Thread: 375 Wby Range Report + Oehler Chrono Question

Default 375 Wby Range Report + Oehler Chrono Question

Nothing too fascinating, but I shot my new 375 Wby DGR for about three hours today (60 rounds) in perfect weather -- 75-degrees, sunny, and no wind (literally).

Recoil was no problem with the 12-lb rifle.

How do you all measure your groups? From the outside/inside/middle of the bullet holes?

My good groups were within 3/4 inches measuring from the outside of the holes. Some were larger, but I am certain that that was due to user error.

I brought my new unused chrono, but did not set it up this time as it would have been difficult for the first time during the brief cease fires, and also a guy had one of those high-end Oehler Chronos and he let me shoot the 375 through it at the end of my extended range time. I only shot three of the 300gr NPs and two of the 260gr AB loads (I know more would be better, but I didn't want to impose on the guy). The Wby 300gr NP has a factgory listed muzzle velocity of 2,800fps, and the Nosler 260gr AB has a listed muzzle velocity of 3,000fps.

I assume the Oehler owner knows what he's talking about, but I thought I would double check with any experts out there because the numbers were higher than expected in a 24" barrel. The Oehler owner told me that the second column of numbers below is the one with the result. The printed results look like this:

For the 300gr NP:

2851-01-2900
    2828-02-2864
    2795-03-2831

For the 260gr AB:

2985-04-3038
    2991-05-3041

Is Oehler guy correct?

If so, those are some pretty amazing numbers.

Obviously, the Wby NPs appear more erratic (or erotic) based on this small sample.

Thanks in advance any comments on what I should take away from that.

Those numbers seem pretty normal for a .375 wby.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Nothing too fascinating, but I shot my new 375 Wby DGR for about three hours today (60 rounds) in perfect weather -- 75-degrees, sunny, and no wind (literally).

Recoil was no problem with the 12-lb rifle.

How do you all measure your groups? From the outside/inside/middle of the bullet holes?

My good groups were within 3/4 inches measuring from the outside of the holes. Some were larger, but I am certain that that was due to user error.

I brought my new unused chrono, but did not set it up this time as it would have been difficult for the first time during the brief cease fires, and also a guy had one of those high-end Oehler Chronos and he let me shoot the 375 through it at the end of my extended range time. I only shot three of the 300gr NPs and two of the 260gr AB loads (I know more would be better, but I didn't want to impose on the guy). The Wby 300gr NP has a factgory listed muzzle velocity of 2,800fps, and the Nosler 260gr AB has a listed muzzle velocity of 3,000fps.

I assume the Oehler owner knows what he's talking about, but I thought I would double check with any experts out there because the numbers were higher than expected in a 24" barrel. The Oehler owner told me that the second column of numbers below is the one with the result. The printed results look like this:

For the 300gr NP:

2851-01-2900
    2828-02-2864
    2795-03-2831

For the 260gr AB:

2985-04-3038
    2991-05-3041

Is Oehler guy correct?

If so, those are some pretty amazing numbers.

Obviously, the Wby NPs appear more erratic (or erotic) based on this small sample.

Thanks in advance any comments on what I should take away from that.
    I have an Oehler chronograph and the results look normal to me...in your gun this is likely what it does. Many times your gun will show better ballistics that published, but could be worse.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Interesting. Those numbers are getting close to 378 Wby published data. I am going to some private land in the Virginia "mountains" this weekend with family, and hope to play around with this more, and I should be able to try out my chrono on the same loads.

What surprised me about it was that I assume that Wby (I'm not sure about Nosler) tests their ammo in a 26" barrel, and I have a measly 24" barrel on mine. I assumed there would be some drop off from the published specs.

FWIW, when I fired through the chrono, Oehler guy had been shooting his pistol reloads at a 25 yd target (after testing out his 257 Roberts handloads for a few hours). When firing through the chrono, I fired in between two targets directly at the mound backstop that was covered with wet mulch. It was fun hearing the bystanders gasp as the impacts exploded the muddy mulch like a hit from an 88mm anti-tank round.

I doubt I really need this rifle, but I do think I am, at least, loaded for bear.

I admit that my rifle is obscenely heavy at 12 lbs (an excuse to stay in shape, but I can drop a pound at will by losing the bipod), but it fires comfortably, and I like it a lot. The weight, limbsaver pad, and mercury tube seem to make it feel like a 30 cal to me when firing. And honestly, aside from lugging the rifle around, I don't think I could handle an 8lb-9lb rifle any faster. At 12 lbs, it still points where I move it.

Another funny thing: One guy next to me had a new Walther bulpup rilfe in 22LR and offered to let me shoot it. I did in the middle of my 375 Wby shooting. After chambering a round, I slowly squeezed, and heard a "click." I put it on safe, and pulled the charging handle back, and a live round was in the chamber. I looked back at the owner and said I don't know what went wrong. He looked at it, and chambers another round and handed it to me. Again, I squeezed the trigger, but nothing but a "click." I put it on safe, and told him that I didn't know why it wasn't firing. He looked at me strangely and told me it fired both times. He thought i knew that. I explained that I didn't realize that, apparently having become accustomed to the heavier recoil and noise that afternoon. It's odd that I could hear the 22LR rifle being fired by others when I was at the adjacent bench, but not at all when firing it. It just seemed to go "click" like a toy gun.

