Steelhead in Montana. It's a little early for them around here. Dollies are going to be at the mouth of pretty much any stream right now waiting for the pink and chum fry to back out. Check the regs because some areas are close to dollies until June 1st.

Fished Auke Lake yesterday just to get out and try the new St. Croix 2wt. Still lots of ice and no fish.
    I was at Peterson a couple of days ago, and at the saltchuck were the creek flows in, there were a ton of 4" coho fry killing some kind of really small midges. Right as I was about to leave a BIG 18" cutt slammed one of the smolt right at the surface. I tried fishing a floating deer-hair smolt, but didn't see anything over 6" rise for the remaining 15 minutes of sunlight.
    Cant wait for the pink fry to really get moving!
    Last edited by ak char; 04-01-2010 at 17:34. Reason: Spelling

They're currently working on putting the weir in at Peterson Creek.

There's a slug of fry sitting at the south end of Tee Harbor. In between rain and wind storms you can see them dimpling the surface. The resident Kingfishers and heron are having a good time picking them off. I don't know if they are DIPAC chum fry or wild pink fry but it won't be long before the dollies show up to help work them over. The rocks down in front of Inspiration Pt by Tee Creek might be worth trying in the next couple of weeks. A small chrome Ajax always seems to work well in there. Good luck.

Default OneLung

OneLung, It's good to see you around. Seems like you didn't post much this winter. After I started this thread I realized that a lot of the usual Juneau guys have moved on from this forum, CanCan, SoggyMountain, and at the time I was thinking you too. We might not get the usual 10 or so pages out of a Juneau fishing thread this year. Spring is definately happening now, heard a bunch of hooters on monday. Hopefully tomorrow will bring in my first couple of dollies for the year.

Work keeps me pretty busy...What can I say? Also had a kid so I haven't gotten to go do the outdoors thing quite as much.

We got some plans for this year though....Still hashing them.

The Spring Steel trip to Yak got cancelled this year, but such is life.

We're looking forward to some action non the less..

Well I've been fishing for a month

I think I'm gonna go pump up the tube and break out the midge box right now
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Ak_power_monkey where were you fishing? if you don't mind me askin

a lake on the road system... thats all the info I'm giving out over the net poke around you'll find some spots

Monkey's pics motivated me enough to finally get out and do some real fishing, so I packed up and hit some local areas.

First stop: Mendenhall lake. Nothing but a bunch of sockeye smolt. Too much ice to do any fishing, might try again in a couple of weeks.

Second stop: Mendenhall river. Saw one fish come up, but didnt get any bites.

Third stop: Dredge lakes. Hit Dredge, Crystal, Moose, and the Holding pond. No ice on any of them, amazingly. I will let you decide which one these cutts came out of:

(Sorry for the crappy pics, I didnt take a real camera and had to use a phone)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Why just Juneau?

I feel a little left out...

My kid out fished me this morning. I guess all the training is paying off. He got a few good ones this morning. The biggest..

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Third stop: Dredge lakes. Hit Dredge, Crystal, Moose, and the Holding pond. No ice on any of them, amazingly. I will let you decide which one these cutts came out of:
    Crystal?? I thought there was nothing but sticklebacks in crystal, if you've actually caught something there please pm me, I'm doing some undergrad research on that lake and would like to know wether I should put traps in there or not... (Seriously)

Anyway nice fish, all I caught out that way yesterday were coho smolt... We need a hot day to get more bugs out, a few midges but not enough to interest the cutties

Thanks for the PM char, science will be interesting this summer...

Theres a ditch from a certain lake....

Default 270

That's a great picture. I think we always have a Juneau fishing thread because we actually have to wait for fish to show up. You POW guys just have to wait for.....what do you have to wait for? haha. Oh yeah, you wait for deer season to end. Must be nice down there in Paradise. Hopefully a few steelies start showing up here soon.

Come on, Boater!

Go out to dredge or twin lakes and catch a purdy smolt to post it for us man! I heard they're biting...

270...you're mean...
    Nice Marmot.

Hit the lakes again, nothing noteworthy exept for a 16" cutt, and a 9" coho that got lost and accidentally made his way into Crystal... apparently he didn't see the ADF&G sign "NO SALMON, TROUT, OR CHAR ALLOWED".

On another note, the hooters have decided to start their annual mating ritual. Just might spend next weekend carrying the .22 around a mountain.

twin lakes is fishless from when they drained it, in other words I got skunked at twin lakes

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast