Thread: explain king leaders?

Default explain king leaders?

Could use some input on line vs leader set ups. I've heard a few different things and some rather conflicting. I've heard of using 30lb main then 25lb leader, 30lb main and 40lb leader, 50 braided and lesser mono for leader
    and several other things but no real explanations for the different setups.

What do you use WHEN, WHERE, HOW, WHY?

I realize that there is a difference if you are backtrolling vs maybe combat fishing but if you could provide a couple of different examples as a general rule of thumb it would be greatly appreciated.

I like 20 pound maxima ultragreen
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

For spring kings (trolling w/ and w/o downrigger in saltwater), I go 40# flouro or regular mono. Prefer flouro for hootchys

6/0 Gammy's with a solid tie. Rarely I will use 5/0. For herring I have both hooks facing the same side. For hootchys, I use a 180 degree opposite orientation.

I will sometimes go to the lighter 30# for coho's. 50# is overkill for salmon, but o.k. for halibut.

I feel stiffer leader is better for flashers and dodgers. It help impart the action of the hardware better.

Lighter than 20# is not for me with toothy critters. Kings and cohos have pretty sharp teeth.

Pretty much 30# mono mainline for kings. 20-25# o.k. for silvers. Again, trolling from a boat.
    Last edited by L. G.; 04-01-2010 at 13:18. Reason: . . .

I use 30 lb mono. If I use a leader it will usually be the same line as is on the pole. I keep the remnants of each years spool in my box of spin in glo's.

Default Rivers

I guess that I should have specified river fishing.

Default Leaders for Kings

I think most guys that fish the Kenai use 40-60 lb leaders. Thats what I use on that river. My main line is 30lb. It is the same whether I am back bouncing or back trolling. The heavy leader helps with the big teeth on the big bruisers.

When I fish the Anchor or Ninilchik I use 20 lb. mono and same on the leader.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I use 17# mono with a 20# steel leader. Usually a 20" leader agead of a Wiggle Wart, Flatfish or something similar if just letting it sit behind the boat and work in the current.

On my real light spinning rod/reel I use 10# mono with a steal leader casting Wiggle Wats, Mepps or Blue Fox spinners for Kings and Flash-Glows for Silvers.

Default Kenai River Kings

I use Maxima 40# main line and 60# Maxima big Game leader, I have only broke off two kings. Their teeth are very sharp. I always change the leader after catching a King, The next one could be the world record.

Your leader should be "weaker" than your main line. In the event you snag up, the leader will break rather than your main line. On the Kenai, I use 40# leader with 60lb braided main line. When I snag up, the leader breaks at the connection of the swivel. On other rivers, I use 25# test for leader material. You can buy monofilament that is specifically made for "shock". I've also just used regular Stren/Trilene material and have not really seen a difference from specific liter material (unless you are talking fly fishing"). The leader concept also allows you to pre tie many setups prior to fishing and saving you time to fish rather than tieing up at the river.

Depends on method of fishing and the lure/bait/hook arrangement. I'm pretty clueless in freshwater. For salt, here are my ideas.

*Mooching herring: 4/0 to 6/0 hooks in a solid tandem tie, 25# - 30# and keep an eye on them for fraying.

*Trolling bait (herring, anchovy) with no flasher: similar/same as mooching

*Trolling bait (herring, anchovy) or spoons behind 8" or 11" hotspot-type flasher: 40# due to resistance flasher adds. Still, you'll have a rough time with a hot 40# + fish, because the flasher adds so much drag when he runs. Heavier leader will restrict bait or lure action.

*Trolling hoochie behind flasher: 50-60# as the stiff leader adds action to the hoochie.

*Trolling spoons with no flasher: 20# as your line is well protected by the spoon length from teeth and the spoon's action likes the lighter line

*Trolling plugs or apexes (no flasher) with line threaded through lure to barrel swivel / hook: 25-30#, due to proximity of teeth to line.

I use 20# mainline. Anything larger/fatter bellies out too much when trolling deeper than 60'.

some people like to turn fishing into rocket science. Just tie on a hook cast it out and have fun. All these scientific angling tactics drive me nuts. Oh and you don't have to have a 300 dollar rod and look like a model for cabelas, walmart has everything you ned to tackle any fish you want.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    some people like to turn fishing into rocket science. Just tie on a hook cast it out and have fun. All these scientific angling tactics drive me nuts. Oh and you don't have to have a 300 dollar rod and look like a model for cabelas, walmart has everything you ned to tackle any fish you want.
    Your dead on, fishing isn't rocket science, it is much more complicated!

I prefer heavy leader for two reasons.

1) Better abrasion resistance against bite-offs.
    2) I like to grab the leader for a quick release of any king under 30# or so.

For pulling plugs, I use 40# Maxima UG. A K-16 Kwik acts as a big deflector to keep teeth away from the leader to prevent bite-offs.

For fishing eggs/Glo's where the leader is less protected and more easily chafed, I go with 60# as extra insurance against sharp teeth.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Just Saying

Being that you will be bank fishing and you are heading towards the Kenai with an RV and you might end up Parks road side fishing as well.

Rule of Thumb IMO for your access and method is 40 LBS leader. Keeps it simple for your method i.e. you don't have to go around having to think about it to much and for the most part you will be able to Getter Done with 40.