Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Sorry Mr. halibut

  1. #1

    Default Sorry Mr. halibut

    15" overall length...can`t wait, off to Latouche in 2 weeks.


  2. #2
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Gotta think big to get big. Good Luck!!!! Who makes that big pink jig. Looks like a huge berkley gulp bait with a skirt.

  3. #3

    Default

    Not sure who makes the swimbait. It`s white with pink/red sheen like some of the Kahlin (sp) grubs. The 8/0 Gama stinger looks small.

  4. #4
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Thumbs up Nice!

    I like it!

    what are you using to attach the stinger hook? looks like some sort of wire.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  5. #5
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    That oughta work!

    Last year out of curiosity/boredom I made up some mondo "flies"/jigs. Lings attacked them, they really like the action of the swim baits.


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I like it!

    what are you using to attach the stinger hook? looks like some sort of wire.
    80lb. dacron with a loop knot so I can pop it off for tail changes.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    That oughta work!

    Last year out of curiosity/boredom I made up some mondo "flies"/jigs. Lings attacked them, they really like the action of the swim baits.

    That bucktail/swimbait combo looks like a good and deadly combo.

  8. #8
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Unfortunately fairly fragile. The fisrt ling pretty much destroyed the maribou, and the second one wiped out the tail. I might have to tie a few more this season, and see if the maribou will hold up better if epoxied to the jig.

  9. #9
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Unfortunately fairly fragile. The fisrt ling pretty much destroyed the maribou, and the second one wiped out the tail. I might have to tie a few more this season, and see if the maribou will hold up better if epoxied to the jig.

    You might try some bunny fur. Works great on flesh flies, should do well on a jig.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  10. #10
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You might try some bunny fur. Works great on flesh flies, should do well on a jig.
    I second that... marabou is never going to hold up to more than one or two lings. Go with bunny fur (zonker strips).

    I tied up some mondo fly/jigs with rabbits fur last year and they caught a lot of lings and rockfish. I don't have any pictures on this computer, but I'll post some when I get home tonight.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  11. #11

    Default

    It has the "cool" factor, that's for sure. Looks like a good jig to use in areas where the big hali are feeding on cod.

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    15" overall length...can`t wait, off to Latouche in 2 weeks.


  12. #12
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    These are some 6oz jigs I experimented with last year. They accounted for numerous halibut, ling and rockfish. The rabbit strips took a fair beating, but hang in there pretty well.


    Generation 2 - ready to try out this year.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  13. #13
    Member Ryan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    These are some 6oz jigs I experimented with last year. They accounted for numerous halibut, ling and rockfish. The rabbit strips took a fair beating, but hang in there pretty well.


    Generation 2 - ready to try out this year.
    Those look pretty sweet Rich. What would it take to get a few?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Man that looks tastey. love the back ground in the pic it worth a thousand words


    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    It has the "cool" factor, that's for sure. Looks like a good jig to use in areas where the big hali are feeding on cod.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •