Thread: Grizzly 550?

Default Grizzly 550?

I've been riding a Kodiak 400 for the last 7 years and recently purchased a 2009 Grizzly 550 EPS. Here's the kicker, I am out of state until the end of May and have never even ridden a 550. Most of the traffic on this board seems centered around the big bore machines and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to seriously regret not getting the 700. My 400 got me in and out of the bait station, moose camp, chitna, chicken, and countless other places. I figured the 550 would be as much machine as I would ever need, but I'm wondering if I'm really missing out on something by not getting one of the big boys. Is the power increase from the 400 to the 550 going to enough, or is it just going to wet my appetite for more?

Thanks,
    Dave

I ended up buying a used 2007 700 because the 550s with FI / EPS are really not available used. I looked at buying new and if I had bought new I would have bought a 550.

My research led me to these conclusions You won't notice much difference until you top out and the 550 will get slightly better mileage than a 700.

For what its worth the 660 is a great machine and I was told the a 550 with FI and EPS will hang with them no problem. Bigger is always nice, but as long as you got a good deal on your 550 I'd be content. You got a great machine that will do everything your old one did and then some. If you really get the urge for a bigger machine in a few years let me know. I'd like to get a used 550 for my 2nd machine in 2-3 years. : ) Just don't post stories about how high you jumped it or how deep you buried it in a river... : )

I wouldn't even sweat it. I recently sold a King Quad 750 due to some weird circumstances, then some things changed and I realized I need a wheeler to play with this coming summer, so I bought a Grizzly 550 w/ p/s. Yeah it doesn't quite have the same snort the 750 did, but its got plenty of power. The ride is absolutely awesome, and the p/s is unbelievable. Just yesterday i went for a trail ride in a bunch of the wet slushy crap we have right now, and it blows my mind to be able to be in 4wd Low w/ diff lock on and still be able to turn sharply with no added effort. The biggest thing I can suggest to you is, dont buy big azz tires for it. The Grizzly 550 has near 12" of Ground Clearance stock, which is more than a 500 Foreman with 28" tires on it. If you want better tires, buy some that have the tread you desire and are close to the factory size. I put some 26" Maxxis Zillas on mine and the power idn't change, the ride is great, and they have lots of traction.

Default Thanks

AlaskaCub,
    Thanks for the insight. It's nice to hear that you went from a 750 to 550 and haven't been disappointed. I guess I must be experiencing a little machine envy with all the threads on the 700-800 class machines.

chasing,
    It's always funny to see machines for sale with pictures of them 6 feet in the air. My sled gets some air time, but I try to keep the ATV wheels on the ground.

Dave, don't worry about your choice. The 550 is a great machine. If you want more information about the 550 go to the web page in my signature. Tons of reading...I am a moderator over there so look me up! That site is dedicated to everything Grizzly...from 80cc all the way up to 700cc. There is some Rhino information there as well. Become a member and introduce yourself to the group. Best Grizzly site on the internet and largest dedicated Grizzly site on the planet!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

AKMuddy,
    Thanks for the link, lots of great info on the Grizzley.

Quote Originally Posted by D.W.T View Post
    AKMuddy,
    Thanks for the link, lots of great info on the Grizzly.
    No problem!!! Look me up over there and make sure you let folks know you are from Alaska (there are several of us over there).

We are planning a trip to Eureka on July 4th weekend. I know it is a long drive but feel free to come down and hang out if you have the time. We will be down there camping/riding for 3-5 days. First beer is on me.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    No problem!!! Look me up over there and make sure you let folks know you are from Alaska (there are several of us over there).

We are planning a trip to Eureka on July 4th weekend. I know it is a long drive but feel free to come down and hang out if you have the time. We will be down there camping/riding for 3-5 days. First beer is on me.
    Thanks for the invite. I was looking at spending that weekend on the Denali, so Eureka's not really that much further.

Quote Originally Posted by D.W.T View Post
    Thanks for the invite. I was looking at spending that weekend on the Denali, so Eureka's not really that much further.
    Let me know.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Thumbs up

The 550 will have more than enough "snort", "oomph", "power", "balls", "juevos", "cahones", "go", "pull", "juice", "muscle", "torque", "horsepower", "horses", "pony"....

Um, yeah.. You get the idea.

I bought a 700 just because the 550 didn't exist at the time and I figured that if I was going to be spending a boadload of coin, I may as well shell out another bucket full and get the meanest bear in the woods.

Don't get rid of your 550. Ride the heck out of it, and if you somehow really need the extra power (you wont), THEN consider selling it... to ME!

Zeb