Thread: Fish Finders

Default Fish Finders

I have a 2003 Garmin Plotter and sonar, nice for its age, but its outdated as compared to the newer technologies and not effective as a fish finder.

Does anyone here have or tried one of these other brands:

Lowrance Mark 5 Pro Series

Hummingbird 800 Series, 898c SI Combo

Furno FCV-585

Thx.

You can try this one, but it might be a little unstable.

Phish Finder
    Premium Member

About Phish Finder
    Biography
    Here fishy, fishy, fishy
    Interests
    Raising my children, starting to use ATV's,fishing, diving
    Occupation
    consultant
    Signature

><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

A friend got a furuno fcv 620 last year and said it is an amazing unit. The 585 is better yet with the 1kw power, especially if you match it with an airmar multi element transducer.

I waffled between the 620 and 585 last year and ended up not getting one. From the research I did, they are as good as it gets for a sport fishing boat.

Those "other" brands shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Furuno, IMO.

I've been using an "outdated" FCV582c for 12 years, its still better then most units out there. If and when it finally takes a dump on me I'll probably replace it with the 585 or whatever Furuno is offering at the time. Probably still a few years down the road before I have to cross that bridge, being a Furuno and all.

Don't even think about the other stuff just buy the furuno with the 1kwof power, you'll be seeing the bugs antena's sticking up between the rocks. I've got a 20 year old Koden on my rig but after the shows i'm thinking about a high powered upgrade

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have a kingfisher paper graph. I can find a coke can on the bottom of the ocean with it. I like the side imaging of the humminbird, but I am probably going to put the FCV-620 on mine as my secondary.

Default Furuno

I have the 585 and it is a great machine, very clear and picks up even more than my simrad. I think you would be happy with the furuno digital fishfinder.

Mel

www.kodiakislandadventures.com

Keep in mind that a fish finder is only as good as its resolution. The 620 only has 320 x 240 pixels while the 585 has double that at 640 x 480. Which do you think is going to give you a better picture of what's down there? If you can afford it go with the 585.

I wouldn't even consider a monochrome low power unit like the Mark 5 Pro. Especially if you can afford something like the Furunos of Humminbirds. Having a color display is a big plus.

Humminbirds are good units---I use a 787 C2 and it's a very good unit with 640 x 480 resolution. I just wish I'd gotten one with a bigger screen. It's nice and compact, which works well for where I have it mounted, but having extra screen size can be a good thing. Get the biggest screen size you can.

Hope that helps.