Only thing I will comment on is you shoulda taken the opportunity to line your chrony up with the Oehler and let him shoot through it all day and hopefully get some varying light conditions. That's probably about as close as you'll ever get to gauging the accuracy of your unit. If you get that opportunity again, don't let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Only thing I will comment on is you shoulda taken the opportunity to line your chrony up with the Oehler and let him shoot through it all day and hopefully get some varying light conditions. That's probably about as close as you'll ever get to gauging the accuracy of your unit. If you get that opportunity again, don't let it go.
    If I understand you correctly, the guy, Chris, seemed very uninterested in my chrono--perhaps with good reason. His Oehler looked like something designed by NASA. If I had sniffed even a scent of interest, I gladly would have offered. He told me he comes to that range (new to me) regularly on Saturdays. So, I might try to do the same again. But I really did not want to bug the guy selfishly. Sadly, all I had to offer at the end was my sincere thanks and I told him that he really made my day. If you meant that I should have let him shoot my rifle, I offered and he had no interest, as did no one else. Like the 22LR guy: after shooting his, I offered to let him shoot the 375, and he eagerly declined.

Default Measure Groups? Here's how:

Use your caliper to measure the group from the outside edges of the two bullet holes furthest apart. Then subtract one bullet diameter (.375" in this case) from the measurement. That will give you the center to center group size, which is the standard way target groups are measured.
    Best Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    If I understand you correctly, the guy, Chris, seemed very uninterested in my chrono--perhaps with good reason. His Oehler looked like something designed by NASA. If I had sniffed even a scent of interest, I gladly would have offered. He told me he comes to that range (new to me) regularly on Saturdays. So, I might try to do the same again. But I really did not want to bug the guy selfishly. Sadly, all I had to offer at the end was my sincere thanks and I told him that he really made my day. If you meant that I should have let him shoot my rifle, I offered and he had no interest, as did no one else. Like the 22LR guy: after shooting his, I offered to let him shoot the 375, and he eagerly declined.
    Actually, what I meant was, see if he would mind for you to set your unit up right behind his. and let him shoot his stuff through it as long as he was shooting, whether you shoot yours through it would be no big deal. I know what you mean about not wanting to step on any toes. If you can get on good terms with the guy and he is amiable, I would take the opportunity to run mine right behind his and sit there with binoculars or spotting scope and record the numbers as he shot. It will be a real eye opener, and I can just about guarantee you, that you will come away not trusting the ES your unit is telling you and you can get and overall feel for how accurate yours is, give or take. Let him shoot as many shots through it as he can. The more you see the better and the greater the variety of light condition the better. You might ask him if he has run his against anything else. Oehlers are good, but not necessarily perfect.

I had a 375 Weatherby once, lets see broke my nose shooting up hill at a cow elk... If the 1st shot wasn;t enough I did it again with the 2nd shot so to good punishing hits to my nose. I saw stars my buddy jumps out of the truck and asks me if I'm alright LOL. 1st shot broke her back second one broke her neck heck I least I hit it.. LOL soon after I traded it for something and to this day I do not regret that trade. Oh I had no limbsaver, mecury reducer and the gun wieghed about 8 lbs I guess. If I remember right my load was 80 gr of IMR 4064 with a 270 gr hornady. I bore sighted it and it took me two shots to get it where I wanted it I could not take anymore pain. That was probably the hardest kicking rifle I ever shot. I'm in tears just thinking about it...

Gotta love that caliber for mule kicking
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I had a 375 Weatherby once, lets see broke my nose shooting up hill at a cow elk... If the 1st shot wasn;t enough I did it again with the 2nd shot so to good punishing hits to my nose. I saw stars my buddy jumps out of the truck and asks me if I'm alright LOL. 1st shot broke her back second one broke her neck heck I least I hit it.. LOL soon after I traded it for something and to this day I do not regret that trade. Oh I had no limbsaver, mecury reducer and the gun wieghed about 8 lbs I guess. If I remember right my load was 80 gr of IMR 4064 with a 270 gr hornady. I bore sighted it and it took me two shots to get it where I wanted it I could not take anymore pain. That was probably the hardest kicking rifle I ever shot. I'm in tears just thinking about it...
    That sounds terrible. You're making me feel good about weighing the rifle down a bit. It's really a pleasure to shoot compared to what you went through. I just can't imagine shooting a rifle in a caliber like that, which only weighed eight lbs and also didn't have a good recoil pad.

I wonder what the effect of the mercury tube is--great or small. I'll never know unless I shoot one of similar weight without one. With the pad, weight, and tube, it feels more like a strong push than a sharp smack. It is far more comfortable to shoot than my fairly-light Remington 870 firing sabot slugs.

It's relative to what you can handle. The one I've shot (a 9 lb sako) almost came out of my hands the first trip to the range. So I put the cheapest recoil reducer first a nice pad that helped enough to shoot 1 inch groups. My .416 is going to be done soon we'll see how that grabs me.
    Unknown author

Stock design and material can have as much or more to do with FELT recoil as over-all wieght of the rifle.