Thread: caribou decoy

Default caribou decoy

I was wondering if anyone could give us their accounts of using one of the Montana caribou decoys while bou hunting. Do they work to get close enough for a bow shot?
    Anyone have any experiences with them?

Default Not Yet

I have not used the Montana as of yet. Kind of spendy.

But about three years ago there was an archery couple up on the haul road using a home made decoy. They did not have any success while I was there but claim they had been using it for three years.

I think they might work. The eye sight of caribou does not seem that great as long as you are stationary. I have had cows and calves run up to me not knowing what I was just looking at the forward profile of me. So did they recognise the tall object as another possible caribou. Not sure. But a decoy sure has possibilities.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Jerod used one 2-3 years ago had good luck but were rifle hunting. maybe he will chime give first hand account
    i plan on getting one for this year. wish cabelas carried them have gift certificates i could used for one.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Caribou Decoys

I think they would work great based on some limited experience. Using just a white reversable jacket and holding a shed antler over my head I have on three different occasions brought small mixed groups into about 50-60 yards out from 150-200 yards. Would have worked great for rifle hunting, but I was bow hunting and this was beyound my skill level. With a good decoy I'm pretty sure you could get them in closer. They all seemed to be quite curious and want to investigate. One group of about 30 circled me twice, keeping their 50-60 yard distance!

Here are a couple of video's with using the decoy. We haven't been able to get one into bow range with the decoy yet, but it definately perks their interest. I'd like to get a little more ground time with it though. This was a proto-type decoy that Montana Decoy sent us back in '06. They made a few changes to it, but we haven't put the new model to use yet.

The first video was playing with a young bull off the Haul Road. He came into 80 yards, but that was it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlpXy4cRQZk

The second video was the second time we used the decoy on that trip, and definately the most successful outing we had. The bulls spotted us and took off outta dodge. We threw up the decoy, and the caribou stopped on top of a hill almost 3/4 of a mile away, looked at it for a bit and came straight in. They stopped about 100 yards out because the wind blew the decoy down and Jeff was standing there exposed to the bou. The big bull got hit a little far back, so we had to get back on him and put him down. I had the timing set wrong when I did this edit, so sorry for the choppiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n9Tx6Vu7KU

Default caribou decoys

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like it may still be a little difficult getting within bow range even with the decoy. I was talking to a guy the other day that is going antelope hunting this fall and he is buying a decoy that you mount on your bow and shoot through. For the antelope, it is a decoy of a cow since they are used to seeing cattle up close. Here is a link for it: http://www.outfoxedproducts.com/zebu.htm
    Thought this might work for bou (of course it would have to be a bou decoy and not a cow) if it is not to windy. What do you think? The Montana decoy doesn't mount on your bow or have the shooting window does it?

You should also try the Caribou call with the decoy, I bought both this this with hopes of going up this fall. I know the Moose decoy and calling works been using that decoy for several years. I bought the Extreme caribou calling video and they were calling in caibou from over 100 yards away.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default montana decoy

I took one up to the haul road 2 years ago. We gave it a really hard try,stalking behind it and still hunting. It appeared to scare the bou more than any other response. Gave it away and went back to crawling>

We tried it last year. Like others said, it worked to get within rifle range but not even close to getting within archery range. We won't bring it again

Default Decoy

Thanks guys. I thought it was worth asking about. By the video posted by Jerod, you can definetly tell that the bou get nervous when they get so close. I guess I will just crawl and use what cover I can find.
    Andy

use decoy with two people ....2nd 100 yards downwind from one with decoy. curious bou will circle downwind sometimes to see what it really is. just a thought
    they don't like double bull blinds either, skirt them at about 80 yards.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 04-08-2010 at 10:21. Reason: spelling
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I seen a bow hunter have a half cow moose lookin decoy sneaking up on a young bull,don't know what the young bou was thinking but came into 50 yrds only to run off,didn't see the rest unfold but he didn't run that far and still looked interested.

Another good thing to use is the reflective tint you use on windows. we made a square out of PVC and then ran another PVC pole down the middle and on the bottom of the we made a sharp point. we velco the reflective sheet on and tilted it alittle bit forward. We walked up on many animals. when they look at it they see them selves of just the ground.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wink How 'bout a mirror?

I'd love to see video footage of someone using a mirror.

Default Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    I'd love to see video footage of someone using a mirror.
    Here is a mirror blind. I only wonder about the sunlight reflecting by mistake. Might blind someone.

http://www.ghostblind.com/video-album-set-up-clean.html

Default mirror

I watched guys on the Haul road use a mirror. The bou closed the 700 yard gap more than the guys going towards the bou. They got busted under a 100 yards. Very interesting stalk to watch. There is an outfit (don't recall the name) that sells tactical mirrors for swat teams. Their video shows a guy putting a stalk on an elk with a handgun.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.